Glyphosate lingo / concentration %

Here’s a easy way for people that don’t want to calculate their sprayer the traditional way.

Say you have a plot you know is .5 acre or close enough. Fill your tank with just water. Say 15 gallons. Spray the field at a constant speed until you have covered the entire field. Let’s say you used 9 gallons. You now know to mix 1 qt of gly for a half acre and to fill the tank with 9 gallons of water. Adjust accordingly. Of course, for this to work, you have to drive the speed you used when spraying just water.

Here’s a easy way for people that don’t want to calculate their sprayer the traditional way.

Say you have a plot you know is .5 acre or close enough. Fill your tank with just water. Say 15 gallons. Spray the field at a constant speed until you have covered the entire field. Let’s say you used 9 gallons. You now know to mix 1 qt of gly for a half acre and to fill the tank with 9 gallons of water. Adjust accordingly. Of course, for this to work, you have to drive the speed you used when spraying just water.

I don't know if it is easier, but that way does work.

I have mixed 41% at 4 ounces per gallon in both a backpack sprayer and in my 20 gallon atv boom sprayer. Everything I spray with either is dead within 10 days or so. No need to overcomplicate it and gly is cheap.

Gly is less cheap than it used to be!

I have mixed 41% at 4 ounces per gallon in both a backpack sprayer and in my 20 gallon atv boom sprayer. Everything I spray with either is dead within 10 days or so. No need to overcomplicate it and gly is cheap.

When I was 10 years old, I shot a grackle wiht a wooden arrow and 20# recurve at 30 yards. I could shoot for the rest of my life and never have that happen again. Because 4 oz/gal happened to kill what you sprayed with your sprayer, pressure, and speed, does not mean you won't be encouraging others to further gly-resistant weeds.

If your 20 gal covered an acre you sprayed 2.5 qt/ac. If it covered 1/2 an acre you sprayed 5 qt/ac. If it covered 2 acres you sprayed 1 1/4 qt/ac. You quickly see why calibration is important...

I didn't expect this level of feedback but thanks guys.

Thus far i've just filled the tank of the sprayer with the gly/water ratio from the label and driven around until I feel everything has been covered. It seems to work fine but just wanted to make sure there wasn't more to it. I've read the labels closer and might put more thought into it going forward.

Wanted to run a tank of water through the sprayer to clean it last night (is this necessary?) so I timed how long it takes to spray a full tank (15 gal). Figured with my 2 nozzle boom @ 5 MPH I can conservatively get full coverage on 0.45 acre which is about on the nuts with what a tank lasted me in practice. Going off the label mixture % of roughly 2 oz/gallon, I ended up near the often quoted 2 quart per acre, i just didn't calculate it out previously.
What’s your purpose for the spraying? If it’s a burn down and you want everything dead I wouldn’t mess with the 2 quarts per acre I’d use 4 or 5. Now if your spraying over corn or trying to thin some grass in your clover then you’d want to be a bit more accurate and use the 2 quarts per acre. Also, I know some will debate but, I always thoroughly rinse out the tank and then let it sit with a tank cleaner over night and then rinse again. I spray a lot of different chemicals so I err on caution side. Sometimes I use it to water trees so I want it really clean.

I use a 200gallon boomless sprayer and very rarely use glysophate I do know the calibration of my sprayer and figure my mix based on this and label instructions. I would suggest picking up some 20/80 surfactant and mixing in the tank with your weed killer of choice. I’m running around 2 quarts of surfactant per 100gallons of spray you will get a much better kill with labeled amounts if you use surfactant. For a spot sprayer I think I use about 2oz of glysophate per gallon of water and about that much surfactant. Surfactant is cheap and worth using. I have for spot spraying in a 1-2gallon sprayer used a couple table spoons of dish soap in a pinch it’s better than nothing but at $15 a gallon for surfactant just keep a gallon on hand.

Most formulations of gly have surfactant in it, but with many other chemicals, adding surfactant is a great idea.

Gly is less cheap than it used to be!

And there seems to be a run on it now

Cant find in east texas at tractor supply

bill