All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRIN Apple/Pear Scion

buckvelvet

5 year old buck +
Hey fellas, for those of you that were lucky enough to get some this year, how did they look and any success?

I got 9 different pear scion varieties this year. Most were average to good with a few great varieties. So far I haven't had any variety die out completely and most have good growth. Slowest to bud out more than any other was Hudar. Biggest scions and also fastest growing was Stacey. Since it's my first time bench grafting I'm very happy with the results. All pears are on ofxh87 rootsttock from cummins.

Varieties were Stacey, hudar, luscious, patten, nova, Vermont beauty, Ayer, sauvignac, Beierschmidtt

I'm currently making a spreadsheet for the apples they offer with FB resistance and harvest times. I don't know if it will be helpful but I would like to get all my scions from there next year hopefully.

I'm currently making a spreadsheet for the apples they offer with FB resistance and harvest times. I don't know if it will be helpful but I would like to get all my scions from there next year hopefully.
Are you willing to share that document when finished?

There are so many apples to choose from on GRIN, it is better if you search for fire blight resistance and something else you want to limit the number. They have 153 listed as very resistant to fireblight for blossoms and 599 as very resistant to fire blight for the shoots.

Start at www.Ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/desclist.pl?115 to see all the descriptor variables for apple.

You can search for multiple descriptors on their beta website. Npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/search.aspx

Their beta search appears to be down right now.

I have a list I can share but it is partial. I'll look at it when I get home tonight to see if it is worth posting. I started with fireblight shoot, fireblight blossom if known, harvest time, ploidy, hangs past harvest, fruit size, stem length. I want to do some crosses so I threw out triploids. Axed most early apples. If there were negative comments or descriptions, particularly for scab, I threw it out. I probably tossed out most very large apples or very small. I had a busy time over Christmas on their website. I ordered budwood for this August.

There are so many apples to choose from on GRIN, it is better if you search for fire blight resistance and something else you want to limit the number. They have 153 listed as very resistant to fireblight for blossoms and 599 as very resistant to fire blight for the shoots.

Start at www.Ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/desclist.pl?115 to see all the descriptor variables for apple.

You can search for multiple descriptors on their beta website. Npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/search.aspx

I was wondering if there was a better way to search that stuff!

It is as complicated as you want to make it. Their database is designed to collect the info apple researchers want and need. Most is of no interest to me or you. Print out the list of descriptors and circle the 3 or 4 you actually care about and ignore everything else. Then change the drop down boxes for those on the search page to find varieties that fit your interest.

Too early to tell at this point but I am batting 100% in terms of no one variety completely dead. I had a couple misc crabapples but mostly pears. Scions were above average size wise.

Last edited:
I tried the beta search and wasn't finding as many varities as using excel and filtering them myself. The medium harvest season with FB resistance showed atleast 130. I have sorted through about a quarter of the apples only 1700 more and it should be done I'll email it to anyone once I'm finished. Splitting them into two columns too large apples vs small because some of them are pea size. Also a lot of the kahzachstan (sp) don't show a rating for fb so those may have some resistance too idk why it didn't have that? Chicken any tips on using the beta search I chose a med harvest date and shoot fb resistance? Also do you know who to contact if it says to contact the maintainence site for example I would like to graft this apple:

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1522587

I'm wondering who I should email to ask about it any idea?

Thanks and sorry I'm on a smartphone if my typing is terrible

The down side to adding multiple variables when searching is that not every variable is recorded for every variety. Few trees have an entry for fire blight blossom so requiring that eliminates all trees where that is unknown. The Kazakh trees you mentioned may be too new. They do not check each tree and record every year. And sometimes there are entries from different years that conflict. Some Kaz trees I looked at had harvest dates a month apart in different years.

For the tree you asked about, I think you need to contact someone at the USDA Geneva research station to see if the tree is available. Click on the link where the page says: Maintained by the Natl. Germplasm Repository - Geneva. There are 2 contacts on that page that you can email to ask.

You guys are good people, just say'n.

I was thinking about doing this with their switchgrass selections back when I first saw they offered switch seeds. There aren't all that many, and the info is rather random per variety(not every selection has all the info), much like the apple information, but I think it would be a worthwhile resource to have it all compiled in a spreadsheet instead of having to dig through that site. I may have to get to work on that sometime soon.;) Maybe do different tabs for all the NWSG types.

image.jpg
Most were about that size, one or maybe two may have some wood towards the tip smaller and several were larger. About as nice of scions as I've ever received
I agree with that for sure and I haven't lost a single graft (all apples) yet and all are looking very good Some are already in the ground and doing well also. Here is what they looked like when I got them

Last edited:
They were awesome and all still doing great