Hairy or chickling vetch - deer food?

I find they do eat it but it’s also a great N source to help cycle my higher carbon crops.

Have a highly diverse mix 16 species so I am at like 40-50% grains, 5-7% brassicas, 5-8% clovers, some BW, etc.

These mixes do amazing in fall but hop out of ground in Spring.
Thanks for this info. By "hopping out of the ground in the spring" ....... I take it you mean it takes off and grows well?? Just clarifying!!

Haha. That is trickier. Seed ranch and seed barn have it. Hancock says they will have later in the spring. I went ahead and bought 50 and might. I another 50. Doing something we will see if it works.

Using new igrowth sorghum amd Clearfield sunflowers as companion crop. Then planting 10/10 of deer vetch and Alyce clover. Will spray glyphosate and 4-6 ounces of imazamox at planting. All these plants should do well with that sprayed pre plant or shortly post.
I had looked at Seed Ranch and Hancock. Also found some at Seed World. Thanks for letting me know Hancock will have it later, all I found was that they are out of stock.

I was thinking of planting some mixed with Sunn Hemp. What's your thoughts on that combo; 20lbs per acre of Joint Vetch and 1 pound Sunn Hemp.

I had looked at Seed Ranch and Hancock. Also found some at Seed World. Thanks for letting me know Hancock will have it later, all I found was that they are out of stock.

I was thinking of planting some mixed with Sunn Hemp. What's your thoughts on that combo; 20lbs per acre of Joint Vetch and 1 pound Sunn Hemp.
Man I love Sunn hemp. I think it will do great.

I think I’ve gotten so into this regenerative ag thing I like to plant plants of different types (grass, legume, etc). But there is nothing wrong with planting those two together.

The two I see mentioned the most are to plant with alyceclover and/or cowpeas.

I would go a touch higher with sun hemp if was me. Up to 5lbs/acre. You don’t want to crowd out the deer vetch, but I like having enough of the other you know it is there. Im doing 3 and 2 pounds of the sorghum and sunflowers with my deer vetch/Alyce clover.

I’m pretty sure all of those are the same company. No inside info but they seem to have slot of same pics. Seed ranch. Seed barn. Seed world.

Thanks for this info. By "hopping out of the ground in the spring" ....... I take it you mean it takes off and grows well?? Just clarifying!!

Yes those pics i posted were fall planted crops - in the spring.

Below is that plot looked like the fall before -
0859F357-47D9-420A-87DF-AE7C4CB6F8D3.jpeg
8D81C883-E923-4EFC-A8A4-2908DB032558.jpeg

I think I’ve gotten so into this regenerative ag thing I like to plant plants of different types (grass, legume, etc). But there is nothing wrong with planting those two together.

I would go a touch higher with sun hemp if was me. Up to 5lbs/acre. You don’t want to crowd out the deer vetch, but I like having enough of the other you know it is there. Im doing 3 and 2 pounds of the sorghum and sunflowers with my deer vetch/Alyce clover.

I left out the rest of my list. It'll also have sunflowers, proso millet, ragweed, and milo in with the hemp and vetch. Maybe some ladino clover too since I have some left over.

Thanks for the heads-up on the sources. It makes sense that they are all the same.

I left out the rest of my list. It'll also have sunflowers, proso millet, ragweed, and milo in with the hemp and vetch. Maybe some ladino clover too since I have some left over.

Thanks for the heads-up on the sources. It makes sense that they are all the same.
No problem. I try to buy local they just don’t have a lot of the specialty stuff. I’ve had good luck with southeast Agriseed. A rep will call you but they always are happy to help a hobby farmer like me, some of the bigger places not so much. Had pretty good luck with a place called sustain + soil too.

I almost always plant a diverse mix of 8-10 things. With this deer/joint vetch I’m gonna try to get a dense stand and see if it will reseed. It’s a bit expensive for me to just add to the mix!

Good luck.

Haha. That is trickier. Seed ranch and seed barn have it. Hancock says they will have later in the spring. I went ahead and bought 50 and might. I another 50. Doing something we will see if it works.

Using new igrowth sorghum amd Clearfield sunflowers as companion crop. Then planting 10/10 of deer vetch and Alyce clover. Will spray glyphosate and 4-6 ounces of imazamox at planting. All these plants should do well with that sprayed pre plant or shortly post.
I’ve spring planted the same mix a few times with great results, you will love it.

Yes those pics i posted were fall planted crops - in the spring.

Below is that plot looked like the fall before -
NICE!!! Plot mix looks great. Thanks for posting the pics and info.

No problem. I try to buy local they just don’t have a lot of the specialty stuff. I’ve had good luck with southeast Agriseed. A rep will call you but they always are happy to help a hobby farmer like me, some of the bigger places not so much. Had pretty good luck with a place called sustain + soil too.

I almost always plant a diverse mix of 8-10 things. With this deer/joint vetch I’m gonna try to get a dense stand and see if it will reseed. It’s a bit expensive for me to just add to the mix!

Good luck.
Exactly what I'm doing! I want a thick stand of deer/joint vetch that may stick around a few yrs. I'm so set on diverse plantings that I can't not do it. But that's why I'm going low on the sunn hemp and other stuff poundage. Want some of it in there but expect it to eventually get drowned out.