Hack N Squirt

mglenn005

5 year old buck +
Can I use roundup for hack n squirt or do I need to use a brush killer. Trees are mostly small hardwoods (popular, sweet gum, small oaks, cherry, ask) along a road. The leaves in the fall are filling up ditches and washing the road away. We installed waterbars this summer to help with water erosion management but I was thinking of more preventative action.

Any other thoughts / recommendations are welcome.

Straight gly will work. Some mix a 50/50 ratio of gly and diesel fuel, some other use a product called tordon as well.

Remember that removing those trees will also kill their root systems that are actively holding the soil you have now in place. Get that area seeded with some ground cover as soon as you can after spraying with gly to keep the erosion from continuing further. Cut it, spray it, and come back immediately and seed it with something. Maybe not a great choice for plotting, but perennial ryegrass(not cereal rye we use in plots) will work for this application.

Glyphsate will work great....20 % concentration and up

Remember that removing those trees will also kill their root systems that are actively holding the soil you have now in place. Get that area seeded with some ground cover as soon as you can after spraying with gly to keep the erosion from continuing further. Cut it, spray it, and come back immediately and seed it with something. Maybe not a great choice for plotting, but perennial ryegrass(not cereal rye we use in plots) will work for this application.

Definitely. I'm not like some folks who hate ryegrass. I like whatever can grow and hold soil together. Now, I don't like it in plots but in areas where I need roots, fescue and ryegrass are staples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20% in water will work on just about everything

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

TORDON is what I use to treat the stumps of box elder and black locust that I cut on my land. It will translocate through the root system and kill other locusts or box elders that are connected to the root system of the target tree. When cutting black locusts, I saw this in person. A smaller locust that had been overlooked was dead as could be from the treating of a stump about 15 feet away. Just put the Tordon on the outer ring of the stump, the cambium layer and you will get the desired results. I bought a quart of Tordon for $12 from my chemical supply place this summer with no sales tax as I have a farm use sales tax exemption.

TORDON is what I use to treat the stumps of box elder and black locust that I cut on my land. It will translocate through the root system and kill other locusts or box elders that are connected to the root system of the target tree. When cutting black locusts, I saw this in person. A smaller locust that had been overlooked was dead as could be from the treating of a stump about 15 feet away. Just put the Tordon on the outer ring of the stump, the cambium layer and you will get the desired results. I bought a quart of Tordon for $12 from my chemical supply place this summer with no sales tax as I have a farm use sales tax exemption.

Gordon works great but don't forget that it can effect non-target trees. When something I want to kill is growing anywhere near a desirable shrub or tree, I stay with a strong gly solution.

The cut and squirt with roundup has worked really well for me, you just need to squirt within a couple minutes before the stub starts to weep or it won't work. I take out a LOT of honey locust this way.
For the no cut method I have found crossbow will nock out just about anything you want dead that has bark.

As part of my ongoing 20+ year black locust eradication effort I has some topically sprayed this summer by two friends who do it professionally. I believe they used "milestone" and it was highly effective. The targeted trees were brown and dead within one week after spraying. No good trees were killed by mistake. Milestone is a very expensive chemical to buy and I believe you need a chemical applicators license to buy it in WI. When I looked into it, it would have cost me $125 a quart. I do not know the mixing ratio, so that amount might mix into hundreds of gallons of water
I agree that Tordon can affect trees that were not intended to be killed. My experience with black locust has been that there are not a lot of other good trees growing in the same area as the black locust. I have used Tordon and not killed any good trees by mistake.