All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heading to Iowa

Congrats on the Iowa hunt.

I struggle to even see a buck during a whole season at times.

One of my buddies/full time resident of zone 1 did not see a buck during a 16 day season. Like many hunters, I fear.

Isnt there an old saying??? This thread is worthless without pics. :)

My total buck sightings for the year in MN is 3. Well, one was a button buck, but at least it makes my numbers sound more impressive. :)

Iowa hunt update----I shot a busted up 9 @ 9:30 opening morning. He came down a creek bottom scent checking for does. I had already had around 20 does and one shed buck come by me (yes a buck with no antlers?)

He got within 75 yds and I pulled up on him with my Savage 20.

He turned slightly and I thought he might bolt. I put the crosshairs on him quartering away and made the shot.

I found him just over the next hill in the thick timber....he smelled rutty! Big old buck with a management type rack. Perfect one to get for my farm. I was stoked.

Friend of mine came over to help drag it out. Which is a real project in itself.
(See pic)

That evening I sat with friend and filmed his hunt. It was 3:30 and we had been in blind about 1/2 hour when we saw some deer coming from property to the east. They were pushing deer, which is common in Iowa!

In the group of deer was a real nice buck. They cut toward us because we left some standing corn for food plot.

That turned out to be a great decision!

The big 10 crossed in front of us and Slowed down. Friend made the shot but was not sure he hit it.

Video showed that shot appeared good!!

Plenty of blood in the corn, and we found the big buck just on edge of timber.

What a day. We were done by 4:00.

Really fun hunt, in a very good area.

Heading back a bit early!!

Last edited:
image.jpg Busted up 9

Long and hard drag with cart image.jpg

Big 10image.jpg

Big body and rackimage.jpg

Congrats on the hunt. How do you like the cart? Myself I use one of those plastic sleds you wrap the deer in and it works great.

Congrats to you and your buddy. Two dandy bucks.

It's fun to have a place like that to fall back on later in the year. Congrats!

Wow, congrats Bwood.

Congrats on the hunt. How do you like the cart? Myself I use one of those plastic sleds you wrap the deer in and it works great.

First time I tried it? Works ok

It was in garage (left by former owner)

Very Nice deer Congrats. I have thought about buying a Grand Lodge for my deer camp instead of a camper or 5th wheel. I figured the lodge wood be built for late season deer hunting while campers arn't. Looks great!

I only have a point but Iowa is in my future.

Congrats....and great pics!

Nice Bucks! Congrats!

Nice buck Bwoods ...

Way to go, Bwoods!

How fun to both tag mature bucks! Good shooting

Very Nice deer Congrats. I have thought about buying a Grand Lodge for my deer camp instead of a camper or 5th wheel. I figured the lodge wood be built for late season deer hunting while campers arn't. Looks great!

I only have a point but Iowa is in my future.
e

Grand Lodge---I have an 8 x 16 and my friend has the 8 x 20 in the above picture. They are built in South Dakota and from what I have heard they are built extremely well. We like the houses a lot!

Great for a hunting camp, and they are of course, good for ice fishing.