Good magazine for a kid?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I'm thinking ahead to Christmas. I've got brother's kids that are getting interested in the outdoors. I'd like to also get them reading at a young age. What would be a good magazine for them about the outdoors in the Midwest?

My first thought was Fur Fish Game.

I'm thinking ahead to Christmas. I've got brother's kids that are getting interested in the outdoors. I'd like to also get them reading at a young age. What would be a good magazine for them about the outdoors in the Midwest?

My first thought was Fur Fish Game.

I am sorry SD but I have to laugh ... a paper magazine for kids today?

I would do Playboy ... it is the original Fur Fish Game ... good luck! :)

I hadn't read a book I wasn't forced to read until I was about 18. I hated reading. School crammed 19th century English lit down our throats. It was boring and irrelevant. Couldn't care less about Pip and his exploits with the cat lady. But when someone forced me to read a book that had some relevance to what I was interested in, I discovered reading could be useful when it entertains or educates you on stuff you're interested in. Genius concept, I know.

FFG got me through a lot of boring time in the school library. The stories were simple and didn't pimp products. It was simple stuff about hunting squirrels or ice fishing for sunnies.

I also agree, it's gonna be hard to back up 30 years technology wise to get kids to discover something the old fashioned way, but their heads are turning to mush because they're not reading, and if they are, it's crap about flying unicorns and other useless BS.

Not sure how old the kids are. Outdoor Life has a variety to get started. We get Outdoor News for our kids each year. They seem to read it and are informed on many issues.

I used to love Fur Fish and Game, but haven't looked at it for many, many years. No idea if its still good or not. I do like the idea of getting them a paper magazine...not sure if they will though.

Used to like Midwest Outdoors too, but haven't picked one of those up for quite awhile either.

I have 12 nieces & nephews ... if it is not on there cell phone, not in their universe ...

I did buy my nephew Field & Steam when he was 8-10 years old ... more relevant stuff without alerting the parents to carnage ... he liked it and is now part of our experience here at age 17 ... problem is this next 10 days ... hockey tournaments which he captain of the team ...

I always loved reading...still do. Most of what I read now isn't of high literary value though :D

Another thought...not really a magazine, but I also used to love going through field ID pocket guides for plants, animals, rocks....anything outside.

RIF ... I am going up to bed and start another Jack Reacher novel ... read what you can, and enjoy that you can still read ...

I read the Mn. Volunteer as a kid and my Dad had years of back issues. I read them all.
Stu has some good points about nature guides or something similar if the kid is interested. Maybe an electronic one for trees?

My 8 year old reads a lot and it is mostly on the iPad. She thinks getting library books is cool but prefers the iPad. Even most of her home work is done on line now. If your nephews are the same you can get them on line subscriptions to a lot of things.

I read the Mn. Volunteer as a kid and my Dad had years of back issues. I read them all.
Stu has some good points about nature guides or something similar if the kid is interested. Maybe an electronic one for trees?

My dad has many decades worth of the volunteer magazines too. I enjoy reading them still.

Use paper, we need more deer habitat :)