Have you built a herbicide wick applicator?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I need to buy or build a wick applicator to kill some JOHNSON grass. I don't want to kill everything around it, but it is getting out of control. It isn't in my plots, but it is in some areas that are open and my become plots. I want to wipe it out without killing everything.
Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought mine from Rodgers years ago. http://rodgersinc.com/ It works well on clover with taller problematic weeds. Mine is a large one I attach to my FEL. They make different sizes.

I bought mine from Rodgers years ago. http://rodgersinc.com/ It works well on clover with taller problematic weeds. Mine is a large one I attach to my FEL. They make different sizes.

How wide is yours. That looks like a good place to order one or a kit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think mine is a 10' bar. When filled it had too much bend in it for my taste. I used plumbing straps to strap it to a 10' 2x6 and then devised a rig to attach the board to my FEL bracket. This keeps it stiff. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to buy the connector kit from them and save the shipping on the pipe.

I don't use mine much any more. That is only because I've become very tolerant of weeds in my clover. I have lots of clover. Weeds are only an issue for me in the summer and many of the broadleaf weeds are great deer food. My deer are generally focused on my soybeans in the summer. I mow once in the spring and once in the fall and the clover bounces back when the weather favors it over summer weeds.

I still use it if I have a particularly problematic weed in clover. Since the herbicide does not make contact with the clover, you can use high concentrations of harsher chemicals without much application to clover or the ground. This can also minimize issues with time before planting some herbicides have.

Thanks,

Jack

Looks easy enough to build one (for cheaper).

Looks easy enough to build one (for cheaper).

Yep. If you have the time and can find the connectors is certainly would not be hard to build. Rodgers is the only place I've found the connectors but you may find them elsewhere. I think the main reason they sell the kits is so you don't have the shipping cost for the large PVC pipe.