All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heading to Iowa

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
Shotgun season starts on Saturday and we will be in the stand ready to roll. We have a 120 acre parcel and a neighbors 80 that allows me to hunt. At least half timber and wooded draws/creek bottom, tucked away tillable fields. Plus a possible bonus (maybe a detriment) is the farmer did not get 30 acres of standing corn out because it was too wet.

We will see how that plays out. I expect to see 20+ deer per day, it is a prime area and prime habitat. If it is not a nicer buck--looking for that 140 inch class--It will get a pass... (I've broken my rule on that a couple times on the last day of the hunt:)).

I will keep you posted. If I come back home empty handed that is fine too, beer will be cold and we are staying in a Grand Lodge fish house that is more than comfy. We also have two doe tags, which we should be able to fill.

Good luck!

Good Luck Kurt! Keep us posted! It has been slow here in Northern Missouri the last 2 days!

Good luck, the weather looks like it will be good for you.

Good Luck Kurt! Keep us posted! It has been slow here in Northern Missouri the last 2 days!

Could be a bit slower due to mild weather, one thing about Iowa is they do push deer on the neighboring farms. We just wait and let them come to us!!

Good luck, Kirt.

In central Mn. we would have at least 8 doe permits per hunter with deer numbers like that!

hope you tag a big one! Whats your management goals for this farm. You holding out for a giant or shooting for a good mature buck? just curious

Good luck. We expect pictures of the results.

hope you tag a big one! Whats your management goals for this farm. You holding out for a giant or shooting for a good mature buck? just curious

3/4 year old bucks or older

We have some funky rack bucks or management bucks that we target if they show themselves.

I'll post some game camera pics tomorrow after I check cameras. Get a feel for what's out there!

Thanks guys!!

Shotgun season starts on Saturday and we will be in the stand ready to roll. We have a 120 acre parcel and a neighbors 80 that allows me to hunt. At least half timber and wooded draws/creek bottom, tucked away tillable fields. Plus a possible bonus (maybe a detriment) is the farmer did not get 30 acres of standing corn out because it was too wet.

We will see how that plays out. I expect to see 20+ deer per day, it is a prime area and prime habitat. If it is not a nicer buck--looking for that 140 inch class--It will get a pass... (I've broken my rule on that a couple times on the last day of the hunt:)).

I will keep you posted. If I come back home empty handed that is fine too, beer will be cold and we are staying in a Grand Lodge fish house that is more than comfy. We also have two doe tags, which we should be able to fill.

You have raised our expectations about how much bigger they are down there ... no pressure ... but lets see some evidence ... :D

You have raised our expectations about how much bigger they are down there ... no pressure ... but lets see some evidence ... :D

Thats not a fair use of this space.

Enjoy the hunt!

Are you an iowa resident? What county you in? Having hunted a quality Iowa farm, has changed my entire perspective on what good hunting is. Enjoy, and gives us something to drool about.

Are you an iowa resident? What county you in? Having hunted a quality Iowa farm, has changed my entire perspective on what good hunting is. Enjoy, and gives us something to drool about.

No I'm from MN

Warren County...very good county. Several big non typical bucks shot within 10 miles of my farm in the last 3 years. 190-240 inches that are jaw dropping!

Good luck Bwoods!

Good luck. Looking forward to the reports.

Good luck down in the "Banana Belt"......gonna be watching for pics.

Hey guys

We had a great hunt!! My friend and I each shot a mature buck!!

I will post pictures when we get back. I saw between 35-40 deer.

So fun!!

Can't wait to see them! Congrats!

Hey guys

We had a great hunt!! My friend and I each shot a mature buck!!

I will post pictures when we get back. I saw between 35-40 deer.

So fun!!
Looking forward to the pictures, again congrats!

I can't imagine seeing 35-40 deer a night and more than one decent buck at a time.