GRIN

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Has anyone else looked at the Germplasm Resources Information Network GRIN
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/site_holding.pl?GEN
I've been wandering around there for several months and still haven't figured out all the info they list, but if your an apple nut it's a place to waste......I mean spend a lot of time looking. Scroll down to malus sieversii that's a collection of apples that were brought back from Kazakhstan in the late 90's. These are for the really hard-core odd ball apple addict :eek:. You can order scionwood from them. Here's a link to a discussion about that http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg010054346559.html

Hope my links work.

Rick

Ken Weston from Weston's Antique Apples is big into the Kazakhastan apples. I took their grafting class Saturday for the second year in a row.

http://www.westonapples.com/

IMG_0240.CR2.jpg

so doing zone 4a wildlife apple research?

That could be a USDA stipulation because of the unknown hybridization/colonization status (invasive or not) of the plant. So they could have the "you need to be doing research" verbiage to satisfy the fuzz and only give it lip service in practice. If they were ever audited they could say "hey, they said they were in compliance." Just a thought.

Well...we're going to find out if you can indeed order scionwood from them. I submitted an order tonight...however, they state that the scions are to be used for research, require an organization name, and a statement as to how they'll be used in research.

Time will tell if I filled things out well enough to satisfy their questions or not

Stu

When I ordered my scionwood I stated that I wanted to study disease resistant apples and crabapples for homestead use and would report my findings on various internet boards. I received an email conformation for my order several weeks later.

Rick

I got my confirmation back last week.

What did you guys ^^^^ put down for "organization"?
I'm betting something as simple as the habitat Facebook group you guys started would be enough, research into wildlife and habitat improvements take place everyday all over the country on many levels. And besides, it has a Facebook page, that automatically makes it legit!o_O;):)

What did you guys ^^^^ put down for "organization"?

The area that I live in is called the Big Ridge so I put down the Big Ridge Orchard ;).

i always just use my name as the org, since on the topic here is what i ordered,

waziya - Comments:: Perhaps largest and best of Nevis hybrids; Fruit: size, 2 1/2 x 2 1/4"; shape oblate; skin green, unctuous and fragrant like wild crab. Sharp acid fruit does not cook up, but has less wild crab acerbity. All year keeper.

wakaga_Comments:: Fruit: perhaps largest of the Nevis hybrids, 2 3/8 x 2 1/2" deep solid red over green. Stem cavity green out over the calyx basin. Flesh: mild acerb acid. Cooks up tender into a light, yellow sauce. Harvest season: all winter

wetonka- Comments:: Fruit: 2" across; oblate, solid bright red over yellow-green ground; dots yellow, distinct; skin unctuous; basin wide, slightly wrinkled; stem cavity shallow, obtuse, green. Tube cylindrical, stamens marginal. Flesh acid, solid, not very acerb, does not cook up; neutral flavor. Tree: heavy bearer. A winter crab for the FAR NORTH, freezing improves quality

dakota - Comments:: Fruit: large, up to 3 in. in diameter; round-oblate; stem slender, long; skin an attractive deep red over yellow, sometimes with very dark red splotches; flesh creamy-yellow, crisp, juicy, firm, fine-grained, sprightly subacid; excellent for dessert and culinary uses; ripens in mid-Sept; keeps in common storage for several weeks. Tree: spreading vigorous; productive; hardy. Primarily for the home garden. Large, early, fully colored, hardy

norhey- Comments:: Fruit: size over 6 cm standard, yellow; flesh pure white coarse and resistant to browning; slightly tart; cooking and juice; keeps about 6 weeks. Consistently produces a large crop. Walter Manchester notes: "...subject to wood rotting fungi". Tree: vigorous, upright, good branching habit, very winter hardy, hardier than Heyer 12; precocious, heavy annual cropping

I noticed the Wetonka, Wakaga and Dakota on the GRIN site a few weeks back. I liked what I read as well.

I'm betting something as simple as the habitat Facebook group you guys started would be enough, research into wildlife and habitat improvements take place everyday all over the country on many levels. And besides, it has a Facebook page, that automatically makes it legit!o_O;):)
That's done a few weeks ago.

My requests were similar to Lee's.

My order was for:

Winston & Laxton's Fortune both supposedly high quality English dessert apples with high fire blight resistance.
Keegan's Crab small apple from Northern Ireland late season high fire blight resistance.
PRI 1743-1 From the Purdue Univ. breeding program. scab & fire blight resistant 2 1/4" diameter mid-season
Linda Sweet & Waubay mid season large crabs fire blight resistant
Shafer early season large crab fire blight resistant
Kerr late season large crab fire blight resistant
Kaz apples
PI 613999 large, late bloom, free from disease, mid-season
PI 614000 large, free from disease and insects, late season, excellent

Down the road there might be some interesting scionwood to pass around :cool:.

I ordered:

Southworth pear
Southworth (PI 541350). Scionwood brought from near Duluth, Minnesota, by a Great Lakes captain sometime between 1900-10 and grafted on two trees at his home near Massena, N.Y. Introduced in 1968 by Fred L. Ashworth, St. Lawrence Nurseries, Heuvelton, N.Y. Brought to Ashworth's attention in 1967 by Frank Southworth of Massena, N.Y., present owner of the property. Parentage unknown. Fruit: medium large, as large as Bartlett; shaped like Duchesse d'Angouleme; skin green, rarely blushed; flesh has very little grit cells, flavor good, not as sweet as Bartlett; seeds per fruit average about three; ripens 20-30 Sept. in New York; some fire blight resistance. Tree: medium size; upright, vigorous; extremely hardy; productive; self-fertile. Original trees are still strong and vigorous, showing no sign of winter injury. -- Brooks and Olmo Register of Fruit and Nut Varieties.

The Southworth is possibly my best 'find' of any fruit genus thus far, as it fulfills more of real need than any of my others. I have grafted more of it than anything else this year. Two trees of this pear were grafted by a Great Lakes skipper about 1908. They have not winter killed since (winters to -45 F during that time). Nor has it blighted; and it bears fruit almost as good as those offered in the stores. It seems to bear from its own pollen. I surmise the captain learned of the pear from a Finn or Norwegian and arranged to have propagating wood sent or brought to him. His name -- I think -- was Benton; but the Southworths bought the place from him, and Frank, the second Southworth owner called it to my attention, so I named it Southworth. -- Fred L. Ashworth, Route 2, Heuvelton, New York. North American Pomona 9:20. October, 1969.

Prairie Spy
Comments:: Fruit: size medium to large, W61-75 x L52-62 mm; shape flat, rectangular convex. not ribbed; skin green to yellowish green, striped and blotched dull orange-red, whitish gray dots, very sticky tough; flesh firm, fine, greenish white; flavor sweet subacid, crisp, juicy, excellent flavor for all purpose. Harvest season late. Tree: hardy, vigorous, long-lived annually productive. Some resistance to apple scab and cedar apple rust. Matures in Oct. Resembles Northern Spy.

MN 80-15-30, which is one of the Kazakhstan varieties
Sampled 60 fruits from 1 tree. Flesh flavor is aromatic. Over color is 70% red. Fruit size is larger than 50mm. Free of disease and insects. Best apple so far, great.

Court Pendu Plat
Comments:: Fruit: size medium, W62 x L44-50 mm; shape flat, rectangular, convex, not ribbed; skin yellow blush dull red with some russet; flesh firm, crisp, yellowish white; flavor sweet, rich, perfumed. Ripens in November or December depending on location. Excellent dessert apple. Pick late. Keeps until April. Small, hardy, upright tree, precocious yielding, scab resistant, suitable for heavy soils. Very late flowering ("Wise Apple"). Good for late frost prone locations. Add. LIT.CIT. 1992-93 H. Apple. Tsolum River Fruit Trees Catalogue. p 16

Lee and Art, maybe a few years down the road we can share scions of these for continued "research"
Sounds good to me, what stock are you using for the pear?

That's yet to be decided. I may go with the wild pears I have growing here now...either that or order a couple OHxF 97's
You might get me interested in pears again. I am about ready to give up. Still trying to round up some apple rootstock.