Hoping to get input on potential property

Bszweda

5 year old buck +
Hey guys,

I was hoping to get your input on a potential property I am considering at least walking (55ish acres about 12 tillable when it doesn't flood). I'd like to hear your guys thoughts on the property layout, and if you see anything that would be a red flag?

Here are my general thoughts so far

Pros
Access/entrance seems pretty good due to river
Hunt-ability seems pretty good due to river access and wind directions
Looks to have decent pinch points (least from aerial)
Potential duck hunting on the pond

Negatives

On the river so I am assuming I'd have to deal with annual flooding
The river/creek traffic might be a pain to deal with.
Deer can only come from the North (this is what worries me the most) can't tell if its a positive or negative.
Low value / no value from tillable
A very small parcel .4 acres is owned by someone else on the creek. ( I am assuming they are duck hunting, which would be a deal breaker for me most likely)

Unknowns
Neighbors

land2.PNGland1.PNG

So would you plan on using the river for access normally? Is it much of a pain? Otherwise, do you have access from the left? If so, appears you'd have to cross the creek every time? It definitely looks intriguing. Any history of it being good? Are you able to plot on the 12 tillable acres? If so, looks like some huge woods out there to maybe draw some deer.

Is it all a flood plain, or any high ground? If all a flood plain, I'd probably shy away from it from a deer hunting perspective.

I'm with Mortenson, does it all flood? Is the price low? Are you able to talk with any of the neighbors about the waterfowling and deer hunting? Is it close to home for you? How hard would it be to sell if it doesn't end up being what you expected? Taxes?
It's an interesting property good & bad....

Thanks guys ... The property has an easement from the north I can access by land. It does look like its pretty much all flood plain. I think right now the price is definitely way off for recreational land (3K an acre). This land isn't close to me, but my wife and myself like the area and want to retire in the area. Plan is to by a home site on a high bluff, and then I look for some land I can play on. (its unfortunate my wife doesn't like northern Missouri). Do you think a buyers agent would be able to tell me the true value of the property?
1583017216617.png

Does seem high for potential flood ground. Also, that creek takes up a big chunk of real estate. I assume those are acres you'd be paying for. Also curious, why do you say deer can only come from the North? There's a bridge w/ what appears to be a launch on that creek. If it's a popular canoe/float spot, privacy may be an issue. Any other options on your list to look at?

I would hit a local diner in the area and look for some farmers and ask them what rough ground is worth in the area, north of $150K seems like a lot for that area in a flood plain. I love the water features but don't know if you would be able to keep fruit trees and certain shrubs alive with flooding...for me messing with trees/shrubs is half the fun of a property.

Id buy it and turn it into a duck hunting dream....

3000/ac for land in a flood plain/that has no road frontage does seem high?

I'd start by doing a LOT of research - by myself or through an agent. Who are adjacent landowners ... go visit with them; find out what they can tell you about the history of the property (how many owners in the prior 20 yrs, how did they use the land, what is the flooding history, do they - the neighbors -hunt - if so, how successful have they been (that question is iffy). If, after doing your homework the property stills creates some excitement for you but your not quite ready to commit, you might explore a lease with an option to buy. While only one year's data, a one-year lease will reveal what this forecasted wet spring does with regard to flooding, and you will have a chance to learn about any deer usage of the property.
Here's another map that shows the property in relation to surrounding land in deep southern Indiana.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...93c3addb5c8f62!8m2!3d37.9832096!4d-86.5386067
Other than divers that may ride that relatively thin stretch of the Ohio the lack of any larger impoundments in southern IN - relatively close to you - makes me wonder if you would have many duck-shooting opportunities on anything but flight days late in the winter.

Last edited:
https://perryin.wthgis.com/

You can find a lot about property in this county if you can figure out how to run the system at the end of the link above.

For my experience, it's a weird situation, this county. There are always a lot of real estate transactions that have no sale prices; divorces, inter-generational transfers - those kinds of things. I was hoping to find some comparable's for you, but there are a bunch of zeros. I took it back a notch and searched all county land sales / transactions in 2019. I'm leaning on "the system" to be correct. Where acreage was 25 or more, there were 185 deals. Only 35 had a recorded sale price. I'd give you the average, but an average is so deceiving. That's all I know without getting deeper than I can go in 15-minutes. So, here's my summary -

The median sale price per acre was $2,922 and the median sale acreage was 40. What I don't know was if the data I got was simply land or if some of it had buildings on it. Location makes a difference and, other than to say it was in this county, I don't know where. Well, its discover-able if you work the system at the link provided above.

Price per acre? There were 6 sales of less than $1,000. There were none between $1,000 and $2,000. Between $2,000 and $3,000 there were 14;
5 between $3k and $4k
4 between $4K and $5k
3 between $5k and $6k
3 Over $6k

Is this property being sold by current owner that only owns this property or is it being sold by neighboring land owner? How long has it been on the market?

Doubt a buyers agent will help as no realtor wants to talk down property values.

My observation is that this is a very unique property probably not well suited for reliable deer hunting. The creek & river while creating travel routes & pinch points on your side will also cause the deer to also move around and avoid your property. Owning the 50 plus acres to the north would be a significant benefit to this property.

The positive of the creek & river is that they will keep trespassers away and could create some good bedding on your side. The issue becomes that most likely all deer using this area would come from the north.

Biggest issues I see is that pressure on the north & south sides could really limit your deer hunting. I assume there is no electric or buildable spot. With it being all flood plain how do you resell it if it does not meet your hunting needs?

More risk than upside in my mind. If you want to take a flyer on it, and still be in a position to resell without losing money, offer $1100/ac with a negotiating cap up to $1400/ac.

Agree, if the deer can really only come from the North reliably, then if that North farm is a deer hunting farm with hunters in all those fingers, you're cut off. I'm assuming the creek must have a high bank or something of that nature if it's preventing deer from coming straight outta that massive forest.

Also, keep in mind how easy or hard will the access be. You mentioned retirement. Things only get harder as we age. My dad split buying 12 acres of adjoining land with me a couple years ago. It's down a steep hill and across the creek. He's set foot on it exactly zero times. Not that he couldn't get to it, but he hasn't really had the will to yet, lol.

https://perryin.wthgis.com/

You can find a lot about property in this county if you can figure out how to run the system at the end of the link above.

For my experience, it's a weird situation, this county. There are always a lot of real estate transactions that have no sale prices; divorces, inter-generational transfers - those kinds of things. I was hoping to find some comparable's for you, but there are a bunch of zeros. I took it back a notch and searched all county land sales / transactions in 2019. I'm leaning on "the system" to be correct. Where acreage was 25 or more, there were 185 deals. Only 35 had a recorded sale price. I'd give you the average, but an average is so deceiving. That's all I know without getting deeper than I can go in 15-minutes. So, here's my summary -

The median sale price per acre was $2,922 and the median sale acreage was 40. What I don't know was if the data I got was simply land or if some of it had buildings on it. Location makes a difference and, other than to say it was in this county, I don't know where. Well, its discover-able if you work the system at the link provided above.

Price per acre? There were 6 sales of less than $1,000. There were none between $1,000 and $2,000. Between $2,000 and $3,000 there were 14;
5 between $3k and $4k
4 between $4K and $5k
3 between $5k and $6k
3 Over $6k

FarmerDan thanks so much for sending me this url its awesome! (I started going down the path of the Purdue land survey, but this is way more accurate!) Its telling me the property was transferred in 3/27/89 so they've owned the property for quite some time. The taxes are fairly high on this property also. The property has been listed for 6 months. The fact that its in a floodway/flood plain probably eliminates a lot of candidates who can only pay cash. I might walk it, and talk to neighbors. Thanks again everyone all this info has been extremely helpful

1583088411702.png
1583088648884.png

Let me add a little clarity to your property lines regarding the land you are interested in and help you locate owners of properties adjacent to that land. https://perryin.wthgis.com/

There are 2 property owners (between Rt66 and the river) south of the land you outlined and one parcel (22.75 acres that extends from the river to RT66 as a boundary on the west ... just a little access sliver from Rt66 to the east for 20% of the property) is owned by Mike / Ella Scott in Dale IN). They bought it in 2002 from Art / Judy Meunier from Tell City IN. The Muenier's own the 131.62 acres south of this property (runs from the river to Rt 66.). Incidentally, the 22.75 Scott property is in the southern most area of the blue outline you provided on the Google map above. A second parcel abuts to the south the land you have asked about in your post; this 7.5 acre parcel (is sandwiched between the Scott land and your land of interest) is owned by Curt / Mary Cardinal of Tell City In. The east boundary of the Cardinal land begins at about 1/6 or 1/7 of the distance to the river and extends west to Rt 66 (might be a "duck hole" or a way to get access to the Ohio river and camping). Both the Scott and Cardinal properties have property lines granting control of substantial portions of Poison Creek including areas you may think are included in the land you are investigating. AA Thomas Farms in Indianapolis owns approximately 200 acres (from the river to RT66) immediately north of the land under consideration. The land you are considering is owned by the William / Kathy Jarett Trust - from Cicero IN (they bought it from Earl Eaton in 1989) and consists of 3 parcels (40 acres, 21 acres and 3.5 acres). Since the 3.5 acres is a small parcel extending into the large AA Thomas Farms holding on your north boundary, I wouldn't be surprised if that piece has been sold. It's west boundary includes a portion of Poison Creek (if there are any ducks using Poison creek, it appears you could potentially have shooters on 3 parts of the creek with little water for you to hunt. Hope this additional info allows you to contact folks who might be able to provide additional information, or allow you to determine if you have hunters on two sides (N & S) of the land. Good luck.

Last edited:
Let me add a little clarity to your property lines regarding the land you are interested in and help you locate owners of properties adjacent to that land. https://perryin.wthgis.com/

There are 2 property owners (between Rt66 and the river) south of the land you outlined and one parcel (22.75 acres that extends from the river to RT66 as a boundary on the west ... just a little access sliver from Rt66 to the east for 20% of the property) is owned by Mike / Ella Scott in Dale IN). They bought it in 2002 from Art / Judy Meunier from Tell City IN. The Muenier's own the 131.62 acres south of this property (runs from the river to Rt 66.). Incidentally, the 22.75 Scott property is in the southern most area of the blue outline you provided on the Google map above. A second parcel abuts to the south the land you have asked about in your post; this 7.5 acre parcel (is sandwiched between the Scott land and your land of interest) is owned by Curt / Mary Cardinal of Tell City In. The east boundary of the Cardinal land begins at about 1/6 or 1/7 of the distance to the river and extends west to Rt 66 (might be a "duck hole" or a way to get access to the Ohio river and camping). Both the Scott and Cardinal properties have property lines granting control of substantial portions of Poison Creek including areas you may think are included in the land you are investigating. AA Thomas Farms in Indianapolis owns approximately 200 acres (from the river to RT66) immediately north of the land under consideration. The land you are considering is owned by the William / Kathy Jarett Trust - from Cicero IN (they bought it from Earl Eaton in 1989) and consists of 3 parcels (40 acres, 21 acres and 3.5 acres). Since the 3.5 acres is a small parcel extending into the large AA Thomas Farms holding on your north boundary, I wouldn't be surprised if that piece has been sold. It's west boundary includes a portion of Poison Creek (if there are any ducks using Poison creek, it appears you could potentially have shooters on 3 parts of the creek with little water for you to hunt. Hope this additional info allows you to contact folks who might be able to provide additional information, or allow you to determine if you have hunters on two sides (N & S) of the land. Good luck.

That's awesome! The only thing I would add is, as presented at https://perryin.wthgis.com/, the property lines are not legal descriptions, but only intended as a fair representation of the property for tax calculation. Some counties are better than others at meshing the tax parcel with actual deeded property boundary descriptions.

If you are wanting to hunt ducks and geese....or become a river rat....go for it. If you want it for deer hunting......walk away.

Being that close to the river it will flood and sometimes it will flood A LOT! The soil will be very sandy and ground that floods a lot with silting struggles to have much of an understory. The types of trees that will grow there will mostly be low value as well. Ash, soft maples, willow, sycamore, boxelder, cottonwood, buckeye, hackberry.....maybe some walnut....or some pin oaks. But it is certainly going to have a high water table and anything is going to have to love the water. I doubt you get much deer traffic from the North...most of the deer are going to be on the other side of the highway.

Also consider that in IN if that larger pond is part of a river/creek/stream (and it looks like it is) if it is deemed "navigable" it is open to the public to be on. They can't be on your land, but can be on the water as long as it is in it's "main channel".....so you may want to look into that as well.