Granny Smith Apple trees in full blossom

White Oak

5 year old buck +
The first fruit trees I planted in the yard after moving to VA 21 years ago, probably purchased at Lowes. I'm aware they could use a good pruning. Regardless , from June to October the deer come up every evening before dark looking for the apples that trickle off. Their still some hanging in Nov but during hunting season the deer come to feed after dark. I may have to add a Granny Smith to my Hunting Tree Plot. 100_2035.JPG

That is one of my favorite eating apples, oldest sons too. We like the sharp sour taste of them. Great wildlife trees, they hang nice and late into Dec here.
I need to plant a couple more of them.

That is one of my favorite eating apples, oldest sons too. We like the sharp sour taste of them. Great wildlife trees, they hang nice and late into Dec here.
I need to plant a couple more of them.
You should try Sundance if you haven't already tried it. It has a similar taste and seems bulletproof in DR.

You should try Sundance if you haven't already tried it. It has a similar taste and seems bulletproof in DR.

Thanks!
I will add it to the short list of trees I still need. How late does it hang? Not that it really makes a difference I've got plenty of late hangers, I need to put a couple striped June in the ground and that other early one you have.

Thanks!
I will add it to the short list of trees I still need. How late does it hang? Not that it really makes a difference I've got plenty of late hangers, I need to put a couple striped June in the ground and that other early one you have.
I got my first crop last year, and it was a big crop of large apples. For me the tree was done dropping before Mid September, but what you read on the Internet says much later, It seems that most apples drop much earlier for me than what I read. My tree came from Gurneys, and here is what they say: "The apples mature in mid to late October and will hang on the tree for up to a month without losing flavor and quality." It doesn't matter to me, because mine is planted in my yard for human consumption rather than deer.

sundance.jpeg

Last edited:
I had some granny smiths still on the tree in Jan this past year

Are Granny Smith's slow to bear fruit? I have one at our house and another planted at my in-laws about 8 miles away. Both trees planted in 2020 I believe. They are great looking trees, probably around 10-12' tall. But neither have fruited yet.

Are Granny Smith's slow to bear fruit? I have one at our house and another planted at my in-laws about 8 miles away. Both trees planted in 2020 I believe. They are great looking trees, probably around 10-12' tall. But neither have fruited yet.
Even though they say Granny Smith is self-fertile , and does not need a pollination partner, I'd plant another apple tree 25 feet away. As you can see in the photo I have 2 Granny Smiths and it works for me. I probably followed the trees tag for planting advice/ if I could do it over I'd plant them a little farther apart say 25-30 feet.

I have several apples in the vicinity. There's a Red Delicious, Gala, and Fuji all within 15 yards, and probably a dozen apple or crabapples trees within 200 yards. The Red Delicious is less than half the size of the Granny Smith, but has produced for 2 years already.

I have several apples in the vicinity. There's a Red Delicious, Gala, and Fuji all within 15 yards, and probably a dozen apple or crabapples trees within 200 yards. The Red Delicious is less than half the size of the Granny Smith, but has produced for 2 years already.
Thats what you want, growth the first few years, then apples. Probably should be plucking the flowers off the gala for a few years. Any idea on the rootstocks

Thats what you want, growth the first few years, then apples. Probably should be plucking the flowers off the gala for a few years. Any idea on the rootstocks
Unfortunately, no. These are all trees bought through our local county conservation district tree sale.