Habitat plans that produced

B

bat man

Above is a quick video of some habitat improvements we did last year as part of a plan to help dictate where does would bed, and where the bucks would cruise to check those bedding areas. We saw this buck twice in 4 hunts, and he went by the script. He was in the top 10% of bucks we had on camera this fall.

This stand produced shot opportunities on 3 bucks in the 4 hours I sat it this fall, 3.20 pm, 4.10 pm, and it is where Arcus killed his first buck with a half hour of shooting light left. The spot can be hunted with deer on the food early season and late season, as well as during the rut when my bucks rarely enter the plots during daylight.

Hopefully we can get more of these scenarios that have worked for guys for different scenarios to learn form each others mistakes and triumphs.

That's pretty cool. How big were each of those doe bedding areas you made? Did you just hinge cut some junk trees in there?

love it when a good plan comes together! congrats on a great buck!

That is pretty cool..very good demonstration...I would love to see more of this type thing in the future. What software did you use to make your drawings on the aerial and have notes when hovered the mouse over them?

That's pretty cool. How big were each of those doe bedding areas you made? Did you just hinge cut some junk trees in there?

Hinges were about 40 or 50 yards across give or take. We knocked down the big trees first and then dropped smaller ones on top so it was open underneath for deer to walk and bed. We cut what was needed to make it work. Couple oaks here and there won't make or break the deal for me. Need the light in to thicken it up and make it work.

That is pretty cool..very good demonstration...I would love to see more of this type thing in the future. What software did you use to make your drawings on the aerial and have notes when hovered the mouse over them?

Its an application Bartylla and I have been working on but the platform is scribble. Trying to make something where nobody has to look at the legend to decipher what is what. Custom icons with pictures etc. Info sharing platform to try and move the concepts shared on sites like these fwd.

Nice work, glad to see your work come together as planned. Hinge cutting is one effort I have not done as of yet. I have allot of Oak and have been hesitant to take on cutting a number of oaks primarily because I work alone and the size of some of the Oaks.

How many acres is the total area around the food plot and including the hinge cuts?

How many acres is the total area around the food plot and including the hinge cuts?

About 70 acres high that I own with low ground around it. I share woods on 2 sides with neighbors. East gets hunted pretty hard. West never that I have seen.

Any idea how the pressure was on the public land to your SW this year for gun season?

Any idea how the pressure was on the public land to your SW this year for gun season?

I don't know, heard no shots but had somebody else's boot tracks on my place end of October.

Can you describe the areas you hinged? What direction they are facing, are they protected from wind/in wind, is it hilly/low areas etc.

I have a hill (20 acres) that is surrounded by marsh I need to hinge but it includes about 1200 feet facing north that overlooks a slew. That north edge (mid way between marsh and hill top with high stem count) is a major travel corridor in and out of the 20 acre hill. Would you hinge on that north slope?

I also have a similar situation facing south that I need to hinge though it overlooks less slew. At the base of the hill facing south there is again a high stem count area that deer travel.

I’m thinking of hinging areas on the top 1/3 of the hill and am thinking of adding 4-5 bedding areas. Did you add any additional plantings or work the ground to get some additional stem growth?

Thanks

Can you describe the areas you hinged? What direction they are facing, are they protected from wind/in wind, is it hilly/low areas etc.

I have a hill (20 acres) that is surrounded by marsh I need to hinge but it includes about 1200 feet facing north that overlooks a slew. That north edge (mid way between marsh and hill top with high stem count) is a major travel corridor in and out of the 20 acre hill. Would you hinge on that north slope?

I also have a similar situation facing south that I need to hinge though it overlooks less slew. At the base of the hill facing south there is again a high stem count area that deer travel.

I’m thinking of hinging areas on the top 1/3 of the hill and am thinking of adding 4-5 bedding areas. Did you add any additional plantings or work the ground to get some additional stem growth?

Thanks

The areas I highlighted are fairly flat. I do not have much topography where I have highlighted. Steve showed me how to make 'sidewalks' for travel. Hinge or drop everything about 30 yards wide waist height to encourage travel on a lane 30 inches wide (bucks antlers). Hinge small trees perpendicular to travel so deer can exit trails but won't unless they have to. Drop big trees with lean and cut holes for travel if need be. Many of the doe bedding areas have 'sidewalks' leading to the plots to dictate travel to and from the food. Some do not.

Very good info Brooks. I had the same thing happen with my hinge cut areas but I realized that my stand placement was not quite right to capitalize on the buck. He came downwind of the hinge cut area but ended up busting right through the middle of it instead of continuing past towards me. Hinge cutting has been my best improvement and I need to add more while taking into account how the bucks will scent check them.

7997_corn.jpg

You rotten bastard. Always have to one up a guys plan.

It's great when a plan comes together.

Love the plan - and the layout. Glad it worked out for you and your son.

That's pretty cool, I'll have to watch it again when I have some down time.

Batman-could you post a picture of those bedding areas before hinging and after? Was it hardwoods?

What would you think about trying this in a red cedar stand?

I see some results from doing this int he cedars and should add a few more pockets of dropped trees. The deer trails are all ready made.

Batman-could you post a picture of those bedding areas before hinging and after? Was it hardwoods?

Quick overview video

Art,

We didn't take a lot of pics of specific doe bedding area creations in that area. This is about the best I have from that group shown on Brooks' initial drawing. At least this pic shows that I was doing it on the edge of a new clear cut. It was cold as, well, cold that day.

That said, just check out the thread I have on habitat improvement plans and the video above and you'll connect the dots.

As a side note, I was thrilled to get the text from Brooks that his son shot that buck...Truly awesome kid.
IMG_5702.jpg