Helping College Kids find Public Hunting land-- central Wi

huthut

5 year old buck +
I have some College of Natural Resources kids working for me at times and I am giving them a list of some public lands to explore this spring in Central Wi (hopefully close to Stevens Point). They will be bow hunting and maybe some small game. I have given up some of my knowledge of the Mead and Dewey Areas. In additional some information on the Buena Vista Prairie Chicken Land. I may even take them to some of these new areas and walk it with them to mentor them on scouting public ground.

A couple areas I am thinking about walking with them are the Richard A Hemp Fisheries Area and the Emmons Creek Fishery Area. Any thoughts on other areas to explore for these young men would be appreciated. Mentoring and helping young people explore their hunting interests is always rewarding.

How far are you willing to travel?

I think on the weekends they may travel a bit further when they have more time, but I remember when I was in school over at the College of natural Resources there were days when I could finish classes at 1:00 and be in a tree by 2:15. So the closer the better. I was trying find something for them in Portage Cty but maybe even an adjacent county would be worth looking at.

If you get a chance on one of the weekends, I would recommend they take a trip down to the Necedah NWR(43,700 acres)/Meadow Valley SWA(58,000 acres) in Juneau Co. If they have the gear, there are numerous free primitive camping areas in Meadow Valley, right off of Hwy 173 and further off the beaten path on some of the interior roads throughout the refuge area. It is about 70 miles from Point. Hwy 66 SW to the Rapids and then 73 to 173, about an hour and 15 minutes.

Last edited:
They have a list of public lands -- running a computer is not the problem- just helping them sort through the options. Topo and forest cover maps are good to look at to narrow down areas but you still need to put boots on the ground to even see if there are any deer in the area. MFL is a whole other option that they are working on. If you have an open mfl to recommend that would be great too

???????? This is not about big bucks this is about general deer hunting ground

If you get a chance on one of the weekends, I would recommend they take a trip down to the Necedah NWR(43,700 acres)/Meadow Valley SWA(58,000 acres) in Juneau Co. If they have the gear, there are numerous free primitive camping areas in Meadow Valley, right off of Hwy 173 and further off the beaten path on some of the interior roads throughout the refuge area. It is about 70 miles for Point. Hwy 66 SW to the Rapids and then 73 to 173, about an hour and 15 minutes.
Thanks - Those may be some good weekend options. I know Wood County has a lot of County Forest also. In big pieces like you have outlined at least they would have an option to hike and get away from some of the people who hunt closer to roads.

Great, have them find the public 40 in the township of junction city with a creek that flows to the river. Great deer hunting with big bucks as a bonus. Kind of like a gis treasure hunt?
If you have nothing productive please leave this thread alone. You negativity has likely already likely ruined it -- I guess helping college kids find land to hunt is a bad thing in your world?

???????? This is not about big bucks this is about general deer hunting ground

That is like saying lets show them where the bars are, but not the girls .... :(

Thanks - Those may be some good weekend options. I know Wood County has a lot of County Forest also. In big pieces like you have outlined at least they would have an option to hike and get away from some of the people who hunt closer to roads.
Outside of opening weekend, you will find very little actual hunting pressure during the small game seasons and the archery seasons. Even if there are other hunters around, they are few and far between and when you have close to 100,000+ acres, you can always find an area without a large amount of pressure. After the waterfowl seasons open, then it becomes a different story, at least in the more productive waterfowling areas.

If you have nothing productive please leave this thread alone. You negativity has likely already likely ruined it -- I guess helping college kids find land to hunt is a bad thing in your world?
Hahaha, hit some public land in waupaca county and let me know how it goes hahaha