All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with ladder stand purchase

I always wondered if the structural design would go out the window if I did that.

I always wondered if the structural design would go out the window if I did that.
I have seen guys do it, they just add an additional brace off the tree and extra ratchet straps. Never had an issue that I am aware of. That said, I don't think I would add more than 1 extra section.

Last edited:
I agree. A second brace would be a good idea. I would really like a full platform for this spot as well so I will still be looking for one new model. Good idea though.

Keep in mind the original goal was a taller ladder stand. Some of these stands are borderline false advertised as 20 feet and thats just the height to the railing up top. .

Bluecollar...I'm with you. I am in the market for 3 or 4 quality ladder stands this spring. I like to get up high. I've have been doing a ton of research and I think I have narrowed it down to these 2 stands. They are both over 19' to the platform and have flip up seats. The The Millennium 110 has double rails which makes it nice and stiff. But it lacks arm rests which I like. The Platinum has armrests and a third vertical center bar on the ladder for stiffness, and also an adjustable seat for angled trees and comfort.

http://millenniumstands.com/products/ladders/l110-21ft-single-ladder/

http://www.huntriversedge.com/platinum

River's Edge also makes a stand called the Upper Cut which is less expensive and tall, but I think not enough for your needs. ..only 17' to the platform.

Both the Platinum and 110 are a bit pricey, but like anything else, you get what you pay for. I have a Millennium Monster 150 lock on stand that was expensive, but undoubtedly the most comfortable stand I have ever owned.

We bought a couple of ladder stands this spring with the third, center vertical bar. IMHO, it doesn't do much. You still have the small amount of flex at the sectional joints. If the center rail was staggered to offset the joint, it would add some additional rigidness.

We bought a couple of ladder stands this spring with the third, center vertical bar. IMHO, it doesn't do much. You still have the small amount of flex at the sectional joints. If the center rail was staggered to offset the joint, it would add some additional rigidness.

That's good info. Thanks.

Good info. Both very nice. You have outkicked my coverage pricewise though. I appreciate all the input. Some of these I had not found.

I've built several wood ladder stands using 20' 2x4's. Some of them are 20' to the platform + the seat, others are 20' to the hand rail. I prefer the taller design of the two.

Last time I built one, the materials cost $90 per stand. They are MUCH more stable, quiet (because they are made of wood not metal), and stable than any metal ladder I've bought and used.

The only downfall is they are a PITA to put up. Once they are up, they are the bees knees :)

I could share some pictures.... They are SIMPLE to build.

-John

Nwm that stand looks ok but what the $$$$. Anything I have ever seen in the menards treestand section was pretty cheap/junk.
they sell this same stand at cabelas for over 220. thought I've seen it somewhere. bought two from menards two years ago. they are pretty loud on cold mornings bUT so was my 300 dollar big game stand. I feel hang on stands would be best for sound on a cold morning. building a wooden one would be a cool idea, for the cost, and comfort it might be worth trying.

I have 1 Big game legacy very heavy duty great stand but noisy ladder. I cured by taping joints and then drilling additional hole in the added rail, and bolting. (they just use pins in one of the rails) . I have 6 ( X-Big Game Odyssey's) Now sold by Muddy. You want the ones with Oblong tubes, very sturdy. This is Stand that is quiet out of box. About 17'6 to platform and close to 20 at seat. http://www.gomuddy.com/product/the-odyssey/.

I bought 2 more at Menards 129.00 on sale late in year same one mentioned above by nwmn https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo.../the-duke-20-ladder-stand/p-1444447723470.htm . Has new clamping system. Still in box have not tried yet.

They are all same company building just different names.

Last edited:
I bougth two dozen hawk ladderstandsthisyear and i'm an outfitter so i've hade a lot of people sit them.
theyre easy to assemble, even easier to put up. rock solid base. they come in two models 19' and 21'

x-stands are also supposedt ob e nice

I bougth two dozen hawk ladderstandsthisyear and i'm an outfitter so i've hade a lot of people sit them.
theyre easy to assemble, even easier to put up. rock solid base. they come in two models 19' and 21'

x-stands are also supposedt ob e nice

Hey Lucky.... Good to see you around here..

I've never seen a Hawk before, looks like you are talking about these:
http://hawkhunting.myshopify.com/collections/ladderstands

Look pretty nice if the checkbook can handle them (you get what you pay for right?).

Looks like you guys had a good season. Feel free to share some in the successful hunts section. None of us would mind seeing some antler pics this time of year!

-John