Has/Does anyone use seed from the "Big Name Brands"?

My first year of establishing plots and property ownership I knew very little. I bought a couple 23# bags of whitetail extreme that were mismarked at cabelas. I lightly disked a killed off brome field and broadcast and packed with a drag harrow.

It was an incredible plot for 3 years and deer were always in it. 4th year it basically was about shot. I had learned a bit via the old forums and changed some things around as far as locations and kinds of plots and purpose.

If I only had buck on a bag choice, I would go with that again in a heartbeat regardless the cost. However via the education I've received through the various forums, I now buy generic seeds, mix my own and plant.

My soil is heavy clay and I generally get enough precipitation for successful germination and growth. I try to fertilize every 5 years according to soil tests. This year is the year to fertilize however thats not going to happen until prices go down.

I use name brand stuff from time to time but also use the local seed store when I can. The thing I don’t like about name brand is it always seems they are on the light side for seed rates. It may be seed rates for drilling and most food plotters are broadcasting seed so it can be misleading
Holy crap!
I forgot about that!
We always use higher seed rates per acre when doing T&M. I bought only enough to follow the package. I better double that.

What is wrong with rye grass?
It is highly debatable. It seems that it has been used a lot in hay fields down south. One problem that many people state is that it can become invasive and once it does, it is almost impossible to get rid of. Some say to use it in areas where nothing else will grow, but not in your food plots. Many people say that it is not a preferred forage and if your deer are hitting it, it's a sign that they are lacking in quality/quantity of better forage. Idk others say their deer prefer it and it has good nutritional value.The problem I have is with the BOB selling a 3lb bag for $20 that is mostly rye grass. I feel like they are taking advantage/ tricking plotters by selling a cheap,(.40 #) non preferred seed, then making them feel good that their plot grew and is green. I have not seen anybody on any sites recommend large food plots of rye grass. I believe that there must be reasons for it. I'm going to stick with winter rye or winter grass. Winter rye will grow almost anywhere too and have never heard anything negative about it.

Good one Pat!
You know. I laugh about it but the biggest buck I've ever seen came in to the poorest food plot I've ever done with a BOB mix. Didn't have a clue as to how to do anything. Rototilled it up when after it had rained multiple inches. It was nothing but a muddy mess. Never sprayed the grass prior to planting so it just came back up. But low and behold I get pics of this buck right before archery season. I only saw him once. On a Sunday going in to check trail cameras. He was bedded 20 yds off the driveway.

I__00029.JPG

I have used some BOB seeds from a few different suppliers - mainly 20-25 years ago. I find I can mix my own for way less money and I get just as good results so it is a no-brainer for me. I buy bulk seed and mix up what I want with no unwanted fillers. I buy different varieties of brassicas and clovers and "roll my own". I always mix at least 3-5 different varieties of clovers when mixing clover.

IMG_5910.jpg

I did buy 6# of Winfred Forage Brassica from Merit seed last year as I could not find it locally.

IMG_6001.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

My own brassica mix and my own clover mix...

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_6575.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

I bought some 19-19-19 fertilizer this year for my fruit trees and my lawn. My no-till and cover crop practices have created healthy soils so I don't need to apply any synthetic fertilizers - hopefully, ever again.

IMG_7441.jpg

If I thought the BOB seeds were much better or much cheaper than what I can buy in bulk and mix on my own I would probably use them....but I don't think either is true.

I can see the value of BOB seed for new or maybe inexperienced food plotters or those planting only very small plots, but as mentioned by the OP, most of those who have been doing this for a while probably prefer to roll their own.

Last edited:
I have used some BOB seeds from a few different suppliers - mainly 20-25 years ago. I find I can mix my own for way less money and I get just as good results so it is a no-brainer for me. I buy bulk seed and mix up what I want with no unwanted fillers. I buy different varieties of brassicas and clovers and "roll my own". I always mix at least 3-5 different varieties of clovers when mixing clover.

View attachment 40999

I did buy 6# of Winfred Forage Brassica from Merit seed last year as I could not find it locally.

View attachment 41000

View attachment 41001

View attachment 41002

View attachment 41003

View attachment 41004

View attachment 41005

View attachment 41007

View attachment 41008

I bought some 19-19-19 fertilizer this year for my fruit trees and my lawn. My no-till and cover crop practices have created healthy soils so I don't need to apply any synthetic fertilizers - hopefully, ever again.

View attachment 41006

If I thought the BOB seeds were much better or much cheaper than what I can buy in bulk and mix on my own I would probably use them....but I don't think either is true.

I can see the value of BOB seed for new or maybe inexperienced food plotters or those planting only very small plots, but as mentioned by the OP, most of those who have been doing this for a while probably prefer to roll their own.
Plots look fantastic!

I haven't used BOB seed in many years but admittedly my best brassicas plots were BOB. I've been wondering for the past couple years if the "cultivated" BOB seeds gave me a bit of an edge on my poor soils vs PTT from the local co-op.

Are you talking about rye grass or rye grain? I love rye grain but rye grass doesn't do much for attracting deer and it can be really tough to get rid of. I see later on you said you use in it hay fields, which I don't know much about hay fields but using rye grass for that makes sense.
Good point I missed it and assumed he was talking winter rye.

Rye grass is cheap filler for lawn seeds, winter rye is a cheap filler for food plot seeds.

Nothing overly wrong with winter rye, I will blend it in sometimes with my winter wheat. If I can get it super cheap I use it as a cover for clovers and what not else... Though If I had a bag of winter rye and a bag of winter wheat and only could grab one I would always choose the wheat.

and... yes wildthing I think you have it down... plots look beyond fantastic !

View attachment 40999

View attachment 41000

View attachment 41001

View attachment 41002

View attachment 41003

View attachment 41004

View attachment 41005

View attachment 41007

View attachment 41008

View attachment 41006

Looks like a good report card!

Well done!

bill