Hazelberts

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Anybody growing any of these??? A cross between a hazelnut and a filbert, they are suppose to be hardy to zone 3. I got 5 plants from SLN in 2012 and they are bearing some nuts this year.
Two of the bushes.
015_zpskdk74yan.jpg

Their starting to drop now.
018_zpsvv5be4vi.jpg

022_zpsc2prrfun.jpg

I haven't noticed anyone mentioning them before, but they seem to be a pretty good grower and quick producer of nuts.

Yours are looking great. I planted 20 from SNL this spring. I have a few nuts on them this year already, and see the caulkin for a bunch next year. I would say 1/3 have started to send up multiple leaders. More importantly I do not have them caged and not one has been browsed yet. I think it is another example of my deer not eating something new, just like they won't eat beans or peas. I planted them for a screen across the back of my orchard and an open spot in the front. Like everything else I plant I will withhold judgement until they make it through a winter. I probably should stake them up or they will be flat under the snow. How much of that growth is from their second year? Mine still look more like a tree.

I'd say mine really started to put out a lot of new growth last year.

That is awesome. I have mine tucked against the woodbine, up against some huge pines. They probably get 6 hours of direct sun. The ones up front are full sun but only doing slightly better. I think they could be a huge draw if they make it. I don't have squirrels so they should all go to the deer if they make it.

I got some hybrid hazel seed coming this fall and hope to have a good patch going in a couple years. Yours look good, it's nice to get nuts in 3 years.

I have LOTS of natural hazel. Are these hazelberts a better quality / more desirable nut?

It's hard to know how well the hazels are consumed or desired by deer. I know they eat some of them....but never see much evidence of the hazel being browsed.

I have LOTS of natural hazel. Are these hazelberts a better quality / more desirable nut?

It's hard to know how well the hazels are consumed or desired by deer. I know they eat some of them....but never see much evidence of the hazel being browsed.
If I remember right it does have a more desirable nut. Google tells me a zone 3 shrub with large delicious nuts.