Help! Just found some disease!

Derek Reese 29

5 year old buck +
Was walking tonight and found what I think is CAR on one of my pear trees. Won’t say the variety but it is a common deer pear from one of the nurseries near me. What can I do right now to help this tree and to help it not to spread to the other 40+ trees I have up there?IMG_8147.jpeg

IMG_8144.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8145.jpeg
    IMG_8145.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 7
Bonide fruit tree spray is easy to find locally. If it's on your trees, it's probably in the area.

Bonide fruit tree spray is easy to find locally. If it's on your trees, it's probably in the area.
I think I have some just didn’t know if it would be effective this close to fall?

Nothing you're going to do about CAR once the symptoms appear. Next spring spray with Immunox every 7-10 days during the spring

Could be cedar pear rust. Very similar. So are cedar quince rust and cedar hawthorn rust

Last edited:
Thats not like anyCAR I have seen and I have never got it on pear trees.

Cedar Rust come from different fugni of the same type. The more reddish could be the leaf is just dying like it does seasonally. You can spray, but likely wont do much. ID any cedar nearby. You might want to spray or eliminate them if possible.

Bonide fruit tree spray I generally put in 3oz/gal. Or Keep at standard mixture, but add a little more captan for fungus or malathion for insects.

Might be digging my fruit tree spray out. I planted a couple of spray roses for the wife. They're loaded with aphids. I hoses them off while watering, but need to spray those guys. Need to break out the roundup to spray a few perennial things growing in my apple tree woodchips.

Your color looks more reddish, but the stuff growing on those spots looks alot alike.

I would spray those trees when young to get good growth the 1st few years. I do that with catepillars. Might have to spray for scab for my wife's favorite varieties. Almost think cedar apple rust is easier than dealing with scab.

Don’t have any cedars that I know of within 200 yards but do have some hawthorns around..very weird

I don’t generally spray if the trees can’t make it on their own then I don’t want them, waste of my time. I’d simply replace it with a diffrent pear tree or maybe a crabapple tree. I’ve never had pear rust at my place but one of my coworkers only a few miles away has had issues with it in his yard. Trouble with many of the new trees for deer offerings is they haven’t gone thru any actual academic trials so their disease resistance is completely unknown I don’t buy too many of them at a time so I can evaluate their performance on my site before planting a lot of any one type. Now if you drive around and find some very old trees in your area that have survived many years I’d be looking to collect scion wood from those known locally tough trees.

I have some copper fungicide would that work also, when I spray now and in the spring?

I have no experience with copper, other than including Kocide with dormant oil in early spring. That is for a bit of fireblight control, but it's effectiveness is questionable.

If you're going to spray for CAR, go ahead and pick up some Immunox. Myclobutanil is the active ingredient. There are brands other than Immunox available, generally in larger quantities and stronger concentrations. If you plan to spray for CAR regularly, you may want to look at something like Rally. Immunox is pretty cheap and highly effective when applied correctly. I wouldn't waste my time and product spraying anything for CAR now.

There some neet oil with some added fungicide you can spray right before the buds break. Also good for killing alot of bug eggs and dormant smaller ones under the bark in nooks. neem max think its called. Copper is a good one though.

I live with 3 large orchards in my town and literally tens of thousands of abandoned trees everywhere. Bugs will always be a battle. Just dont ant to add more battles. Only exception might be scab because y wifes really likes a few that get it.

I have 2 pears at home, bartlet and kieffer. not doing so hot this year, last year they were growing great. Got an overall orangish/red hue to the leaves. Maybe put on 6 inches of growth. Not sure what it is, might just be soil isn't good for it.

Good or bad, let it go a year or two and debate whether to topwork it or not. Not sure about pears, but got 3 trees growing ok with tons of cedar rust on it. Not a death sentence for trees really.

I have no experience with copper, other than including Kocide with dormant oil in early spring. That is for a bit of fireblight control, but it's effectiveness is questionable.

If you're going to spray for CAR, go ahead and pick up some Immunox. Myclobutanil is the active ingredient. There are brands other than Immunox available, generally in larger quantities and stronger concentrations. If you plan to spray for CAR regularly, you may want to look at something like Rally. Immunox is pretty cheap and highly effective when applied correctly. I wouldn't waste my time and product spraying anything for CAR now.
Good idea to spray all my fruit trees (~6 dozen) with Immunox as a precaution or is it cost prohibitive?

Good idea to spray all my fruit trees (~6 dozen) with Immunox as a precaution or is it cost prohibitive?
Probably depends who you ask. I spray all my people fruit trees multiple times annually with several different products. I don't spray wildlife trees unless they get hammered by defoliating insects.

Some trees/areas get CAR terribly every year. Some don't.

Cost prohibitive is subjective. I don't find spraying multiple products multiple times prohibitive, but that's just me. I'm not poor, but I'm sure not rich.

My answer to your question would be yes, it's a good idea. I'm sure others here will disagree.