Help with equipment selection

yes short trailers are not easy to back up, but a 40 gallon sprayer, even when full, can be backed up by hand if needed, have done it countless time
I also had many plots that were on logging roads, just barely 9 ft wide(my boom folded)
but towing a sprayer behind a ATV, can save on fuel , get in smaller places than a BIG tractor, if you need to get into tight spots?
, plus an atv has shocks> a smoother ride
pro's and con's to all things
atv's have you closer to mist / drift off sprayers
but I have gotten really good use of mine
and I am a part time farmer so, I play with big one's too< LOl

yes short trailers are not easy to back up, but a 40 gallon sprayer, even when full, can be backed up by hand if needed, have done it countless time
I also had many plots that were on logging roads, just barely 9 ft wide(my boom folded)
but towing a sprayer behind a ATV, can save on fuel , get in smaller places than a BIG tractor, if you need to get into tight spots?
, plus an atv has shocks> a smoother ride
pro's and con's to all things
atv's have you closer to mist / drift off sprayers
but I have gotten really good use of mine
and I am a part time farmer so, I play with big one's too< LOl

Saving fuel by spraying on 4-5 acres of food plots with a tow behind vs mounted sprayer?

Why is that even a part of the conversation ... he is spending more on ATV repair bill for each repair than all the gly spray and fuel he will use in a season.

For his entire season of spraying you are probably talking about 2 gal of gas and (1) 2.5 gal jug of gly ... = $55 ...

Saving fuel by spraying on 4-5 acres of food plots with a tow behind vs mounted sprayer?

Why is that even a part of the conversation ... he is spending more on ATV repair bill for each repair than all the gly spray and fuel he will use in a season.

For his entire season of spraying you are probably talking about 2 gal of gas and (1) 2.5 gal jug of gly ... = $55 ...
well lets see been using my atv to spray 17 acres of plots for 10+ years and had ZERO repair bills

running an atv over a larger tractor, that ALL things cost more for, and I OWN and have owned several tractors
tires cost more, and other parts
NO shocks on a tractor?
atv smaller more nimble
its NOT a BIG deal, but its also, not a BAD thing to use an atv for
and all the more so if he is doing SMALL food plots, why run a big tractor all over(they weight a LOT more than an atv too, and have more ground force being put down compaction??)
this isn';t about a debate over what is the BEST tool for the job, I just stated a tow behind sprayer behind an atv DOESN"T wear and tear as much as carrying 20+ gallons on an atv, the weight sin;t ON the atv when towing a sprayer!

if HIS atv is having a LOT of issue's I say its due to all the \dragging a disc or like implement, that is SUPER hard on an atv, a tractor wins there 110 %
carrying again all the weight of a sprayer on an atv, is also hard on an atv

but that doesn;t mean using an atv to spray is BAD, a tow behind ATV sprayer works just fine for most food plots of reasonable size!

well lets see been using my atv to spray 17 acres of plots for 10+ years and had ZERO repair bills

running an atv over a larger tractor, that ALL things cost more for, and I OWN and have owned several tractors
tires cost more, and other parts
NO shocks on a tractor?
atv smaller more nimble
its NOT a BIG deal, but its also, not a BAD thing to use an atv for
and all the more so if he is doing SMALL food plots, why run a big tractor all over(they weight a LOT more than an atv too, and have more ground force being put down compaction??)
this isn';t about a debate over what is the BEST tool for the job, I just stated a tow behind sprayer behind an atv DOESN"T wear and tear as much as carrying 20+ gallons on an atv, the weight sin;t ON the atv when towing a sprayer!

if HIS atv is having a LOT of issue's I say its due to all the \dragging a disc or like implement, that is SUPER hard on an atv, a tractor wins there 110 %
carrying again all the weight of a sprayer on an atv, is also hard on an atv

but that doesn;t mean using an atv to spray is BAD, a tow behind ATV sprayer works just fine for most food plots of reasonable size!

MRRB ... you should read the entire OP's thread if you haven't.

Your situation and his situation may have nothing in common relative to equipment wear & tear.

His issue is not spraying ... and wether he is carrying a sprayer or towing. His issue is pull behind soil implements.

He is considering an upgrade to something that may not add value to his work effort ... the atv class of equipment is falling regardless of it's virtues ...

What kind of used AG tractors do you have in the area? I have a 33hp Deere 4wd hydro with bucket and grapple. It's awesome for what it can handle. But I'm ALWAYS underpowered in lift capacity or pulling or traction at some point during the day. I think that's just the nature of owning equipment. This summer I got to run my uncles bulldozer and that opened my eyes to new needs..... the need for POWER AND WEIGHT. Now my tractor feels like a toy :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRRB ... you should read the entire OP's thread if you haven't.

Your situation and his situation may have nothing in common relative to equipment wear & tear.

His issue is not spraying ... and wether he is carrying a sprayer or towing. His issue is pull behind soil implements.

He is considering an upgrade to something that may not add value to his work effort ... the atv class of equipment is falling regardless of it's virtues ...

I do have a problem spraying. I overheated a few times last year and only fill up my 25 gal sprayer half way now to keep weight down.

Also, i fully intend to purchase a used tractor for everyone saying save your money. Sounds like the smaller more manueverable ones are still going to have the same issues im running into.

What can you tell us about power output of your ATV? Do you know or have the info as to the HP or torque it produces at a particular rpm?
Look at torque - which is what matters when it comes to ground engaging equipment. Look at the weight and torque differences between the tractors you are looking at and that of the ATV's you are currently using. Just for some info - 2017 honda Foreman 500 produces 28.7hp @ 6,000+rpm, 28ft/lb of torque at 5,000 rpm and weights 630 lbs. Some of the tractors you are looking at will produce as much HP, twice the torque and twice the weight.....because they are designed for different tasks. I think you will be better off with a tractor vs another ATV, but the more tractor you get the more you can expect of it as well. The ATV will win the race with a tractor - no doubt. But chain a couple hundred pound log to both and then see who crosses the finish line first! Buy the tool for the intended purpose.

I've used a 25 gal boomless sprayer with my Kawasaki Prarie 650. I handles is just fine with no issues at all. I use it on my buddies smaller ATV a few times. It was too much for it to handle. I had to put a bucket of cement on the front and lean forward to counter balance it or I would lose steering. The weight almost grounded the shocks. The smaller engine struggled under the weight load. I use my ATV for other things so I decided to mount the sprayer on a 3pt carry all. I now use it with a Ford 1300 tractor, but that little tractor also handles my 55 gal Fimco boom sprayer with no issues.

Anytime you push equipment beyond its design limits, you may be able to accomplish the task, but you will have more maintenance issues. I pushed my 4x4 Kioti DK45 with FEL far beyond its limits clearing food plots. I've had to have the loader welded. I've broken pins. I've broken hydraulic lines, I've broken windows running branches through them and more. Given my situation, it was a reasonable choice given the options, and I knew I would have consequences going in.

There are always tradeoffs. Lots of good information and perspectives to consider on this thread.

Thanks,

Jack

I use an atv for my food plots. I have an 2008 Artic Cat 700 efi, and the thing is a beast. It has high, and low rang, and I have no issue pulling a 40 inch disc, or a spiked harrow. I dont have a boom sprayer, but I will tell you that the rear suspension would be able to handle 400 pounds with no issue. It really has been a great piece of equipment for food plotting. I personally think it would be a better option then any garden tractor series tractors. The only disadvantage is you dont have a steady throttle for spraying, but since I dont use a boom sprayer, it makes no difference to me. I bought my ATV in 2011 used, and I paid $4300 for it, and I have used it every year for all of my food plot needs, and I also use it for fun, and I have had very little issues with it, and the couple I have had were related to my fun habits, rather then the food plots stuff. I only manage ~3 acres, but in small areas, 3/4 acres, it has worked perfect. I know one could get the same ATV now for under $3000.

I didn't know what a BX25D series looked like so I looked it up. That's a lot of money for a tiny little humped up lawn mower. Your plots are small enough that what you're already doing is probably fine. Moreover, I think many guys are planting plots your size with hand tools. You say that you'd like to expand the size of your plots. IMHO, based on your description of the plots and your land, you could get a lot of used tractor to suit your needs for a fraction of the cost of that little Kubota. Something like a used JD 650, 750, or 850 with low hours. Lots of power...compact for the tight corners...well built...and the 3 cylinder Yanmar engine will run forever.

I do have a problem spraying. I overheated a few times last year and only fill up my 25 gal sprayer half way now to keep weight down.

Also, i fully intend to purchase a used tractor for everyone saying save your money. Sounds like the smaller more manueverable ones are still going to have the same issues im running into.

Scott ... as I stated, spraying in not your problem. If you can reduce the volume in your tank and make more refills/runs ... to reduce stress on your machine ... no problem.

You issue trying to drag implements ... you can adjust your machine to gear for the stress these place on your machine ... as mentioned above ... horsepower & weight ...

things you can do to HELP your atv run cooler
is try running GOOD syn oil, and some of the radiator coolant that is made to help run cooler
, like Purple Ice and such, they really do help

one of the big issue's I find with atv's for food plot work(we have 15+ different make and model atv's at hunting camp, so I see things)
is the larger one's are not IMO as good at running slow under a load, they over heat WAY faster than the smaller one's

and again, one of the issue's I also find with many of the NEW tractors being made today is is weight, they MIGHT have more hp, but they lost a lot of the weight they once were built with.

an example is, you go way back at simple tractors that lasted and worked like a dog,
say a IH model H, built in the 40-50's and many still running today?
is they were under 20 hp, but weighted in at about 3600 lbs, and were geared to move things and pull things, now a days you can buy 50 hp, 4x4 tractors that don't weight as much? and odds are won't pull very much better(unless maybe in really soft/muddy ground due to 4x4?)
weight IS your friend when working with anything you drag or pull, but you need the gearing to compensate!

older tractors when in decent condition can be great buys, and save you thousands, and odds are many of the older one's the average idiot can work on
today's new things, GOOD Luck on fixing things in your garage or field?

if you didn;t have hills, or SIDE hills, I would honestly suggest a tricycle tractor for you, as they will turn the tightest
I never liked them and refused to really run them till many many yrs back I didn;t have the option to say no
and I was highly impressed with how stable they worked, UP and down hills, as long as straight going, never a pucker moment! and on flat ground, they were sweet for tight turns at the end of rows!
food for thought!

I appreciate all the help on this thread. Being up at my property again with the insight on these smaller tractors, I think I've come to the conclusion that I will get the best value for now and what I can imagine in the future by getting a larger/heavier tractor and just dealing with two of my more hard to reach plots needing to be maintained by hand/ATV.