heater body suit

N

non-pro-archer

I pulled the trigger on an hbs. Anyone else have one? How comfortable are they in 20-30 degree temps and how much would you wear under it to stay warm in those temps

Low 20 medium/ heavy coat underneath. 30s-a sweat shirt jeans and long johns. I haven't used mine yet but I should of at 14 one morning.

I've though about getting one but it's only been a though so far.

I've though about getting one but it's only been a though so far.
I hate getting cold on the stand, and this year I'm not getting much time to hunt so I want to be able to maximize my time on stand. I figured if I'm comfortable I'll stay all day

At 20-30 deg, I doubt I'd wear more than my scent lok liners and my camo jeans and shirt. Only time ever use them is 25 below in Canada on an all day sits. Obviously dressed warm underneath in those conditions. Those things keep you pretty warm.

At 20-30 deg, I doubt I'd wear more than my scent lok liners and my camo jeans and shirt. Only time ever use them is 25 below in Canada on an all day sits. Obviously dressed warm underneath in those conditions. Those things keep you pretty warm.
That's what I was hoping for, I know we don't get that cold here in missouri compared to more northern parts of the country but I hate the idea of getting cold and heading home when I get very little time to hunt in the first place. Before now I have just layered up but I think this will be a way better system for me

I have one. It works great! Doesn't take much else when its 30. I used one in Ohio and it was 2 degrees. I never got cold.

I got my suit today and I'm very impressed with it, it seems very durable and the material is pretty quiet. I'm ready to get in the woods with it and put it to good use

Sat in mine last night. High winds and 25-30 degrees. I choose to use it because of the wind. I wore long johns and fleece pants and jacket. I was comfortable. By the end of a 3 hour sit perhaps getting a little chilly. One thing I wish I had was a windproof hood or balaclava, I had a light weigh fleece balaclava over my Stormy Kromer hat. Wind went right through the fleece.

I don't use mine in 30 deg temps unless it is windy. Too warm. I'd rather bow hunt in coveralls if I can but I will will get the HBS out if I need it. Usually I just use mine for gun season or late season bow.

For 30 deg temps you might as well go out in a sweatshirt but the extra weight and bulk for those temps seems unnecessary to me at least.
Mine is stored in a tote at the bottom of my gun stand as I type this. That way I don’t have to carry it out that morning. I’ll decide then if I need it. But I will have my Blaze Orange Parka on with Insulated pants along with layers so it will need to be 20 or lower to need it.

Another thing to know is that neck gaiters make the world of differnce especially with the HBS. That really seals you into the HBS and there is no heat loss even at the top where the zipper is.

I have this berber one and love it. Big Big Big difference. I usually just wear it on the neck and not pull it over the face.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Outfitter-Berber-Neck-Gaiter/1380997.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=berber+neck+gaiter&x=0&y=0&Ntt=berber neck gaiter&WTz_l=Unknown

I don't own a heater body suit but am thinking about it. This coming weekend morning sits are going to be at zero at my place where with any wind its almost impossible not to get cold on stand. For you guys who moved stands based on necessity and are faced with a season of very cold temps how do you carry the suit. Does it strap to your pack? How do you get into it when on stand. In my situation I would already be wearing a heavy jacket, bibs and boots so could I put it on while I sit on the stand?

I don't own a heater body suit but am thinking about it. This coming weekend morning sits are going to be at zero at my place where with any wind its almost impossible not to get cold on stand. For you guys who moved stands based on necessity and are faced with a season of very cold temps how do you carry the suit. Does it strap to your pack? How do you get into it when on stand. In my situation I would already be wearing a heavy jacket, bibs and boots so could I put it on while I sit on the stand?

For gun season like I said I like to get it there early and then store it in a tote. If that is not possible, it comes with two straps that allow you to carry it with straps rolled up like a back pack. I either attach it to my backpack I am carrying or actually wear my backpack normal on my back and then the HBS on my chest with the backpack straps.

This video shows the entire process pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator:
For gun season like I said I like to get it there early and then store it in a tote. If that is not possible, it comes with two straps that allow you to carry it with straps rolled up like a back pack. I either attach it to my backpack I am carrying or actually wear my backpack in the front and then the HBS on my chest with the backpack straps.

This video shows the entire process pretty well.

BJE80, thanks for posting the link. The suit looks like a quality unit. How does the suit block the wind? I have a few stands that can be brutal when the wind and cold temps hit.

Thanks again.

BJE80, thanks for posting the link. The suit looks like a quality unit. How does the suit block the wind? I have a few stands that can be brutal when the wind and cold temps hit.

Thanks again.

They are quality. Zipper and fabric are top notch. Just make sure you get the right size. If it is too big or too small you won't enjoy it as much.

The HBS blocks the wind extremely well. That is one of its biggest assets. If you are gun hunting, get the orange zip in blaze orange inserts as well. Super convenient.
Another tip I have is to take those instant chemical hand warmer packs and drop one down each leg each morning. That also really keeps things nice and warm inside. For a few cents it makes things really toasty warm in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
HBS does a great job at blocking the wind. Like mentioned above get good set of head/neck wear. The video make putting in on look easy. That guy must have more coordination than I do. Take your time and be careful.

I've used mine a couple times now and I love it. I sat all day yesterday in close to freezing temps with 30 mph wind gusts and it was like night and day difference between having it and not having it. Getting it on in the stand made me a little nervous but it wasn't too bad.