Help with livestakes

armadillophil

5 year old buck +
I need to do some eroision control on river bank at my new property. I am in Southern Oklahoma so we are a few weeks into spring green up. I have a spot that was farmed along river that has erosion issue since they farmed right to edge on bank. Is there anyway to cut willows and plant as livestakes now since they are not dormant? Thanks

Yes and they are one of the easiest live stakes to get to grow. No rooting hormone needed. Cut stakes flat on the top and at an angle closest to the trunk. The angled end goes in the ground. This keeps you from planting upside down.

do a search on stream bank erosion and willow. I’ve seen guys bury bunches of willow limbs horizontally for stream erosion.

Great article Bill. That is exactly my plan but since I am past dormant season can I still try to use livestake method. Remove all branches and leaves and drive into bank?

I have seen where they stake some in and lay in the rest in a flat lay behind the stakes close to the water line. Specifically for stream bank erosion. From what I've seen done they pull down some soil, then terrace up working back layer by layer. It can be hard to hold back mother nature on those outside corners. Takes a lot of material and time. I watched a video where they just make long bundles and staked them in at the water line too and that was about it.

Attachments

• willow-spiling-photo-5.jpg
    willow-spiling-photo-5.jpg
    701.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1036 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1036 (1).jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 15
  • wil2.jpg
    wil2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 14
I had a giant elm fall in about a month ago and can already see it has made a difference in erosion. Water came up last week and it caught tons of debri making which slowed the water velocity against bank. Im going to keep adding to that and go crazy with willow plantings.

Great article Bill. That is exactly my plan but since I am past dormant season can I still try to use livestake method. Remove all branches and leaves and drive into bank?

that might be pushing it. I have planted them with a small amount of bud break but never tried with full blown leaves. The problem becomes what would have been a leaf sense it’s below ground and forms a root. I’m not sure that will happen after the fact. But I’m no expert on that!