handgun rounds for deer

N

non-pro-archer

We have the thread for rifles, just wondering if there's anyone shooting deer with a handgun and what caliber you use?

300BLK in an AR pistol - if I ever did handgun hunt deer with my current line up.

.357 mag would be the smallest wheel gun I'd use, and .44 special or mag would be better yet.

10mm in an auto loader would be a good round too.

Back when Remington made the bolt action XP-100 pistol, one of the rounds they chambered was 35 Remington. I bought one of those guns used, put a 4X Leupold pistol scope on it and went to handloading. I had read in an gun magazine that some of the hand cannons were as accurate or more accurate than the average factory rifle. I didn't believe the article, but quickly found out that it was true. With a 150 grain bullet, I soon had a load that would put 3 shots in 1/2 inch at 100 yards off of sandbags. But, with the short barrels, even if a pistol is very accurate, you will be limited in range compared to shooting a rifle.

I never took it hunting, but it would have been an excellent deer round for a handgun. I've kicked myself 100 times for selling the gun - not because I needed it, but because it was such a novelty, and I didn't have a lot tied up in it.

Thompson has made a lot of different big bore calibers for their Contender Pistols, and I've been told that they are very accurate as well. If I were serious about buying a pistol to deer hunt with, that is what I would check in to.

Right now I sometimes carry my 357 mag Smith revolver and wouldn't be afraid to take a 40 yard shot with it, but it wouldn't compare to a nice Contender or XP 100.

Thompson's Contender pistols are available in all sorts of rifle calibers. Very accurate guns! I just don't have much love for a single shot hand cannon.

For a time I owned a TC Contender with a 7x30 Waters chamber in a 14" BBL. I also had a 223 Rem BBL the same length. Mine was all stainless and I had 2 LER Scopes mounted on the barrels. I think the 7Waters cartridge is / was a good one. I really screwed up on this gun tho.

I ordered both barrels ported.......and nearly blew my ears out on a few occasions while hunting coyotes. I got rid of the gun and all accessories (via GunBroker.com) before doing more damage to my hearing. I won't own another gun with a muzzle brake.

For a time I owned a TC Contender with a 7x30 Waters chamber in a 14" BBL. I also had a 223 Rem BBL the same length. Mine was all stainless and I had 2 LER Scopes mounted on the barrels. I think the 7Waters cartridge is / was a good one. I really screwed up on this gun tho.

I ordered both barrels ported.......and nearly blew my ears out on a few occasions while hunting coyotes. I got rid of the gun and all accessories (via GunBroker.com) before doing more damage to my hearing. I won't own another gun with a muzzle brake.

I will go ahead and tell the embarrassing part of my hand cannon story. It might save someone else from making the same mistake.

When I was loading for that beast and trying to squeeze as much accuracy out of it as possible, I decided that gripping it lighter would help. Well I gripped it lightly, and it rolled off the back of my hand, smacked me on the forehead, and landed neatly across my lap just like you laid it down there.

I set there for a few seconds, looked around to make sure no one saw what happened, picked it up and held it from then on like I was choking a burglar. Half inch groups seemed good enough after that.:)

I own a couple of Ruger revolvers that are chambered in 357 Mag. Mostly I plink steel with them. I'm finally getting proficient enough with a handgun where I might have enough confidence to shoot at a deer. I feel if I hunted with a revolver....THAT is likely when I'd see a buck-of-a-lifetime.....and wish I had a laser guided howitzer.

I use a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag with a 2x pistol scope. I like to take it once and a while as a change up. I think it weighs as much as a shotgun! I've shot several deer with it and feel confident out to 75 yards. I gained far better accuracy once I got the trigger pull down to 3 pounds. I think it was like 8 from the factory.

I have taken two bucks with a 6" Colt Python chambered in .357 magnum. I have taken four bucks with a Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Mag.
I don't own either of them any more and hunt exclusively with archery equipment now.

I was thinking about a smith and Wesson xvr in .460