Grafting tool

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Are those cheap grafting tools under $20 any good they seem to be the same product all under different names.. I want a field graft a lot of seedlings thanks

Buy a good knife and go get them done

I've actually had quite a bit of success with one of those for top working. I did my first grafts last year and found it to be a useful tool to learn with. Now I use a knife.

Far from perfect but here are some pics of last years grafts I did with the grafting tool

Attachments

• 24777FB0-5FF2-46C9-9E60-ED8AC09EC60F.jpeg
    24777FB0-5FF2-46C9-9E60-ED8AC09EC60F.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 46062315-1DDB-4A05-9CB3-1AA58739541C.jpeg
    46062315-1DDB-4A05-9CB3-1AA58739541C.jpeg
    295.5 KB · Views: 30
http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/grafting-tools.10279/

I posted this thread awhile back. I bought the same tool that was recommended here. I grafted 25 apples this summer. So far it appears like 18 or them are pushing growth within 2 weeks. The others I have high hopes for as well. Seems to work quite well. I got mine on Amazon.

What, and miss out on all that blood letting... I looked at them and couldn't come to a conclusion so I just stuck with a good grafting knife. It would be nice to try one, for under twenty bucks your not out much.

The one I got (details in the thread KylePa posted) is holding up and working well but the scions need to be well matched to the rootstock in diameter and in the right size range. I'm getting at least as good results with it as I get doing W&T with a grafting knife (but I'm not expert at W&T). It is much faster for me. A knife (in the right hands) give you a lot more flexibility with things don't match. The tool I have is much faster for me when the diameters are in the range of the tool and well matched.

One note: If you look at my post in KylePa's link it has a link to another forum. These cheap tools (like mine) are Chinese knock-offs. Several folks have reported broken tools and such. QC is pretty much non-existent. So, you pay your $20, spin the wheel, and see what you get. Mine are several seasons old and are doing fine.

Thanks,

Jack

A knife (in the right hands) give you a lot more flexibility with things don't match. The tool I have is much faster for me when the diameters are in the range of the tool and well matched.

That is a good point in favor a knife... I'm in the midst of grafting out a 100 B118 RS to scion from mainly wild crab trees and most of the diameters are not matching up to the RS. I'm pretty decent at W&T grafting but this year is a bit of a challenge - I'm side grafting a lot of them and getting creative with the graft W&Tcuts just trying to get stuff to line up in some form or another.

I would not be able to do that without the knife I'm using; a grafting tool would just not work at all.