Help with oak varities...

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Can anyone help with these varieties, I know some may be the same but I'm not sure of the strains of white and reds these are.

Tree #1)....

P1000543_zpsozw441zb.jpg

P1000544_zpsucsxemha.jpg

P1000545_zps3qkq4l78.jpg

P1000546_zps4cgvbe4d.jpg

Tree #2)......

P1000552_zps3bxkb7fr.jpg

P1000554_zpslzlz8vxx.jpg

P1000556_zpsfwiufndu.jpg

Tree #3).....

P1000561_zpsund3deir.jpg

P1000563_zpsgiylqahu.jpg

Tree #4).....

P1000571_zpsie8h71uh.jpg

P1000570_zpsttveko48.jpg

Randoms...

P1000560_zpsxbfjp7xk.jpg

P1000565_zpsb0ngnexf.jpg

P1000566_zpszr7hgzqm.jpg

P1000557_zpsuvyurrnm.jpg

I'll go with most are either northern red oak or plain white oak. Maybe take a guess a first random pic as a black oak
Tree #1 - Northern red oak
Tree #2 - White oak (based more on the bark since you have dead leaves that are reds and green leaves that are whites as pictures)

None of the acorns (or trees) are burr oak (no fringes on the caps) and the big deep cut lobes don't seem present in the leaves either

Taking a flyer that the first random pic is a black oak (red oak family)

Other random pics are young trees which leaves are really variable when young, but most are probably northern reds.

From all the reading I've done on oaks over the years, oaks can hybridize on a local basis. I believe it happens more with the reds than the white oaks. So to see variation in leaf shape, acorn size, bark appearance, etc. is not uncommon.

The first random pic - to me - looks like a pin oak given the wide gaps between the lobes and very pointed ends. A good rule of thumb is - rounded lobe ends on leaves ... white oak family. Pointed lobe ends on leaves ....red oak family. Further points of identification then help you reach a positive ID of the tree after the RED / WHITE divide. The bark pic of tree # 2 looks like a regular white oak.

Last edited:
1&3 are REDs. Those leaves that look more rounded, but still have that point, are most likely lower on the tree and in more shade.

#2 is a little bit tougher, but I'm going to say a white. Looks like those leaves have been kinda chewed, but I still see no points on the leaves. Also, as stated by Bowsnbucks, the bark looks like White.

#4 is definately a white oak.

Randoms,

#1 is a pin. As Bowsnbucks said. Very long slender lobes.

All the rest are reds. You can see the little pointe at the very apex of each lobe. Although the leaf shape will change, they will all have these points. I've got a few of what I think are SWO growing, and they have leaves looking kind of like a chinkapin oak (regular, not dwarf), but they DON'T have those points

Oaks are so flipping confusing!

Oaks are so flipping confusing!
It gets better. The main thing is getting it down to red and white. The majority of reds we see, or at least I see, will be Northern reds, and a few pins. Whites, the big three are Bur, White, and SWO. A lot of the time what you might get is a hybrid between the three if multiple types are in the area.

Yeah the whites and reds seem to be easy nuff to tell apart just the strains of whatever they actually are evade me, bring on the apples! LOL!

Yeah on dinkoid trees its more of a crap shoot. Somewhat easier if you can get to look at leaves and trees with mature bark and some acorns. If all you have are dinkoids, might have to look around the neighborhood for a bigger tree down the road that has similar leaves but gives other clues. You can also get some decent literature that talks about the bud patterns and checking the inner bark and whatnot. Still maybe doesn't help what bucket to put in for the potential hybrids as much. Again I think most of your red oaks are northern reds which yes are part of the red oak family. Random pic #1 being the exception.