How do you predominately use your cam- Video mode or pics

Bearswamper

A good 3 year old buck
I have always opted to set my cams on still pics -mainly due to battery life and quicker to review. On occasion ( by accident) the few times I had the cam in video mode, I really didn't gain more info if the cam parameters were set up at their optimum settings for capture of pics. Am I missing something?

If the camera allows, I set for 1 - video, 1 - still pic. As a general rule I go all video. With 1 picture, to many poor or distorted pictures. With video I am able to get much better view of the deer. It's also more fun watching their behavior.

I run all 13 browning Dark Ops cameras on 1 min video mode using a 64 gig SD card. It only records for 20 seconds per vid at night. The flash on this series of cameras is supposed to be invisible to critters.

I have two cameras on a social scrape that has been very active for at least 10 years. Last year the landowner’s son installed a cell cam on the same scrape. His camera uses a white flash. Now the scrape gets very little use. I have videos showing the deer being spooked by the white flash.

I switched to alkaline AA batteries since the price of lithiums went through the roof.

I use an iPad with a card reader to review the vids.

If the camera allows, I set for 1 - video, 1 - still pic. As a general rule I go all video. With 1 picture, to many poor or distorted pictures. With video I am able to get much better view of the deer. It's also more fun watching their behavior.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I run nearly everything in video mode. I do all of my cameras with sound and video because I think it is much more helpful from a hunting perspective, but is also just generally more fun. I feel like you learn a lot more about bucks and how they interact with one another by running in video with audio. In some cases you can even see which ones are a little bit more dominant or assertive, which could be helpful for deciding a buck to go after.

I made this video a few weeks ago. Watch as the third buck moves into frame. You can see before he even gets there how the first buck's body language changed. This is a new farm so all of these deer are new to me, but originally I had been watching the first buck with split brow tines this summer thinking he would be one of the older and more dominant bucks.

I made this video a few weeks ago. Watch as the third buck moves into frame. You can see before he even gets there how the first buck's body language changed. This is a new farm so all of these deer are new to me, but originally I had been watching the first buck with split brow tines this summer thinking he would be one of the older and more dominant bucks.

What’s your opinion on that brand of camera ?

We've been running a Gardepro on video getting hundreds of clips of deer chomping on apples. The kids find it hilarious.

A big fan. There is a thread on here all about them titled $70 cam.
Thanks, just ordered a couple to add to my collection.

One pic and a 10 second video with a 1 minute delay before the next pic/video is what works best for me. Takes longer looking at videos but the horn detail you get from videos makes it worthwhile to me. It's also easy to see when the rut starts picking up with the chase scenes.

My cameras have almost all been moved to scrapes with one being on a food source. The cameras have all been set to video. I don’t worry about video the majority of the year but during the season it is valuable to get as much info as you can and video fills that niche.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All video except for ones that don't do video. The new buck that showed up in the beginning here may have been missed if just pictures...but regardless I just love watching videos.

All video except for ones that don't do video. The new buck that showed up in the beginning here may have been missed if just pictures...but regardless I just love watching videos.
I'm way behind the times. I'm still running plain moultrie cams. No cell plans, no high resolution, no video. I did upgrade to invisible infrared or black flash or something like that. Once september rolls around, I pull all my cams out of the woods and just run them around my cabin. I still see about half of my deer within 100 yards of the cabin anyway. I did keep one cam out in the woods this fall and it'll stay there until hunting is over. I was getting a real dance off happening in the new dry pond basin. It'll be a fun card review after 10 weeks on the only water within a quarter mile of there.

I suspect i've got sparring doe groups back there. Lots of pics of deer sprinting in circles and then right back to feeding 1-2 minutes later.

I'm way behind the times. I'm still running plain moultrie cams. No cell plans, no high resolution, no video. I did upgrade to invisible infrared or black flash or something like that. Once september rolls around, I pull all my cams out of the woods and just run them around my cabin. I still see about half of my deer within 100 yards of the cabin anyway. I did keep one cam out in the woods this fall and it'll stay there until hunting is over. I was getting a real dance off happening in the new dry pond basin. It'll be a fun card review after 10 weeks on the only water within a quarter mile of there.

I suspect i've got sparring doe groups back there. Lots of pics of deer sprinting in circles and then right back to feeding 1-2 minutes later.

Don't be so hard on yourself. At least you're not still using 35mm cams.

I have all mine set for a pic and a video. Depending how many there are I always watch the videos because of below. In the pic I only saw the doe. It wasn't until the movement behind her caught my eye.

I have most of mine set for video. Sometimes the locations make video a bad idea - one particular recent example is a cell cam that a damn doe keeps bedding 10 yards in front of at night. Continuous videos at night keeping the IR lights on and sucking juice is no bueno for cell cam battery life!

I have most of mine set for video. Sometimes the locations make video a bad idea - one particular recent example is a cell cam that a damn doe keeps bedding 10 yards in front of at night. Continuous videos at night keeping the IR lights on and sucking juice is no bueno for cell cam battery life!
I have one that must be near a hickory tree. Squirrels trigger it during the day. Mice trident it at night. Time to reposition.

I have several Cuddelink cameras for photos but run 3 Camojojo Trace and 1 Ridgetec Lookout on video over scrapes.