Habitat 2021Resolutions/Plans

Dig a new pond
Plant some more low cover crops in pasture clovers/chicory
Graft a bunch of apples and pears in spring
Build and put up some flying squirrel boxes

Learn to hunt from a saddle.
Teach some new hunters about deer hunting and help them get their first deer.
Establish some modified food plots.
Establish new blinds/towers for night hunting.
Spend less time planning and more time doing.

1. Dig the pond
2. Work with the neighbor on some crops for deer, and that'll help him
3. cut a line of trees along the road in open woods as a visual break
4. put up 2 blinds
5. keep building soil
6. Couple of controlled burns

Work on NWG plantings, thicken up a couple that has thinned.
Plant a couple hundred trees and shrubs for cover and visual.
Plant more MG for visual barriers.
Plant a couple dozen fruit trees, apple and pear, some in wildlife orchards and some in the home orchard.
Move my main plot further south more toward the middle of the property, I've been moving it some over the last couple years as things grow up.
Put in culverts to make travel more accessible, I bought 3- 15"x 20' culverts for a start.

I’ve been reflecting on this over the holiday but it’s made hard as I have several properties to help on. I’ll give it a go anyway:
My place:
1. Cut downed trees to clear trails
2. Prep lower 1/2 acre field for planting/trees, including lots of liming
3. Plant/cage 15-20 fruit trees and some screen trees
4. Spray imox or cleth to control grasses in field
5.Put up treestand
6. Get to know neighboring farmers/landowners
Clients place:
1. Lime lime lime
2. Create/maintain better bedding areas
3. Workout a better plan for spraying
4. Overseed plots in spring
5. Create new plot below his cabin
Big farm:
1. Lime some plots to maintain/raise pH
2. Plant a few fruit trees near plots
3. Frost seed/overseed to improve existing plots
4. Get some nurse crop oats in
5. Spray all clover plots to control weeds/grass (hopefully with imox but open to other suggestions, just got a new atv sprayer this year so I’m excited for the possibilities)
6. Do a side by side comparison of a clover plot that’s half fertilized and half not
In laws place
1. Talk to FIL about possible planting options
2. Improve trails with a weed whacker
3. Scout a lot to figure out some patterns
4. Frost seed some clover if allowed to see what it does
Apparently I’m going to be busy..have a happy new year everyone!!

The whole south half of my property needs some dirt work.

-clean up access on my south side so I can get in quietly, under cover, and keep scent in the right place.
-restart, crown, clean (pull stumps), and expand my south food plot
-dig 5th, 6th, and 7th water holes. Try to get #7 as deep/big as #2 to spawn mud minnows. #5 and #6 depth does not matter. They are borrow pits.
-dig monitoring well at perch pond site
-clean up last year's new trail. fill holes, dig stumps, smooth out ruts etc.
-punch my north line access trail all the way through to the northwest corner. I'm about a hundred yards short of done.
-remodel, rotate, and raise my ground blind up 2' from current position

Plant hybrid willow screens,
Give miscanthis screening one last try,
Put up an electric fence to protect a 3 acre plot through the summer,
Cut cedar trees in choked out areas.

Plant hybrid willow screens,
Give miscanthis screening one last try,
Put up an electric fence to protect a 3 acre plot through the summer,
Cut cedar trees in choked out areas.
Have you planted the hybrid willow screens before? I need to screen a field from a road and was looking into them.-thanks

Bill, grafting is easier to do than it seems. I started with they ideology that I would take pear scions from my backyard trees and graft them to wild apple trees near my treestands on other peoples property. I failed miserably due to what I attribute to compatibility issues, so I tested my grafting ability by taking scions on wild apples in my backyard and grafting them to the same tree. I put a ribbon on each one so I knew where they were to see if it was because of my grafting (self taught), I did about 50 grafts and had 40'ish that took so I narrowed it down to compatibility issues.

My goals this year are:

Before spring thaw
1. cut down trees that don't feed my wildlife to make room for all the acorns a member here shipped to me so I am ready to plant them in the spring.
2. cut and form all my fencing to protect said acorn planting as well as weed matting (because if I wait till spring I will procrastinate and half-ass it)
3. beg, (blow) borrow, plead and steal if necessary to get some BlueHill Pear and Persimmon trees (its been stressful last spring and this fall just getting an order to go through)

Spring

1. take new soil samples for a new food plot area
2. break ground and plant the new plot
3. build a bridge across my creek
4. build my first permanent box blind behind the house

Have you planted the hybrid willow screens before? I need to screen a field from a road and was looking into them.-thanks
Yes, I have a bunch. Simply stick a cutting in the ground with moisture and they take off. They grow extremely fast. They hold there leaves till around mid December so they make a better screen than the native willows here do. They are very branchy so they make a decent screen even after the leaves fall off. I use cuttings from my own trees so I can get a head start by planting bigger cuttings.
They do need protected for a couple years cause the deer love to chew on them in the summer and rub them in the fall. I planted a couple thousand small cuttings one year and the deer pulled almost every single one out of the ground. Like with most tree plantings, it's better to protect a few than plant a lot unprotected.

1: Cut a few more acres of cedars
2: find someone to no-till 4 acres of plots
3: talk with local biologist about applicable programs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I have a bunch. Simply stick a cutting in the ground with moisture and they take off. They grow extremely fast. They hold there leaves till around mid December so they make a better screen than the native willows here do. They are very branchy so they make a decent screen even after the leaves fall off. I use cuttings from my own trees so I can get a head start by planting bigger cuttings.
They do need protected for a couple years cause the deer love to chew on them in the summer and rub them in the fall. I planted a couple thousand small cuttings one year and the deer pulled almost every single one out of the ground. Like with most tree plantings, it's better to protect a few than plant a lot unprotected.
Thanks for the info! You might have just made up my mind for me..you said you used cuttings..think there’s any benefit to getting larger trees for a more immediate effect? The place im looking at sells them 4-8’, 36” and 15”...with correspondingly decreasing prices. I was originally going to get 5 of the bigger ones but if they grow fast enough might be able to get more of the mid sized ones. Thanks again

One last spraying of cobalt on my fruit trees to prevent scab. Then no future sprayings to see how long until scab returns.

Establish more native wildflowers in the orchard to keep improving my native bee and butterfly habitat.

Create a backstop for a rifle range using the old tires dumped here before we bought the place.

One last spraying of cobalt on my fruit trees to prevent scab. Then no future sprayings to see how long until scab returns.

Establish more native wildflowers in the orchard to keep improving my native bee and butterfly habitat.

Create a backstop for a rifle range using the old tires dumped here before we bought the place.

You can use baking soda to prevent scab. I can find out more details if you are interested.

Thanks for the info! You might have just made up my mind for me..you said you used cuttings..think there’s any benefit to getting larger trees for a more immediate effect? The place im looking at sells them 4-8’, 36” and 15”...with correspondingly decreasing prices. I was originally going to get 5 of the bigger ones but if they grow fast enough might be able to get more of the mid sized ones. Thanks again
They grow real fast, a 15 inch cutting could be 8' tall the first year. I wonder if anyone here has done side by side testing of different size cuttings to see how they perform over time? That'd be the guy to ask that question to.

After a few years the trees will be roughly the same size I’d imagine. I’d go with the cheapest. Matting and protection is probably more important. I planted hundreds of 12” HP and HW several years ago. Trees are 30-40’ now. They were 25’ after about 3-4 years.

They grow real fast, a 15 inch cutting could be 8' tall the first year. I wonder if anyone here has done side by side testing of different size cuttings to see how they perform over time? That'd be the guy to ask that question to.
Thanks! I might get the 3’ ones as they are kinda the happy medium. With the amount of spotlighting activity I want them to be tall and thick. Don’t really like the idea of lights and bullets heading towards my house and am planning to plant them 5 feet apart for about a 40 foot span. Thanks again.

Thanks! I might get the 3’ ones as they are kinda the happy medium. With the amount of spotlighting activity I want them to be tall and thick. Don’t really like the idea of lights and bullets heading towards my house and am planning to plant them 5 feet apart for about a 40 foot span. Thanks again.
The nice part is you'll have an endless supply of cuttings for the future from those trees.