Gly Resistant Weeds Are Now Here To Stay!

M

MoBuckChaser

deleted

Attachments

• hemp1.jpg
    hemp1.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 165
  • hemp2.jpg
    hemp2.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited by a moderator:
Is this in MO?

I sprayed a bunch last week and it was starting to curl when I left. But that doesn't mean it won't uncurl and laugh at me.

What's the cure in a bean field? An old timer told me butyrac will curl your beans but not kill them. Don't know if that is true.

If there is a plus side the deer hammer the pigweed/waterhemp at my place. I almost didn't spray it because it was getting more browse than my beans.

But I'm not combining.

What are the ways to combat these types of weeds then?

A guy that has land a mile north of us ended up with some god awful weed a couple years ago that was resistant to anything he tried. He said the FSA recommended to let it grow all summer and plow it under in fall. And to do that again the following year.

Not sure if the guy is a BSer or not.... It would seem that would not be a workable fix if it was a farmers crop field to have it out of production for 2 full years to hope to get the weed under control.

Everything I've read recommends a few different modes of herbicides.

It's only a matter of time. The same mutation that made the corn/beans RR is happening in the target plants.

Mo I think you jinxed me...

I sprayed this 2 weeks ago, could be delayed from cool weather but man 2 weeks should be showing more signs of death.

I noticed a bunch driving in Iowa today where the pigweed was the only weed poking out of bean fields.

Don't know if butyrac is labeled for it but I sprayed some areas with it on my miscanthus and it laughed at that also.

211CCB8F-EFDE-43A7-8246-73BE1D4126A4-253-0000002209DC4245_zpsba276afd.jpg

I know that if you have time and are stupid, you can pull them out before thay get too bad.

I heard about this last summer. My uncle was (God rest his soul) a crop consultant in Jackson, MN. He said he had clients who were battling waterhemp last year to no avail. The guys that put down pre-emergent were doing fine, the ones who didn't were going 4x on the glyphosate and still failing. Gonna have to pull the old row cultivators outta the grove and get them sand blasted and painted up.

I know that if you have time and are stupid, you can pull them out before thay get too bad.

No thanks :). I pulled a few and they come out tough.

I heard about this last summer. My uncle was (God rest his soul) a crop consultant in Jackson, MN. He said he had clients who were battling waterhemp last year to no avail. The guys that put down pre-emergent were doing fine, the ones who didn't were going 4x on the glyphosate and still failing. Gonna have to pull the old row cultivators outta the grove and get them sand blasted and painted up.

You know the old row cultivator doesn't sound bad. Why not, there just food plots?

Mo,
We're you able to get liberty herbicide all season this year?

I remember ready in the past that it became hard to get into the growing season.

What's the cost difference on liberty and Gly.

What do you use for pre emergent? And is it for liberty or RR beans?

Sorry for all the Questions, I'm no farmer, just a weekend warrior

Thanks for the info.

Does this type of round-up resistance build up on a specific property over time with the same type of herbicide use or if your neighbors a mile away have the issue will you be more likely to see it? I'm curious more than anything else. The place we moved to about a year ago was a beef pasture for decades and likely hadn't been sprayed ever. Now we turned about 10 acres of the pastures to crop fields which I rent out to a friend. I have an acre that I plant to both beans and other food plots and with round-up my weed control has been great. But this is only my second spring of messing around with this stuff, so I would like to be as knowledgeable as possible about what might be headed my way. I live in SE MN in an area that's primarily corn, beans and alfalfa.

Ben,
I'm certainly no expert but I would say both. Seeds have a way of being transported via wind, animals, vehicles etc. I recently read that 1 water hemp plant can produce between 300,000 and 5,000,000 seeds so it only takes 1 bad egg to produce a problem.

I know I've always used gly on the higher end of what's recommended. But there is always that bit of drift on the outside edge of where your spraying. I'm seeing it in only 1 of my plots, the others are clean??? I assume it won't be long before its everywhere. I was wrong in thinking it laughed at 2-4 db, it just took longer then I though to work. As of yesterday the hemp sprayed with that is curling and yellowing.

Like Mo says be aware and prepare. I'm trying to formulate a plan of attack for next year.

The next weed to show up will be Palmer Amaranth. That one will be extremely nasty. It has worked its way up from down south as well and is now confirmed in Iowa!

Hey Mo, there was an article in the local paper recently about Palmer A. It's already a problem in soybeans here in KY too.

This problem scares me. I reluctantly used gly this year because I didn't have any other feasible option with the time available. I'm hoping a good no-till and mowing program will take hold in my plot plan. Right now, my biggest fear is thistles. We have them, but they're not a problem. I imagine if we'd turn the soil we'd unleash a thistle-geddon.

That's exactly what happens here. Disturb the soil in any manner and boom....thistles everywhere.
I was back at my dad's yesterday for a quick visit. He told me the cranberries were ripening, so I drove out to look at them. It was a tiny clover plot about 6 years ago. Hasn't been tilled since way back then. It's solid 5 foot tall thistles in there. Thankfully all my cranberry and chokecherry are above that with weed mats underneath.

Liberty has been no problem to get the last 2 years. And Bayer is building a new plant to keep up with demand in Michigan. Also there is a generic coming on the market that may cheapen things up the next few years. Seed Cost is under $40 a bag for Liberty Beans, verses Roundup at $50 or more. Liberty is $15 per pass, Roundup $5 per pass. Many products on the market for Pre's, Warrant, Optill Pro, Valor, Verdict, Fierce........

But Roundup is now known as just a grass killer because there are so many gly resistant weeds because of it. Cost may be more for Liberty, but weeds can cost way more than the herbicide and seed combined if continued to let grow during the season.
Liberty has been no problem to get the last 2 years. And Bayer is building a new plant to keep up with demand in Michigan. Also there is a generic coming on the market that may cheapen things up the next few years. Seed Cost is under $40 a bag for Liberty Beans, verses Roundup at $50 or more. Liberty is $15 per pass, Roundup $5 per pass. Many products on the market for Pre's, Warrant, Optill Pro, Valor, Verdict, Fierce........

But Roundup is now known as just a grass killer because there are so many gly resistant weeds because of it. Cost may be more for Liberty, but weeds can cost way more than the herbicide and seed combined if continued to let grow during the season.
I spoke with a neighbor that plants RR beans on RR beans for years he has horsetail weeds in one of his fields (horsetail just laughs at Gly.) This year he switched to Liberty Beans and that field is the cleanest I have ever seen it. I'm going to keep my eye on that field next year to see if the horsetail comes back.