Helicopter spraying at my farm today.

Having a backpack crew do it was double the price.
I've got some cost share money coming, maybe it'll work out on the BH. I have to imagine a backpack crew in bluff country isn't cheap.

Yessir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's hear the results? How long ago? Effective? What chemical did they use? How did the deer react to the Agent Orange type bombardment?

Let's hear the results? How long ago? Effective? What chemical did they use? How did the deer react to the Agent Orange type bombardment?
They are done in less than 2 hours. Doesn’t affect the deer at all b

They are done in less than 2 hours. Doesn’t affect the deer at all b
All due respect, there is a very large difference for most of us in the upper Midwest with a mid Nov spraying which Booner21 references and the mid May spray you're having done. Sorry if I hijacked your thread, you opened my eyes to a possibility I didn't think was available, much appreciated for that.

Back in the late 60's early 70's my dad raised cabbage as a cash crop. We had a wet year and it needed to be sprayed and the only option was to hire a guy with a helicopter to come do it. I was 14 and my job was to help load when he came in to refill. I kept asking to ride along and he kept saying NO. Needless to say I kept asking. Finally he told me he couldn't as he didn't have an extra helmet. I have me dirt bike in the shed and ran up grabbed my helmet put it on and ran back with a big smile on my face. He gave in and let me ride along. Boy let me tell you that was an experience. He get to the end of the field and the turn was like a pivot. One second you be looking straight ahead the next it was straight up then side ways and back to straight ahead, all in seconds. It was a ride I'll never forget.

Back in the late 60's early 70's my dad raised cabbage as a cash crop. We had a wet year and it needed to be sprayed and the only option was to hire a guy with a helicopter to come do it. I was 14 and my job was to help load when he came in to refill. I kept asking to ride along and he kept saying NO. Needless to say I kept asking. Finally he told me he couldn't as he didn't have an extra helmet. I have me dirt bike in the shed and ran up grabbed my helmet put it on and ran back with a big smile on my face. He gave in and let me ride along. Boy let me tell you that was an experience. He get to the end of the field and the turn was like a pivot. One second you be looking straight ahead the next it was straight up then side ways and back to straight ahead, all in seconds. It was a ride I'll never forget.
Cool story. He turned just like you describe!

I’ve been on a few helicopters. I don’t like the feeling!

How did you find the company that does this?

Only a few in my state that does it. So everyone knows the guy.

A Forrester can put you in touch. Or Google.

It’s actually getting a little popular in ky for ag purposes. Seen several videos locally of guys doing it. Actually saw an ag spraying chopper being trailered down the road the other day

All due respect, there is a very large difference for most of us in the upper Midwest with a mid Nov spraying which Booner21 references and the mid May spray you're having done. Sorry if I hijacked your thread, you opened my eyes to a possibility I didn't think was available, much appreciated for that.
My cameras are absolutely covered up with deer pics today day 2 after my spraying.

They sprayed the Thursday at 940 before our gun season in IL which opens on Friday usually about November 20th give or take a couple of days. I hunted the farm that morning it before they sprayed and saw mid twenties for deer all bedding on my property. They called me when they were ready to start spraying and I climbed down from the stand. I have cell cams out and had deer and Turkey pictures by 1030 on the cams

I hunted the farm that Sunday so 3 days later in the evening and was able to harvest a mature buck.

They spray glyphosate for bush honeysuckle control and I would say it killed 80-90 percent it was done in 2020.

1d539568ff7a2f2d83c47a8af83f932b.jpeg

33481998ed68c8d273679e1e0f2fb3e0.jpg

They sprayed the Thursday at 940 before our gun season in IL which opens on Friday usually about November 20th give or take a couple of days. I hunted the farm that morning it before they sprayed and saw mid twenties for deer all bedding on my property. They called me when they were ready to start spraying and I climbed down from the stand. I have cell cams out and had deer and Turkey pictures by 1030 on the cams

I hunted the farm that Sunday so 3 days later in the evening and was able to harvest a mature buck.

They spray glyphosate for bush honeysuckle control and I would say it killed 80-90 percent it was done in 2020.

Do you mind saying the price? I’m super interested in doing it

Beautiful buck, congrats to you! Thanks for the info!

After talking with my forester about the possibility of helicopter spraying in the bluffs of SW WI, he didn't think it was a practice that is feasible due to thermals and the flight style required of the helicopter. These are ~250' bluffs in total elevation change, does anyone have an opinion on this? He also wasn't sure that cost share would cover this option, which seems ridiculous to me.

After talking with my forester about the possibility of helicopter spraying in the bluffs of SW WI, he didn't think it was a practice that is feasible due to thermals and the flight style required of the helicopter. These are ~250' bluffs in total elevation change, does anyone have an opinion on this? He also wasn't sure that cost share would cover this option, which seems ridiculous to me.
I feel like thermals can be negotiated depending on time of day and conditions. They are not always rising and I’d welcome dropping thermals to try to get herbicide down.
Talked to a buddy of mine who had it done a year or so ago. 90 acre cutover and it was around $12-15k. So not exactly cheap. I’d need to do some real soul searching with that cost.

I feel like thermals can be negotiated depending on time of day and conditions. They are not always rising and I’d welcome dropping thermals to try to get herbicide down.
Talked to a buddy of mine who had it done a year or so ago. 90 acre cutover and it was around $12-15k. So not exactly cheap. I’d need to do some real soul searching with that cost.
I could stomach a price like that if the cost sharing was what I've been quoted, which means basically about 50-60% to control BH.