Grafting Question

KylePa

5 year old buck +
Guys I grafted a number of trees in March. I started them in my unheated cellar, moved to my garage and then planted them in my raised beds. Some Arkansas Black and Dolgos' have not yet broken bud yet. The rootstocks are alive, but the buds appear to be swelling still maybe I am losing it as well? The scions aren't dried out and the rootstocks are alive as they are pushing growth. At what point do you give up on them? I know I can just t-bud to the rootstocks later, was just curious as I am new to this.

Thanks.

I grafted on St Patricks day, one Arkansas Black just broke about a week ago...the 2nd doesn't look real promising. Total I'm 13/20 on my first graft attempt, I planted all the failures in the nursery as well to t-bud.

My roots came on 3/22 and I grafted most that day and the next. I had an Ark Black break bud this week, and a couple more that look like they may follow. Also had a Droptine break a few days ago, and a few Enterprise are late. Had an Olympic pear break this week. They're still coming, for me anyway.

The latest ones that I had grafted were grafted around 3/25 or 3/26. Maybe there is still hope on some of these. I bought a grafting tool off Amazon and it appeared to be fool proof so was expecting better results.

Before they can leaf out they have to heal up. Give them time. The worst that can happen is the grafted scion dies. Make sure you make good contact between cambium layers.

No hurry to count wins and losses or get discouraged. Keep rubbing off the rootstock leaves into June. If the scion isn't going by then, let a rootstock bud grow to keep it alive for budding in August or regrafting next spring.