Help me convert cutting into trees

I think you're going to like what you see with those mulberries, they grow very well from cuttings. You can even use small limbs(truncheons) as cuttings and sink them in the ground and they will start to root and throw up top growth. Google "cutting propagation" or "what types of plants can propagate through cuttings", piles of info.

EDIT: The rooting hormone charts John has posted/linked on the Big Rock Trees website are very thorough and should contain all the info you need on specific plants and types of hormones.

Last edited:
I think you're going to like what you see with those mulberries, they grow very well from cuttings. You can even use small limbs(truncheons) as cuttings and sink them in the ground and they will start to root and throw up top growth. Google "cutting propagation" or "what types of plants can propagate through cuttings", piles of info.

EDIT: The rooting hormone charts John has posted/linked on the Big Rock Trees website are very thorough and should contain all the info you need on specific plants and types of hormones.
Cool - I have mulberry commonly in damp areas on my place and the birds like them. Not much use for much else in my area. I tend to hinge them, but I was just trying something and trying to get something/anything to grow to limit the view of the neighbor. Not that he is a bad guy, but I'm not going to give him the opportunity either!

So far you guys have been a huge help.

I assume the cutting will need to grow roots well before I will see top growth - how will that compare to the established willows I have? Or is it just a "wait and see" sort of thing?

I would think it will be "wait and see" as you stated, mulberry growth can be somewhat site specific from my experience. Some areas it grows like giant ragweed and others it grows like a red cedar.

I'm planting some dogwood cuttings I got off a creek by my place. The lower pic was a test last year to see how they would do with no maintenance.

If these goes even half as well as I hope - and I'm going to be planting sticks for a long time to come - and not just willow!!!!

I assume the cutting will need to grow roots well before I will see top growth - how will that compare to the established willows I have? Or is it just a "wait and see" sort of thing?

You can expect the cuttings to start showing life when the soil temps warm into the 50's ... Maybe a little before because willows can grow when it's pretty cold.

Once the soil temp is in the 60's you'll know how you did for sure.

Great project. Well done!

-John

You can expect the cuttings to start showing life when the soil temps warm i
I was hoping to get a bunch of cuttings in the ground today..but the frost was not cooperative :( Maybe a these next few warm days will loosen it up enough so my battery drill lasts for more than a dozen or so holes. Forgot to charge up the batteries for my other drill so the project came to a halt.
I didn't have that issue. I do however have to find a better way - my redneck side is looking at some sort of spud gun - turned into a stick shooter!!!! Not sure if I want magazine or belt feed! I'll tell the wife and kids it's my vampire gun - they already think I'm crazy!!!

Don't shoot yourself in the foot!:eek:

Would it damage the cutting to the point of causing issue if you used something more like a properly sized post driver?

Use a rubber mallet, if you start to damage the top of the cutting much, the ground is too hard.

In soft ground they sometimes slide right in!

-John

I'll have to give it some thought.

well i went to check on my cuttings today and well - lets just say - I'm screwed! I expected it to be iffy since I didn't control the weeds, but what I found was well......... It's a tangled mess and over run with stilt grass! There is no way those willow cuttings will survive this.

cuttings doomed.jpg

If this is what I will have to deal with will going with larger cuttings help to get above the shade that the weeds will create?

Question - For you guys talking about " poplars " - are they poplars of some type or aspens ?? I know some areas of the country call aspens - poplars. Can aspens be propagated by cuttings ?? No experience with cuttings. Thanks.

Thanks, Stu. I wasn't sure if you guys were talking aspens or not. I know they spread from roots after dropping older trees, but didn't know about cuttings.

well i went to check on my cuttings today and well - lets just say - I'm screwed! I expected it to be iffy since I didn't control the weeds, but what I found was well......... It's a tangled mess and over run with stilt grass! There is no way those willow cuttings will survive this.

View attachment 5047

Clethodin is your friend. You can spray it right over the willows and it won't hurt them. you can also mix it with fusillade II. The fusillade is a preemergent for future grass control. Clethodin calls for crop oil. I'd skip that and use a few drops of liquid dish detergent as the sticker.

I used this on my wife's ivy patch that was being over run with stilt grass. Worked like a charm.

Now if the stilt grass dies and is replaced by ragweed or another tall growing broad leaf you're weed whipping :D.