Hinge cut oops

I'd say get a telehandler or some sort of bigger loader, a log chain, and pluck that little bugger right off of there.

10 4 to that. Good time to get a bunch of other jobs done around the place too. The guy who did that is probably standing in that bucket high pruning the surrounding trees right now though.

How do you get the some beach down without further f***ing everything up?

bill
Start carefully trimming the top the tree branch by branch to lighten it. Eventually, the tractor will be heavier.

The guy screwed up his hinge. Notice how the wedge closed, most likely well before the tree was totally on the ground. It closed and the momentum of the tree weight contributed to the barber chair. Narrow wedges close too soon and basically become useless. Hinges are to remain connected and in-tact during the entire fell until the tree hits the ground. It's what helps keep the tree under control all the way to the ground. Wedge cuts need to be more open.

I have been doing a lot more girdling this year than hinge cutting. I still knock a few trees over but nothing like when I started.
That wasn't hinge cutting. The guy screwed up his felling wedge.

Start carefully trimming the top the tree branch by branch to lighten it. Eventually, the tractor will be heavier.

The guy screwed up his hinge. Notice how the wedge closed, most likely well before the tree was totally on the ground. It closed and the momentum of the tree weight contributed to the barber chair. Narrow wedges close too soon and basically become useless. Hinges are to remain connected and in-tact during the entire fell until the tree hits the ground. It's what helps keep the tree under control all the way to the ground. Wedge cuts need to be more open.

excellent analysis of mechanics and barber chair

"To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson is a must read for anyone operating a chainsaw in habitat work

Jim Brauker also covers this very well in "extreme deer habitat" page 125

bill

Reactions: Tap
excellent analysis of mechanics and barber chair

"To Fell a Tree" by Jeff Jepson is a must read for anyone operating a chainsaw in habitat work

Jim Brauker also covers this very well in "extreme deer habitat" page 125

bill
Jepson's book is exactly where I learned about making a more open wedge. And when you think about it, it makes perfect sense. The hinge wood needs to stay connected thru out the entire fall, but if the wedge closes, then the hinge wood must break. But until that hinge actually breaks, there is other stresses that transfer up the tree...hence the barber chair.
Man, that's a great book. Everyone on this site that owns a chainsaw (or borrows one or knows a buddy with one) needs to own that book.

If he had 8 or 9 tons of wheel weights on that tractor, he may have been okay:emoji_thinking: