Got my bear mount back

BuckSutherland

5 year old buck +
Shot my first bear last year on opening day in MN. Self guided hunt. First time bear hunting. Shot her in the Chippewa National Forrest. Had a great first experience. Really pleased with how my mount turned out and to get her back so quickly. Taxidermist says my bear was an old girl with teeth really worn down. Also said she had lots of fat. Sure hope I get to do it again someday. I took a lot of advice from Bowhuntingroad youtube channel. Bernie had lots of great advice. My hunt was nearly a script of stuff he talked about on his youtube channel.

IMG_7782.JPGIMG_7784.JPG

Looks fantastic! Congrats!

Looks awesome! How do you like bear meat? How do you prepare it? Roasts, steaks, jerky, burger?

Looks awesome! How do you like bear meat? How do you prepare it? Roasts, steaks, jerky, burger?

I pressure canned almost all of my bear meat about 2 weeks ago. It is absolutely FANTASTIC!! Couple baked potatoes in the air fryer mashed with butter, pour bear meat on top (warmed up in sauce pan). Add a few fried onions and sour cream to the side. Pour a little Franks buffalo sauce on top. It is better then the best roast beef you have ever had. I love it. Couldnt have turned out any better if you ask me. I just added 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt and 1/4 tsp better than bullion beef base to my pint jars and canned.

IMG_7659.JPGOSYL5368.JPG

Wow! Looks great! (So does the mount)

Nice!

Here was my bait. I tried to have a more natural foods by feeding lots of nuts and grains. I figured the nuts and corn type stuff would hold up well if the bait got rained on. We just covered the bait with oak logs.

Primary baits were:
-trail mix (fed the most of this- nuts, fruits, a few marshmellows, a little chocolate- THE PERFECT BAIT)
-70% granola 30% shelled corn. (I poured some cheap syrup on this in a tote and mixed it up, then sprinkled a little sugar- taste like apple crisp topping)
-ear corn from my crop production fields (sprinkled with a tad of molasses powder) - a great bait to make them work hard to get the reward and weatherproof
-4 loaves of bread made into sandwiches with cream cheese and buttercream frosting in the center (This was the first thing my bears ate every time)

Secondary treats:
-2lb of fruit snacks per day
-smoked and salted pork roast
-cheapo hotdogs
-a few cheap ham steaks
-bacon grease
-Northwoods Gold Rush (honey scented). Mixed this up with some old peanut oil fish fryer grease. Sprayed all over the ground and into the trees, etc.... I could smell this from 50 yards away. They destroyed the grass around my bait tearing it out and eating it. Sprayed it way up in the trees. Smell must have carried for miles cause my bait got crushed
-14lb butter cream frosting (sandwiches, smeared on logs and tree next to bait)
-40lb cream cheese (sandwiches)
-apples

They went nuts for this bait. If I do it again I will cut out all the meat. No need for it. Baiting was very fun. I had a couple very close encounters with my bears. Opening day I came over the hill pails in hand and there was a bear 30 yards away sitting on my bait. It might be the one on my wall. Mine old girl was completely powerless to resist the bait. She came strolling down the ridge and the bait drew her in like a giant magnet. Was cool as hell to watch happen.

IMG_5704.JPGIMG_5705.JPGIMG_5724.JPGIMG_5726.JPGIMG_5827.JPGIMG_5828.JPG

Congrats Buck!

I'm curious, did you do this on your land? I'm a couple years out yet to draw for our family land in Itasca county and I haven't quite figured out how I'd want to approach it. I'm just hesitant about how baiting bears would impact deer hunting on the same property.

Congrats Buck!

I'm curious, did you do this on your land? I'm a couple years out yet to draw for our family land in Itasca county and I haven't quite figured out how I'd want to approach it. I'm just hesitant about how baiting bears would impact deer hunting on the same property.

I hunted on federal land about 5 miles away from my land. My setup was right on the edge of some very thick cover about 70-80 yards from a swamp. Gotta be close to the natural food. I was setup on the edge of a pretty big area of mature red oaks. They were just starting to drop acorns. The bears were bedding between the swamp and my bait. My bear popped out of the thick cover and walked down the oak ridge and then made a 90 degree turn for my bait when she got downwind. Took about 1 min for her to walk the ridge and then turn and come down into my bait. The game warden was sitting in her truck less then 100 yards away when I shot. I really had a perfect spot other then I was fairly close to the logging road.

There was no water on my land so that wasnt even an option with the drought. Bear need LOTS of water when they have the feed bag on. I had 5 other guided hunters within a few miles. I was the only one to shoot a bear opening night.

IMG_5858.JPGIMG_5861.JPG

First of all, that's awesome @BuckSutherland. That is an old critter!

Second of all, F&C#!!! This reminds me that I missed the bear application deadline for the second year in a row. Somehow I manage to successfully hit the deadlines for about 15 out of state applications every damn year but MN and their micky mouse week or two application period manages to get the slip. I even use the outdoor news calendar on the fridge with these dates.

I'm pretty sure someone would like a mount of this one.n edge bear copy.jpg

Last edited:
drew bear copy.jpg

Last edited:
pond bear copy.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool mount!