Help selecting a fall planting behind buckwheat cover

DRG3

5 year old buck +
I have briefly touched on this topic in another of my threads, but wanted to get a dedicated one to get some specific input. I am located in zone 7a- western KY

I did spread 2T ac of lime this spring, but that will be all of the soil amending I can do until next year.

I have 3 acres of buckwheat that I planted the first of June and is growing well. This was planted in behind a soybean production ag crop last year.

I want to get a fall food source planted into this buckwheat and am getting conflicting information on what would be the best options. I do not have access to a drill so I will either have to fully terminate and till in the buckwheat- which i have the equipment for- or I will need to sew into the buckwheat and then terminate it on top of the seed.

What are the best options for grain in the mix-
Oats- I am concerned about seed to soil contact if I broadcast into and terminate the Buckwheat vs tillage
Wheat- I have never used wheat
Ceral- Rye- some folks I talk to prefer it to wheat, others prefer wheat- my question is what is likely to grow better without tillage

What are the best options for a legume in the mix and planting conditions
Winter peas- this was my thinking as I would like to get benifit from it this year vs waiting on clover
annual clover- I plan to put in a summer food source next year so I don't see any upside to a perennial clover here.

What kind of seeding rates for your reccomendations

I can also bushog and till in the buckwheat then broadcast, but I am concerned it may be too thick.

THank you in advance

If you are not working the soil, and just broadcast planting, you will need seed that will quickly germinate. I would go with winter (cereal) rye and medium red clover. Both will have food benefits, but also the WR will suppress weeds and add OM to your soil. Plant at 60-100 lbs/acre.

The MRC will scavenge nitrogen. Get the clover spread now to allow the rain to help assure soil contact. Go with 5 lbs/acre. On the

If you can cultipack after broadcasting that will help with soil contact.

You could also consider some forage brassicas mixed in with the clover.