All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got my brassicas in

momatt

5 year old buck +
Well I found out qdma forum is shutting down, so I headed over here. I joined qdma 6 years ago and learned all I know from the forums.

I picked up 500 pounds of n and 200 pounds of p and k this morning from MFA. Spread that hooked up the disc and disced it in. Then I went and got a drill from nrcs and drilled in 5 acres of purple tops and radishes. First time I used a no till, previously I broadcast and cultipacked. Boy they are heavy. The guy said my tractor could handle the 10 footer but my half ton ford could not pull it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44
Seat view

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 25
My rig

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 38
Nice!

That is big field of brassicas!. You must have a high deer density or no Ag in the area. I have looked at renting a no till drill but always fall back to broadcasting and cultipacking. Sometimes I will spray if needed. It seems you could get by with less prep tillage with a no till drill in the future. I would be interested in your take on using the drill vs broadcasting and cultipacking? How much seed did you put down with the drill? thanks

That field is about three acres and the tree line on one side is a creek with about two acres on the other side also in brassicas. Purple tops and radishes. I had one great crop of turnips broadcasting and rolling, and two or three poor. The poor crops had a lot of residue, tall rye and weeds and I didn't mow before I disced. Just found out I could rent this no till for 10/ acre and Nrcs is only a few miles from my farm.

I think I drilled in about 3 pounds an acre, with 100 pounds on n an acre I hope they take off.

Around me its hay ground and woods, a good plot brings in dozens of deer to my 40 acres every day. Without plots I will only see a deer every third time I hunt.

Looking good!

How did you work that field up? Just disc it lightly after spraying Gly or what? What state are you in? Most Midwest states are bone dry now and I don't think they would grow now, but I am shooting of rain and planting next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disced it after mowing, two passes a week ago, and a pass to work the fertilizer in. I'm in central missouri. We have decent soil moisture now, and pop up storms are a possibility all week.

As long as you get some rain - that will be a great plot. At 3 lbs acre I think you will get some monster turnips. I need to rent one of those drills and give it try. If I do I think I would spray and then no till directly into the sod with my lighter soils.