Heavy Soybean Browse

Warner32

A good 3 year old buck
dc71f1dc16e6ccb804140b3cbdbd562b.jpg

Alright guys question for everyone on planting soybean plots .... For people who have heavy deer browse what would you recommend? I have seen those Hot Zone electric fence setups but they are just too expensive to justify us using that... Unless anyone has a lot cheaper idea that they do?
Also do many people plant some type of cover plot for their beans? The weeds left in the plot have seemed to help as a cover crop.... As you can tell from the picture.. The bean on the left are completely mowed down.. And I did spray that area for weeds.. The area to the right where it looks like just high weeds is an area I didn't spray but the beans in amongst the weeds are untouched by the deer and going strong.. Those beans are hopefully the ones that still have pods later in the season at this spot

You have beans in that tall foxtail? I would be surprised if they even produce viable pods. Maybe since you are in OH(likely zone 6), you may get some pods on them if you are in good soil? Tall weeds can really stress pod production on soybeans. Have you checked them for pods?

Yes this picture is the entire plot around July 10th.. As you can see we got a lot of germination and you can see a few weeds mixed in.. But the very middle of this field is where the foxtail is now.. I checked the beans in the foxtail and the beans are twice the size of the browsed plants and yes they are already producing pods.. The foxtail looks a lot thicker in the first picture than what it really is.. A majority of it is beans mixed in

f6d2cbfe6c595609859dfa99b34e2788.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me I had to go e-fence. It was about $1,100 for 3 ac but that cost will be spread over years of plot success and for a few hundred $ more can be expanded to 6 ac. I also went with Gallagher products which are on the high end. Same stuff can be had for less if u research it.Try adding about 7 lbs corn/ac if u do not e-fence as the corn seems to help beans get established.Buy RR beans and you can fix the weed problem. This was my first year with fence protection and in hind sight I would have let down the fence earlier and will next year.This is what mine looked like a couple of days ago.

IMG_1737_zpss0outhcx.jpg

For me I had to go e-fence. It was about $1,100 for 3 ac but that cost will be spread over years of plot success and for a few hundred $ more can be expanded to 6 ac. I also went with Gallagher products which are on the high end. Same stuff can be had for less if u research it.Try adding about 7 lbs corn/ac if u do not e-fence as the corn seems to help beans get established.Buy RR beans and you can fix the weed problem. This was my first year with fence protection and in hind sight I would have let down the fence earlier and will next year.This is what mine looked like a couple of days ago.

IMG_1737_zpss0outhcx.jpg

Yea I was looking at the Gallagher products.. Did you do a 3D style e-fence?... I also wondered about spreading in corn.. It seems to me that if you give them some obstacles in the way of the beans they don't tend to just plow it down like they would if nothing but beans.. The tall weeds have kind of done that for me in this plot.. And I did use RR beans but I only sprayed part of the plot because I didn't see much weeds starting at all when the beans where already starting to create a decent canopy but I was wrong the weeds poped up pretty fast..
Also how did you plant the beans and the corn at the same time? Same depth? and what kind of Fert did you use because doesn't corn need more Nitrogen?.. granted I know that all depends on your soil sample

Used the Gallagher 3D set up and it worked perfectly. Planting was simply broadcasting onto well disced field with 300 lb/AC of 13-13-13 and lightly discing again. One Gly spray at about 4 weeks and that was that. Oh and lots and lots of rain!

what was your lbs per acre brad?
Used the Gallagher 3D set up and it worked perfectly. Planting was simply broadcasting onto well disced field with 300 lb/AC of 13-13-13 and lightly discing again. One Gly spray at about 4 weeks and that was that. Oh and lots and lots of rain!

Planted Eagle Large Lads at 50 lbs/ac with 7 lbs/ac rr corn.

Planted Eagle Large Lads at 50 lbs/ac with 7 lbs/ac rr corn.
Brad, I like that plan a lot! Did the LL smother out the corn, or is it doing well also? Did you drill it or broadcast?

It was all broadcast. As you can see in the pic the beans are just about over the top of the corn, which was making ears before the beans got so high. I will have to have my buddy up there pull a few ears and see if they filled out

Do you know if the LL are making pods yet? What zone are you in again? Did you spray with gly at all after planting?

They are making pods right now, I am in SE Alabama and they got one gly spray at 4 weeks.

Have you guys planted any other type of beans beside Eagle? Being in a northern state I was more interested in pod production from the beans since they hit the actual beans themselves hard in November and Dec when it's cold and late season in snow .. I wondered how they compared with other beans as far as producing pods.. I used Real World Wildlife brand of beans in these pictures

Your going to be hard pressed to get a "forage bean" like the Eagles to out perform a "grain bean" like those used in agriculture for producing grain. The plants are simply bred for different traits. For us plotters the "holy grail" would be a marriage of browse resistance and pod production, but I am not aware of that "magic bean" as of yet. I plant ag beans, when I plant soybeans.......I can do so in small plots because of two things.....low deer numbers and an overwhelming amount of beans being available beyond my plots. My farm this year I have 70 acres of ag beans.....and that is just my place. Yep - that's a big summer food plot!!!!
beans.jpg

Great looking beans j-bird! Have you walked the edges of the woodline to inspect for browse? It is typically very noticeable within the first 5 to 10 yards of the treelines.

Don't have to worry about them browsing out a field like that. Being in the South I was not real worried about pod production, I don't know if the deer will even eat them. If they do I might do a 50/50 mix of ag and Eagles next year.I will for sure let the fence down earlier.

Great looking beans j-bird! Have you walked the edges of the woodline to inspect for browse? It is typically very noticeable within the first 5 to 10 yards of the treelines.
First of all - that is not a "plot" it is one of my rented ag fields.....but the deer don't know that! So I joke as far as it being a "plot".....but the idea of providing more food than the deer can eat is grossly obvious in the situation I have.

And yes, I walk the edges as part of my scouting efforts to see where the deer are browsing. The beans will be harvested before my archery season opens, but the information of the how and why I use in other aspects of my hunting. Turns out small features can make a big difference in a fairly featureless area.

Alright guys a little update for you... Went back to the farm this weekend to investigate a little more... I checked out the beans that I had not sprayed earlier in the season and as I said before they are the only beans that have not been grazed on...
8059ded7e61ec6975db50a5226576555.jpg

You can see them mixed in with all of the ragweed... And they are growing pods

a99a4fe60a7b18f9669a3899486f6e69.jpg

I'm sure they are not going to produce the pods that they would of if I would of sprayed them.. But as I said all the areas we sprayed got pretty much wiped out by deer.. These being Real World Wildlife seeds may have helped because they are more directed to pod production...

ea6d28253ea90ae86a98dac4b4857ce8.jpg

Also through in some brassica in the heavy browsed areas and it's already sprouting pretty good