How many of you wait for your target buck...

I generally consume 6 to 9 deer a year(public land does mostly) but it took me 15 years to drop my first buck, who was the one I was after. I've had years where I'll only chase a certain buck and other years that it's anything mature if given the opportunity. This is in my home state of Wisconsin.
In upper Michigan all standards go out the window.
One year I was dead set on killing a 7 year old, I hunted every day from September 15th until the Thursday before gun season. Every single day I'd get home to at least hunt the last hour on field edges. I had seen him multiple times out of range as I was hunting low impact stands if wind wasn't perfect. Finally the Thursday before gun season i set up about 60 yards from his bed, he gave me a 20 yard broadside opportunity. I passed him as his right antler was broken off and blood down side of his head. I cried and laughed while sitting 25 feet up in a cherry tree. To this day that hang on is still in the tree even though I've never sat there again. Still not sure if I made the right choice, after all i was hunting the buck not the horns, maybe I don't know. A young hunter killed him opening day of gun season late morning. He wasn't even excited as it was 'just a one horned buck'. Large piece of skull was missing so who knows if he would have survived

Why do YOU think he only comes at night? Why does he come in November and December as opposed to other months? Is he a loner? Does he like or dislike other deer outside of the rut, bucks and does? Is there anything you can give him that he can’t get any other place within his range?

I’ve been pretty much a bow hunter since my teens and been at it for about 35 years now. I am in north Texas which is very different than the brush country in south Texas. I’ve owned my 54 acres for about 10 years now and the droptine buck has been around for most of those years. I have taken a couple of really nice bucks that were my targets in prior seasons so I do have some experience in chasing one specific buck. I realize that most years I am not going to be successful by focusing on one specific buck but I’m good with that.

The drop tine buck is a loner, I rarely ever see him with other deer. I also don’t think he breeds does any longer as I have photos of him in my food plots essentially ignoring the does in the immediate area. He also had a tendency to break one or more tines every year but has not done this recently so I believe he is no longer aggressive with other bucks now. As to why he only shows up at night, either 1. He knows that I am there. Or 2. He has been around so long that he recognizes that he is safest moving after dark. Maybe a combination of both but I do my best to stay out of the area and keep my scent down. He has started to decline in antler size and I would guess he probably has another season or two left at best.
He also never visits my bean plots in the summer but will make his first appearance (usually once) in September or October so his summer range may not be in my area.
Realistically I doubt I will ever put this buck down. He may have to be placed in the category of unkillable because how do you put down a buck that no longer chases does and is essentially nocturnal. The most obvious answer is you don’t but I have several sheds of his that I have found on the property over the years and it’s been a fun ride and again that’s why they call it hunting.

I definitely target only certain bucks. Only once have I taken the buck I was after, that was 2 years ago and it was the first buck I had taken in 4 years. We use our cameras to show us what is available and where they are showing up. We usually only target 135 class and up. This year I had one buck that’s was a shooter and I think he was killed during gun season because he hasn’t re appeared after the opening weekend.
Last week I moved 2 of my cameras to feeders so I can take an inventory of what made it through the season. My daughter and son both shot does this year so we have meat and try to keep the does in check by taking at least 2 every year. I don’t really worry if a buck is only showing up at night because when the rut starts they usually become careless and show themselves. Of course not when i’m there, but on camera lol. I understand your buck is different and I have no idea how you would be able to take that buck. Last year I shot a buck I hadn’t seen in 2 years and had figured he was shot long ago. I even deleted pics of him because he had not been on camera for 2 years (that’s the buck in my avatar)so cams don’t show you all the deer and at what time of day they move.
Telemetry studies show that some bucks are home body’s an don’t range far and wide like other bucks so it comes down to personality. I hope your able to take him. And if you do please let us know how you did it.

I’m like a number if others on here; I have never had a single target buck, but rather always after an age class of buck. Sure, there are usually one or two deer I would love to see, but rarely am I holding out for one deer.

Instead of waiting for target bucks to show up during daylight I prefer to hunt high quality days (weather, moon, wind, date, etc) and try to hunt with as little intrusion as possible. The biggest buck I’ve ever killed (profile pic) I had never laid eyes on in person or on camera before he walked by my stand on November 17th. I pulled cards that day and he had showed up the night before (2 am) on the camera in front of that stand. The trail he was on wouldn’t have taken him past the cameras again and he likely could have left and I never would have gotten another picture of him. About 1/4 of the mature bucks I’ve killed I have never seen on camera before. I average one camera per 15 acres of timber on my property (or 1 camera per 40 total acres).

My goal is to keep as little pressure on the animals in General year round. As the surrounding people start pressuring the herd and hunting sloppy, I slowly collect their deer. They get night pictures. I get Day pictures. Eventually my stand location and the buck cross paths. I don’t obsess over a deer or hunt sloppy. If I don’t connect he’ll be bigger next year.

i wish i didn't have to target specific bucks but i end up doing so only because i rarely have more than one older buck utilizing the properties i hunt. Its very rare to have more than one deer older than 3 using the property at any level. This year on the 3 properties i hunt i only had one older buck that i know of using one piece and luckily i ended up putting my tag on him.

Threads like these always illuminate the vast differences of deer hunting styles and traditions across our country. No "target buck" here. Deer rarely move in patterns that make them predictable. Even if I could ID a target buck, if I waited until he showed up on daylight pics to start hunting him I would end up sitting out most of the season. And by the time I did get a pic of him during daylight, it would be too late anyway, as I only check my cams when I enter for a sit.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the luxury of being able to ID several hit list bucks and pass on 3 YO 8 and 10 pointers that don't quite cut it...give them all kinds of cutesy names. Just not the way it works in my neck of the woods.

Not possible to pattern a buck here, so trail cams just tell us whats possible. And there is always a chance at one that never showed up on cams.

I think more importantly we don't hunt until late October except for an extremely low impact youth hunt here and there. If we hunt early the mature does learn our stand locations (regardless of how careful we are with the wind/travel routes). Once they know where we are all bets are off. They become very nocturnal and hard to see, much less a buck that might be chasing them. The down side of that is we don't hunt all that much. The up side is our opportunities at shooters has gone way up since we started doing this. There is plenty of other things to do in the fall as well.

-John

I think a big part of chasing a certain buck is spending stupid amounts of time in low impact observation stands and shineing right at dusk. Shineing late at night and cam pics late night is great for inventory but tells you little hunting Intel. Setting up almost on bedding after Intel is gathered at only the perfect time(wind). This is why I don't anticipate having a target buck anytime in the next decade at home. I really enjoy the property and improvement even thou it likely sacrifices chances at mature bucks. For now my targets have always been on public land. Sounds crazy but I think the reality is many of us spend too much time on our properties that they end up more pressured than some public lands. I can hold resident does even with my activity level on property but I know the only time I realistically will see a mature buck on the hoof at home is during the first 7 days of November

Agree Northbound

I know in my current state of operation I am doing more short term harm than good. But the long term payoff is worth the investment in my eyes. Management means always having an eye towards the future.

I also agree northbound.

That is why I am considering having two primary areas that I focus on during the season. On the west side of my property I plan to try to take a doe and spend more time on. The east side where most of the travel corridors exist, I am going to do my best to stay out of until I see a buck that I want to go after. I am also running the cuddylink cameras so hopefully I can set those and then wait and see if I notice a difference between the two set ups. I also do a lot of different activities on my property during the off season but usually around the first of September, I stop my activities and stay out of the east side unless I am working on food plots. This allows the deer to settle down and hopefully stay active during daylight hours.

all this said, my target buck was on camera yesterday at 3:30. This afternoon, I'll be out enjoying all 11 degrees. In the wind.On a ridge top. My wife says I'm an idiot.

[
Realistically I doubt I will ever put this buck down. He may have to be placed in the category of unkillable because how do you put down a buck that no longer chases does and is essentially nocturnal. The most obvious answer is you don’t but I have several sheds of his that I have found on the property over the years and it’s been a fun ride and again that’s why they call it hunting.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you. If he is that old he may be one that can’t be killed legally. I really agree with your statement that he probably knows night time is the safest time. I have a one buck for sure on me that can’t be killed in my opinion. He is nearly a ghost, and will most likely die of old age this winter.

My target buck for 2019 may be the same. Although he is younger, will turn 7.5 this year. However, he was never photographed in the daylight or seen this year. He too shows up at the farm later in the fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Target buck"? What's that? In my area, I typically don't see a good buck multiple times....daylight or not. I may be after a certain buck, but I sure don't wait just for him. I have harvest criteria I look for and the first buck that walks by that gives me that gets it! I make a few exceptions (this year was a good case of that as the buck was certainly old enough but had a bum leg). Maybe I am a crappy hunter and can;t pattern these older bucks, maybe they don't live on or real close to my place...in any case I sure do not get tunnel vision. Now, I also am in a one buck state as well. So I only get one. Regardless of season or weapon used...one. That's it. Has this bit me before...sure it has. But that's the gamble you take. Pass a nice buck and hope for a huge one, or tag a nice buck and if a huge one shows up later....you gotta sit on your hands? I'll take a nice 130 to 140 inch deer any day vs wait 3 or 4 years to take a 160" deer.

"Target buck"? What's that? In my area, I typically don't see a good buck multiple times....daylight or not. I may be after a certain buck, but I sure don't wait just for him. I have harvest criteria I look for and the first buck that walks by that gives me that gets it! I make a few exceptions (this year was a good case of that as the buck was certainly old enough but had a bum leg). Maybe I am a crappy hunter and can;t pattern these older bucks, maybe they don't live on or real close to my place...in any case I sure do not get tunnel vision. Now, I also am in a one buck state as well. So I only get one. Regardless of season or weapon used...one. That's it. Has this bit me before...sure it has. But that's the gamble you take. Pass a nice buck and hope for a huge one, or tag a nice buck and if a huge one shows up later....you gotta sit on your hands? I'll take a nice 130 to 140 inch deer any day vs wait 3 or 4 years to take a 160" deer.

I use to be that way, now I'm the opposite. I'd rather eat a tag than shoot something smaller. My properties hold bucks from year to year pretty well. I know if I shoot the 140s they won't be 160.

all this said, my target buck was on camera yesterday at 3:30. This afternoon, I'll be out enjoying all 11 degrees. In the wind.On a ridge top. My wife says I'm an idiot.

Weatherman screwed me and the wind was just wobbling all over the place. Including down the hill into the bedding. And the deer that did happen by freaked out about that giant blob in a tree when everything else is white.

Jerks.

I don't wait till I see him on camera. I put cameras out in the middle of August and don't check them again until Thanksgiving time. We have two farms, on is 80 acres and the other is 50(both with relatively high deer densities, the 80 more so than the 50) and we only hunt the perimeter. We wait until the right wind to hunt certain stands but also it has to be the right time of the year. My trail cam pics have told me when the relative time of the year the bucks get out to start checking the does and going in front of stands.

My farms are home to good populations of doe family groups and some bucks but come mid Oct. 4 to 6 new bucks show up that weren't on summer camera surveys.(cards I pull in Aug.) They usually are the same bucks that showed up the year(s) before around the same time. This is when we will start hunting if the right conditions happen, including being off of work for the day.:) That has saved a few bucks lives according to camera.

It seems that mid Oct is the time to start getting into the stand on my farms, especially on a cold front with a north wind. Since we have been disciplining ourselves to only hunt the right conditions and or the right winds are days in stand per deer harvested have gone way down. In the past 4 years we have taken 8 bucks 4.5 or older in 11 days of hunting with two taken by archery and the rest by rifle. I didn't add muzzle loader into mix as usually by then the age class bucks we are after are gone and I'm hunting for something new showing up. I've had old enough bucks show up but wanted to give them another year during this time.

With smaller farms of 80 and 50 one will make their hunting poorer the more times they hunt it especially if one doesn't have in and out access that keeps from alerting the deer one is there. Since changing this variable and only hunting edges of property, deer sightings have kept up to almost the same throughout the season, muzzleloader sightings are plentiful as well. We kill our does in the Jan. antlerless season to keep our intrusion at a minimum until after we can take a buck. Also I believe having more does around to get bred will bring and keep more bucks coming around through the season. If they are dead early that won't happen.

The ground that surrounds the 80 is pounded hard by the leasees. Their access sucks and they dont shy away from letting the deer know they are on the property. This helps us tremendously as long as we adhere to the strategies mentioned above.

I use to be that way, now I'm the opposite. I'd rather eat a tag than shoot something smaller. My properties hold bucks from year to year pretty well. I know if I shoot the 140s they won't be 160.
I agree 1000%....the thing is you have to have a reasonable expectation of being able to see that deer again next year and/or know that your area can/will produce deer that size. My property...it's layout, how it fits into the bigger picture and how the mature deer use it...stacks the odds significantly against me. The genetics and the like are here...the habitat isn't. It's just a fact and unless I want to give up nearly $20k a year in additional income from tillable ground being rented...that isn't going to change. This is all part of having "reasonable expectations" when it comes to setting goals for yourself and property.

Im looking for a buck that makes my heart race and weak in the knees. Due to my location the odds of getting a buck larger than my target buck is good. So I am out there when I can.

I have, like swat I'm in an area where if you let one walk there is a chance It will live. Not a gaurentee, but a chance.

I've had many years with all my tags at the end of the season. It's not for the faint of heart and I don't think it should even be considered on properties that have little chance that a passed buck will live or return.

Right now I don't have a target buck for next year so? Who knows if I'll play that game next year. I have one I wouldn't shoot if a gun was held on me.....he needs a few years and if gets them he has the potential to be really special. That's another nut case game. Putting good ones on the do not shoot list. But it can be painful :). Neighbors buddy shot one on my do not shoot list this year. I was happy that he was happy, but that bucks not getting any bigger or coming by me.

I also target older bucks that don't seem to have the potential to be special. I'd much rather shoot a 4 year old 8 than a 3 year old 12.

I realize how far fetched all that can sound to hunters that hunt in areas where it would impossible. Right now "I" like playing the game this way. That may change down the road. At the end of the day this has to be fun. If you suck the fun out of it, it will get old fast.

Last edited: