Grafting Class

Red

5 year old buck +
After lots of reading on this and the other website I've caught the apple bug. I have 12 coming in 2 weeks but am starting to think into next year and playing around with grafting. Does anyone have any recommendations for a grafting class in Minnesota. Preferably within a couple hours of the metro.
For Crazy Ed and all you other pros on here, have you ever thought of hosting a class? It seems like you have the knowledge base and technique.

Stu and those guys had a local class put on my one of the other MN guys.

I have not really thought about a class, I figure I blog enough about it on here :)

Grafting class by Crazy Ed - where do I sign up...;)

You guys are funny. My wife would probably kill me if you guys all showed up at my house looking to graft more trees.

It's along time off, but I wondered if we could get a spring 2015 grafting class/get together. Dan did a good job of teaching and organizing the last one. Lee and Stu do some grafting. Maybe outstate, but anywhere could work.

Sometimes Master Gardeners know of classes.

That's why you have it at a local establishment Ed ;) innova had ours in a room at a VFW
And he did a great job!

I think it would be great if QHMG did an annual grafting day. Not sure if the "group" will remain functional or not though to be honest
I wonder if the group will continue to function also. I hope it does.

If there is a 2015 MN grafting class / get together I would be interested. We could smuggle Ed across the border

You guys are funny. My wife would probably kill me if you guys all showed up at my house looking to graft more trees.
How bout your farm? That would be a great tour, I have to expand to your strength, fruit trees and native plants.

I took a grafting class a few years ago. I learned alot and it was a lot of fun. I have grafted every year since. The class i took was at a place called Virginia Vintage Apples and Cider Works. They had a big meeting room and there were probably 50 people there. I stopped by there a few weeks later and one of the owners gave me a couple Albemarle Pippins that he was going to trash because they didn't look to hot. One of them has quite a few blooms on it this year so i'm excited to see what it bears.

Dipper - We do have a very high species count when it comes to native plants, thats my fathers wheelhouse. He's very serious about what goes in the ground on our dirt and keeps pretty detailed records on the origin of most of it.

Here's one of the diverse plantings we did in 2008.

Big Bluestem (Green Co WI)

Indian Grass (Rumsey)

June Grass (Marq Co WI)

Little Bluestem (Camper)

Prairie Dropseed (MN Native)

Sideoats Grama Grass (Pierre)

Switch Grass (Sunburst)

Alumroot (Wauk CO WI)

Blackeyed Susan (Origin Not Known)

Butterfly Plant (Marq Co WI)

Compass Plant (MO)

Large Flowered Beardtongue (NE)

Leadplant (Wauk Co WI)

Wild Lupine (Marq Co WI)

Nodding Onion (Wauk Co WI)

Pale Purple Coneflower (NE)

Partridge Pea (SE MN)

Prairie Coreopsis (MN)

Prairie Onion (WI)

Prairie Phlox (Marq Co WI)

Purple Coneflower (Origin Not Known)

Purple Prairie Clover (MN)

Rattlesnake Master (Wauk Co WI)

Rough Blazingstar (Kenosha Co WI)

Shooting Star (Wauk Co WI)

Showy Goldenrod (Dane Co WI)

Sky Blue Aster (WI)

Smooth Blue Aster (IA)

Spiderwort (Wauk Co WI)

Stiff Goldenrod (Green Co WI)

White Prairie Clover (MN)

Wild Bergamot (MN)

Wild Garlic (Wauk Co WI)

Wild Petunia (Wauk Co WI)

Wild Quinine (WI)

Yellow Coneflower (MN)

Who hosted the one in Maple Grove? Maybe I can attend that one next year if we don't get one going out of this group first.

How bout your farm? That would be a great tour, I have to expand to your strength, fruit trees and native plants.

Great idea! Would lunch be include..:D... but in all seriousness, I think a grafting class would be a great idea..;)

Great idea! Would lunch be include..:D... but in all seriousness, I think a grafting class would be a great idea..;)
We could do a swap, I'm looking at having a good supply of rye and oats seed.