Horizontal rub

Nova

5 year old buck +
I have watched videos and done some reading on this and have wanted to try it for several year. Yesterday I made one at the farm. Will be fun to watch how they use it. I used a fresh cut cedar for the rub post. The scent is supposed to help get them started.horizontal rub.jpg

Following this-I might have to try it myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never MADE one, but I can tell you from seeing 2 naturally-occurring horizontal rubs, that they get attention and are used regularly / heavily. The natural ones were the result of young maples being bent over from other trees being dropped on them. They created maple trunks of about 2 1/2" dia. and roughly 3 ft. off the ground. The ground was all torn up around those horiz. rubs - I guess from pushing & grinding against those trees. Scrapes right near them.

I should say that the dropped trees have rotted away, and the horiz. maples are still alive there and get rubbed every year yet.

Last edited:
I am trying this too for the first time. Buddy of mine aid he had a natural one and they were already working it.

Chuck

I made one last season close to a rub line and the buck used it immediately, and is still using it.

Ive tried but never had it work. Ive never used a "rubbed" post before... thats got to help! Keep us posted

Did you try putting preorbital gland lure on the post, that will kick start the use of the post, like the licking limb on a mock scrape?

I have watched videos and done some reading on this and have wanted to try it for several year. Yesterday I made one at the farm. Will be fun to watch how they use it. I used a fresh cut cedar for the rub post. The scent is supposed to help get them started.View attachment 20476
Did you choose a particular tree species for that? I would assume some species would work better than others.

Did you choose a particular tree species for that? I would assume some species would work better than others.

I used a cedar for the scent attraction. From what I have read/heard scotch pine is supposed to be the best, but we don't have any at the farm.

Reactions: Tap
I used a cedar for the scent attraction. From what I have read/heard scotch pine is supposed to be the best, but we don't have any at the farm.

I think any of the conifer species would be a good choice. Keep us informed on how it works.
Are you gonna have a camera on it?

I think any of the conifer species would be a good choice. Keep us informed on how it works.
Are you gonna have a camera on it?
Yep, I put a cam on it when I put it up, but bringing a different cam up with video mode this weekend. I'll post pics after this weekend.

Yep, I put a cam on it when I put it up, but bringing a different cam up with video mode this weekend. I'll post pics after this weekend.

Like the idiot I am I did NOT put a card in the cam I had on the horizontal rub. Have to wait another week for any reports...

Like the idiot I am I did NOT put a card in the cam I had on the horizontal rub. Have to wait another week for any reports...
Starting to find rubs and scrapes on my place ...SW Pa.
All bucks are shed of velvet.
Shouldn't be long before you find out if they will use your rub.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My coworker showed me a bunch of pics from his farm in Trempealeau Co. yesterday. All hard horn, no velvet on any of his deer either.

That is awesome! I do not have access to cedar, but that's exactly what I'd use too. I need to make one myself

That is awesome! I do not have access to cedar, but that's exactly what I'd use too. I need to make one myself
I think any conifer would work. White pine should be excellent but it may not have the rot resistance of cedar, but these may need to be swapped on a yearly (or so) basis.
There is something about the smell of conifer sap that deer seem to really be attracted to.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Going to use white pine for mine. I have the posts putin but waiting until a little closer to Oct 1. The video I saw the guys waits until around that date. I have 2 that I am doing and will have cameras on both. One near a plot and the other near a bedding area.

I may have to try this too, seems like a really cool idea. Curious to see how it works out.

Any pics from this yet?

So I put one in this afternoon. The walnut on the south end was rubbed so hard last year it top killed it but its coming back. It also had a big scrape under it. Used a scotch pine branch. Any other tips?20181006_144225.jpg20181006_144437.jpg