Hazelnut transplants

KDdid

5 year old buck +
Back in March I planted a dozen hazelnut starts taken from the edges of a naturally seeded clump along my creek bank. Each one was a shoot from the mother clump, and they all had some roots, although they were small. Looks like they’re all leafed out, and some of them are doing quite well.
169ba06f9cffa826864720d49aee390a.jpg
4429b9df63be59b2119f4fffedd483b3.jpg

This one is over 7 feet tall, and had one of the best root systems of the batch.
71c7eeb441cc3325c637499ee0e0c90d.jpg

I also had 21 hazelnuts from gathered nuts that I stratified over the winter in some potting soil. I transferred them to peat pots yesterday, and will grow them in either grow bags or plastic pots, and plant them among these others in the fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
38eea47550fe585dc0e6ac3b8cd93a7c.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!

I plan on doing the same once mine start throwing shoots....hazelnuts are one of my favorites to plant, there is almost no downside they grow easy and wildlife love them.

Very nice!

I plan on doing the same once mine start throwing shoots....hazelnuts are one of my favorites to plant, there is almost no downside they grow easy and wildlife love them.

Yep, I’m hoping to do some layering with mine in the coming years.

Looking good. I found a new hazelnut grove on my place Saturday and marked them with ribbons. I will do some transplanting this winter.

Pretty cool! I'd like to get some planted next year. I don't think I have any on my ground, so I'll have to order them. Looks like yours are quite happy!

Wow! that is great growth!

I just planted some HN last week as we have none on my property. Not knowing for sure if deer would browse it, I tubed mine. It would be nice if it would grow here without tubing it. If I get growth like that I could pull the tubes early on.

I planted some 3 years ago, caged some, didn't others. The ones with cages have done well so far, the ones without were eaten within a few days of planting. Not sure if it was deer or some other creature, but something found them tasty. Probably good you protected yours.

Wow! that is great growth!

I just planted some HN last week as we have none on my property. Not knowing for sure if deer would browse it, I tubed mine. It would be nice if it would grow here without tubing it. If I get growth like that I could pull the tubes early on.

I planted some 3 years ago, caged some, didn't others. The ones with cages have done well so far, the ones without were eaten within a few days of planting. Not sure if it was deer or some other creature, but something found them tasty. Probably good you protected yours.

Thanks Victor Van Meter. When they grow up out of the tubes I will cage them.

No problem.

I've got two varieties. American Hazelnut throws a tiny little nut...tasty but tiny...I'm not real interested in propagating these. I've got some European Hazelnuts in the ground - this is year two - they're supposed to throw the larger "commercial" type nut. I guess once this proves out I too will try for some layering. Fun fact, the hazels in the sun throw nuts...the hazels in the shade do not...they are probably 6 maybe 7 years old.

Noticed I framed an American Hazelnut on the left in this pic - All caged up. This one throws a lot of nutsC7BF4B61-8DBF-43AB-B904-9AA059857BFF.jpeg

901d8ad82ce78e61fe5e29a35c6003c6.jpg

I mentioned somewhere on here that I planted hazel nuts, also. The first few are starting to pop in their drainage tile tubes.

9716272861bec19c766b273c3265b913.jpg

I’m surprised how quickly the direct seeded ones are taking off.