How long you've owned your hunting land

If you own yours, how long have you had your hunting land

• Total voters

tooln

5 year old buck +
Would you have waited or bought it sooner?

I wish I would have bought mine earlier in life.

I wish I would have bought mine earlier in life.

Agree, allot of satisfaction owning land.

Agree, allot of satisfaction owning land.
I know...I love it!
I put 15-20 years

its hard for me to answer with just one timeframe. I bought my first little piece of land when I was 19, and bought a little land joining my place about every 5 year's since I was 19 and I'm 42 and just bought another 15 acres.

As far as earlier or wait goes, I would have loved to had got my whole place at one time instead of little here and little there!

Last edited:
Best investment I ever made. My wife would agree.

We are always buying and selling, tough to fix a length of time other than I bought my first couple of pieces of land in the late 70's and early 80's. Been flipping hunting and farm land ever since. I enjoy fixing properties up for the next guy, and letting a few friends hunt on them until I sell. I really like cleaning up fields, and old farmsteads, terracing fields to stop erosion, building ponds and water holes where needed. Logging and Hinging trees. Establishing food plots. Planting different types of trees. But I very seldom get attached to any one property. I know, pretty crazy!

It's never to early to buy land......that is, if you buy it right!

We bought this piece of property about 12 years ago. We timed it just right. Within 3 years we got an offer for gas rights that tripled our initial investment. When that lease expired, the company decided they weren't going to renew it. So, a different company approached us and offered 4 times what we paid for the land in the first place just for the right to drill. we still own the land. It's been one helluva investment. Wish we had bought a lot more now. :)

My hunting land is where I live, I was lucky enough to purchase it in my late twenties. My only regret is not doing any habitat improvements earlier. I have thought about purchasing just hunting land but raising 4 kids it didn't work out.

We bought this piece of property about 12 years ago. We timed it just right. Within 3 years we got an offer for gas rights that tripled our initial investment. When that lease expired, the company decided they weren't going to renew it. So, a different company approached us and offered 4 times what we paid for the land in the first place just for the right to drill. we still own the land. It's been one helluva investment. Wish we had bought a lot more now. :)

Don't we all!;)

Holy Smokes you lucky son of a gun!!!! That is truley awesome!

What ya get NB????
Hey Jordan,

I just posted this thread this AM: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/finally-a-land-owner-just-posted-my-land.1548/

Mother-in-law gifted my wife and I about 21 acres of the 150 she owns…northwest corner of Massachusetts. Her land abuts mine, so with the 7 that came with my house I've got about 28 now. I still hunt what's left of her 150, but now I can do whatever I want on the new land. Food plots were never an option on her land.

I wish I would've bought in my early 20's instead of mid 30's. We're about 5 weeks from my 4th anniversary on the 1.7 acre swamp lot, and we're at 3.5 yrs on the rest.

Hey Jordan,

I just posted this thread this AM: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/finally-a-land-owner-just-posted-my-land.1548/

Mother-in-law gifted my wife and I about 21 acres of the 150 she owns…northwest corner of Massachusetts. Her land abuts mine, so with the 7 that came with my house I've got about 28 now. I still hunt what's left of her 150, but now I can do whatever I want on the new land. Food plots were never an option on her land.

Natty, why no food plots on her land if we can ask? Also, will the land value be low enough for no gift tax?

Hey Jordan,

I saw that post! Congrats! Any chance you could purchase any additional acreage

Natty, why no food plots on her land if we can ask? Also, will the land value be low enough for no gift tax?

Not sure about the gift tax. I'll need to check into that one. My MIL's 150 acres belonged to her late 2nd husband. He left her the house and the land, on which she raised her 4 kids alone. So, the land has much sentimental value to her and I think she didn't really care to see turned up sod and rocks. I tried to explain that any plots I put in would look nice…but it was always a NO GO.

I saw that post! Congrats! Any chance you could purchase any additional acreage

Jordan, yes…there is a chance that we might be able to buy another piece of the land in the future…a 50 acre plot closest to that State Forest land in the pics.

Jordan, yes…there is a chance that we might be able to buy another piece of the land in the future…a 50 acre plot closest to that State Forest land in the pics.
Cool! Stay persistent. You don't wan to look back and say I wished I woulda;)