Hearing Protection and Enhancement

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
What is you favorite device for hearing protection and enhancement? I bird hunt a lot and take a lot of hunters some experienced some not so much. I really need to be able to hear and protect my ears when I am handling 4 dogs, guiding 3 guests and trying to make sure all goes well and safe. I have seen some pretty high end stuff on other forums but not sure what they were. I tried a Razor XV from Walker last week. As one review stated it worked one time and then was done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I'm getting to the point where I need hearing aids. Digital hearing aids have a high db cutoff feature to protect you from loud noises. I've used commercial stuff like walker. They are fine for protection and general hearing when on the range or bird hunting. They don't work well to remediate hearing loss. If you turn up the gain, in increase the noise.

I'll soon be going to an audiologist for a hearing test and get hearing aids equalized for my hearing loss. I had one years ago and it worked well but I lost it. You can have several different programs of equalization for different situations. There is some research that suggests hearing loss increases more rapidly if it is not remediated with hearing aids. Evidently the part of one's brain used to interrupt language degrades when the stimulus from your ears is reduced. Getting hearing aids sooner verses later can slow the loss.

Perhaps not a direct answer to your question, but before you invest in a hunting/shooting specific product, make sure you don't need general hearing loss remediation. Hearing aids can serve both purposes. They are just as good as the commercial high db cutoff features in the hunting/shooting products, but the listening aspects are much superior. They are expensive though.

Thanks,

Jack

The ones I had seen people write about in the past are EAR and ESPs. Sport Ear makes some as well. Those darn Walkers that I wore last week worked great the first day, but a BIG problem is that I honestly didn’t realize they were not blocking the sound last week and they did more damage than good.

The ones I had seen people write about in the past are EAR and ESPs. Sport Ear makes some as well. Those darn Walkers that I wore last week worked great the first day, but a BIG problem is that I honestly didn’t realize they were not blocking the sound last week and they did more damage than good.

The ones I've used have an obvious cut-off with a gunshot. You hear the beginning but then everything goes dead for half a second. I may have played with a Sport Ear many years ago, that name sound familiar. I have a pair of walker headphone type I use on the range. You can hear range commands normally but gun blasts are cut off. I just find headphone style too awkward for hunting. I prefer something in the ear for that.

I wonder if you just got a bad unit rather than it being an indicator of the brand.

Thanks,

Jack

I have ESP’s. I bird hunt a lot and in similar situations to you where I need to be able to hear what’s going on with dogs, hunters etc. The ESP’s were very pricey and I am paranoid about losing them but they work great. I have owned them about 5 years and wouldn’t go out without them. My buddy has a pair too. I know they aren’t cheap but what’s your hearing worth?

I'm a big duck hunter and four guys shooting out of a blind has damaged my hearing over the years. I know of 6 buddies and kids besides myself that now use these. Highly recommended! https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leigh...45&sr=8-3&keywords=howard+leight+impact+sport
Ive got some similar ones. They mess with my gun mount so bad I dont wear them.

Ive got some similar ones. They mess with my gun mount so bad I dont wear them.

Same for me. I use them when I'm at the range with pistol or pulling for skeet/sporting clays.

I just bought these but haven't used them yet. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/8...eable-electronic-ear-plugs-nrr-23db-gray-pair

I looked at others but didn't like them mostly being nonrechargable. Hopefully I go duck hunting this coming weekend and can report back on how they work.

Let me know if you use those, but I am a little down on Walker and leaning toward the higher end stuff. The ones I bought did exactly what the reviews said, worked once then did more harm than good. I am also hoping for a little more noice reduction than the ones you identified.

Let me know if you use those, but I am a little down on Walker and leaning toward the higher end stuff. The ones I bought did exactly what the reviews said, worked once then did more harm than good. I am also hoping for a little more noice reduction than the ones you identified.

Let me know what you decide on. My biggest thing was being rechargeable so I'm not constantly buying the hearing aid batteries.

I wouldn't recommend the ones I just bought. While they "worked", I heard a constant white noise that was very annoying so I'm sending them back.