Got a turkey

Mortenson

5 year old buck +
Got lucky this morning on IL's northern opener. Birds unfortunately seem pretty scarce this year. That's being reported throughout the state. This guy came in with 1 hen and 3 jakes, and they were joined by 1 more hen. He was putting a good show on. Weight probably low 20's with an 11" beard. Good luck to all the spring turkey hunters.

20240415_081506.jpg

Congrats on a great hunt and beautiful bird!

An 11" beard is really nice, so I'm guessing it must be an older bird.

Nice bird. How big were his spurs?
Thanks. I didn't measure his spurs yet, but they're not any longer than 1.25". That's what they looked like, but they're nice and sharp. I'd guess probably a 3 year old bird? The bulk of his beard is 10.5" but some of the strands go to 11"

Nice bird! Congrats.

Turkey numbers are down across the entire country. There's some research going on to understand why...seems like poult survivorship, which is typically low, is now abysmal. In my neck of the woods in NW Mass. I could go out on THE LAST day of a 4 week season and hear birds gobbling on the ridge top I hunt. Now, on opening morning I am hard pressed to find a bird gobbling anywhere.

Congrats!

Great bird! Congrats!

Thanks guys. Chris just bagged a gobbler... update later!

He was looking for his 1st longbeard for 3 years. He earned some paychecks and bought his own decoys, repainted them, bought calls, a gun wrap and sling. 21.5 lbs 10" beard. Happy day.

20240416_074418.jpg

He was looking for his 1st longbeard for 3 years. He earned some paychecks and bought his own decoys, repainted them, bought calls, a gun wrap and sling. 21.5 lbs 10" beard. Happy day.

View attachment 63772

If he painted those decoys, he did a DANG good job! Dave Smith would be proud of those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats! Looks like both of you had a great season! Glad to see his efforts and determination payoff.