Got Coons?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_2178.jpeg

Put this corn feeder up two weeks ago - never had a corn feeder on this property before. Didnt take the coons long to figure out they like it. Hasnt been visited by a deer yet

You probably don't have alot of turkeys either

Has there been any other type of feeding there or close in the past? If not, you've got the coon habitat management thing nailed.

I dont know of any. Most of the land in the area does not allow baiting. Closest I would guess would be a little over a mile and a half. Just as odd, only one pig - and no deer. I see deer almost every time I visit property
Has there been any other type of feeding there or close in the past? If not, you've got the coon habitat management thing nailed.

I have them living in the boat in my yard. When the weather gets a little cooler, I won't have them living in the boat in my yard.
Last year I had them living in my chimney. They live in my back yard now, underground.

I wish I could do something with nest predators where I hunt, but living too far away isn't practical. Trapping for a couple days a year does nothing. And the way the seasons fall out, I almost never get to hunt them (or coyote). Can't wake up at 4AM to get out in a bow stand in the morning AND be out in the woods till midnight with NV and a rifle.

356 and some others really opened my eyes about coons hurting the turkey population. they have the trapping down too. It's kinda like seeing 1 mouse and end up catching 20, there's even more than you think

Reactions: 356
Is there a creek or river close?

We have trapped an unbelievable amount of coons in little spot at our house. The number is over 400 between coons and possums in 5 years. I never imagined there could be that many in an area. We have had an excellent turkey hatch this summer. If anyone has any interest in maintaining or growing a turkey population then trapping coons should be at the top of the list!

Last time I trapped raccoons, I got 10 in a row out in some open timber. I couldn't believe how many raccoons that landscape can sustain. Most of them were huge, too. Biggest one was about 35 lbs. It was a real eye opener.

there is a big old hog in there, too - I need to deal with. After that, I know a kid with a suppressed .22 that wants a go at the coons. I told him I would pay him $10 apiece. There is a box stand 30 yards away. After he gives them a try, I will bring out the traps

If you enjoy night shooting, a thermal type scope and shotgun would likely eliminate several of these nest robbing predators. While some naysayers will proclaim “you can’t control coon populations” or “if you reduce the numbers, others will come in from neighboring properties,” managing coon populations will make a difference and will benefit wildlife. Back when ‘coon pelts had value, the numbers stayed in check due to trapping. With little to no pelt value, landowners must help keep the coon population under control. It clearly looks like you have more coons than your carrying capacity.

If you enjoy night shooting, a thermal type scope and shotgun would likely eliminate several of these nest robbing predators. While some naysayers will proclaim “you can’t control coon populations” or “if you reduce the numbers, others will come in from neighboring properties,” managing coon populations will make a difference and will benefit wildlife. Back when ‘coon pelts had value, the numbers stayed in check due to trapping. With little to no pelt value, landowners must help keep the coon population under control. It clearly looks like you have more coons than your carrying capacity.
This is a 62 acre property not contiguous with my home 350 acres. I fairly well control the coons at home. I dont visit the other property for several weeks at a time

Reactions: 356