Habitat-Talks September trail cam contest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heres an interesting pic. Picture is a little odd, but the antlers go straight forward from its head and are more than just a spike. Optical illusion that it’s growing out of its ear. The odd part, see the spots on its back, it’s a fawn. Must have been an early drop

View attachment 46254
I've seen 1.5 year olds appear to have spots too. It seems like they will have them show when transitioning to their winter coats.

I've seen 1.5 year olds appear to have spots too. It seems like they will have them show when transitioning to their winter coats.
Maybe that’s it. Head shape and body seems a little too big for a fawn.

Not trying to stir the pot any, but that looks like it could be a coon. Most coyote pups are much bigger than that already.
Had better pic, but not downloaded to phone to post. If a coon, it'd be running for it's life on in yote's mouth, I would think.

My apologies, color and size just didnt look like it was a coyote in my eye. I have had coons and coyotes in the same photo before. Lot easier meal in this area of the world for a coyote than trying to grab a healthy coon. I have never had a coon killed by a coyote when coyote trapping, coons are a pretty common "non-target" catches when coyote trapping here. If a live coon with a foot in a trap isnt bothered by coyotes, guessing the free ranging on all 4s get a pass as well.

I feel you deer!! LOL Man the Beggar Lice have been terrible this year. Dont ever get that stuff into fleece fabric!
I got rid of all my fleece for this exact reason!

My apologies, color and size just didnt look like it was a coyote in my eye. I have had coons and coyotes in the same photo before. Lot easier meal in this area of the world for a coyote than trying to grab a healthy coon. I have never had a coon killed by a coyote when coyote trapping, coons are a pretty common "non-target" catches when coyote trapping here. If a live coon with a foot in a trap isnt bothered by coyotes, guessing the free ranging on all 4s get a pass as well.
I agree - pretty common to read or hear someone say coyotes kill coons. Maybe on extremely rare occasion. I have caught hundreds - maybe over 1000 coons - and cant remember a single one that looked like it had been killed in a trap. Coyotes wont even eat the dead coons I throw in the bone yard

We're hijacking the thread now, but...

I think it's rare, but - five coons in the pics before this one, feeding for a while.
IMAG0736.JPG

Didn't get a pic with a dead coon in a coyote's mouth, but about 30 minutes later, four coons came back and stayed another 30 minutes.
IMAG0739.JPG

Certainly not conclusive evidence, but I don't rule out yotes eating an occasional coon. I wish they would eat more of them though.

I've gotten other pics with yotes and coons in the same frame, seemingly getting along, so maybe the one above was just having a bad day.

Status
Not open for further replies.