Hairy or chickling vetch - deer food?

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
I've read of some guys planting either hairy or chickling vetch as part of a food plot mix. I know they fix N, but are they also attractive to deer?? Anyone have experience with the vetches??

I've read of some guys planting either hairy or chickling vetch as part of a food plot mix. I know they fix N, but are they also attractive to deer?? Anyone have experience with the vetches??
I plant hairy vetch on all my roads. Grows well and the N thing, but I really don’t see deer eating it. I think of as soul builder and biomass.

Now deer vetch in summer. The small amount I have done they love. I’m gonna listen to Baker and plant a bunch this spring.

I've had good experience with hairy vetch. However, at camp there isn't much non-woody browse for them to enjoy.

Hairy vetch goes good in sandy soils too.

You have to plant it in the spring to make it go to seed. IT does grow well in the fall, but didnt come back for me.

I like them. Hairy vetch imo is best in fall mixes and typically over winters well. If using in spring consider American joint.

I like them. Hairy vetch imo is best in fall mixes and typically over winters well. If using in spring consider American joint.
Might of overwintered, but I had 2 issues. IT was my first time converting a brushed up trail to a grassy area. Had some pH and nutrient issues I corrected for the 1st time. I planed it in zone 3B mid august on the tail end of a drought run. Think up there you need a decent rain year and plant it end of july.

Might redo the snowmobile trail plot this summer. I have a few bags of wheat. I got a big sedge problem in that area, Picked up some basagram and will apply it early and mid summer.

I got a central area about 150 yards and 30-40ft wide with a 1/8th acrea plot on the side of it, that will be wheat and clover with peas added on the sides of the trail. However, there is about 200 yards on each end of this area where the sedge can start creeping back. I'll likely redo that with rye, vetch, clover, and maybe english plantain and crabgrass. I usually Collect the seeds from my home for the camp parking lot and lawn area, but might just buy the seed. There is some commercial seed folks selling these for specialty forage in drought prone areas down south.

Last edited:
Now deer vetch in summer. The small amount I have done they love. I’m gonna listen to Baker and plant a bunch this spring.
What's "deer vetch" ?? Is it a good plant in zones 5 & 6??

I've had hairy vetch for a few years now. I like it a lot, but I wouldn't put it in a food plot. The only reason I say that is because it makes my other vegetation lodge late summer, it's a pain to mow with vines and snot everywhere, and it can be a tad bit aggressive.

I would absolutely plant it everywhere else the sun hits the ground. Outstanding flower maker, and anything pumping N and carbon into the soil along side other things that use N is a good thing.

I just read some material from Penn State, and several other AG sites. The advice for planting hairy or chickling vetch is to DRILL it in, and the words "do not broadcast" were posted. So I guess either vetch is a no-go for us. Some guys say their deer don't eat it - more of a N-fixer.

Some of the sites I read info from say vetch should be sprayed with a combo of gly, 2-4D and dicamba to kill it. Too much $$$, labor and extra steps for the volunteerism of our camp members. Hard to get help.

55627F35-8C75-449D-A8F0-EE91FE62087D.jpeg
I’ve used it it mixes for years. This was planted in fall and this is next spring. I’ve never had issue with terminating. USDA studies show 85%-90% termination with a flail mower or better. That’s interesting about the variation in feedback from
Universities.

It would grow there for sure. Go to seed and reseed…I don’t know.
The vetch that Rusty is talking about in the video is Aeschynomene americana. Vetches can be goofy as there a lot of varieties and a lot of common names. Sometimes they are used interchangeably. I think I've heard Aeschynomene called Joint vetch, Deer vetch, and American vetch.

The vetch that Rusty is talking about in the video is Aeschynomene americana. Vetches can be goofy as there a lot of varieties and a lot of common names. Sometimes they are used interchangeably. I think I've heard Aeschynomene called Joint vetch, Deer vetch, and American vetch.

Yes. More known as a summer time annual vs. hairy (especially in south) is more a winter time annual (can be planted as both in Midwest and Northern states).

I’ve used it it mixes for years. This was planted in fall and this is next spring. I’ve never had issue with terminating. USDA studies show 85%-90% termination with a flail mower or better. That’s interesting about the variation in feedback from
Universities.
Do deer EAT the vetch in your plot mix?? The plot looks great!! What proportions of each seed did you use to get such a nice plot??

Who's your favorite to buy it from? Anyone done some legwork to find the best deals?

Do deer EAT the vetch in your plot mix?? The plot looks great!! What proportions of each seed did you use to get such a nice plot??

I find they do eat it but it’s also a great N source to help cycle my higher carbon crops.

Have a highly diverse mix 16 species so I am at like 40-50% grains, 5-7% brassicas, 5-8% clovers, some BW, etc.

These mixes do amazing in fall but hop out of ground in Spring.

Last night on my farm 397FE1A0-8D78-4AF8-893D-4F1E22A33D45.jpegFE7FBE35-5378-4CE0-ADAC-0B0E21CBB388.jpeg

Yeah. I thought that I mentioned that in an earlier post. Thanks for the clarification.

Who's your favorite to buy it from? Anyone done some legwork to find the best deals?
I buy au merit from southeast Agriseed

I use petcher seed too. Great guy out of auburn university. Their stuff is not inoculated, and doesn’t have coatings, so that is either good or bad depending on how you like your seed. He also tend to only have stuff seasonally. Generally a really good price.

I buy au merit from southeast Agriseed

Thanks for the link. I was asking about Aeschynomene americana vetch specifically. Is Au-Merit Joint vetch or Hairy?

Thanks for the link. I was asking about Aeschynomene americana vetch specifically. Is Au-Merit Joint vetch or Hairy?
Haha. That is trickier. Seed ranch and seed barn have it. Hancock says they will have later in the spring. I went ahead and bought 50 and might. I another 50. Doing something we will see if it works.

Using new igrowth sorghum amd Clearfield sunflowers as companion crop. Then planting 10/10 of deer vetch and Alyce clover. Will spray glyphosate and 4-6 ounces of imazamox at planting. All these plants should do well with that sprayed pre plant or shortly post.