Girdled crab question

Cuervo

5 year old buck +
I missed getting some screen on the trunk of one of the crabs I planted last year. Last week I noticed there are 3 shoots growing at the base of the trunk,the rest of the tree is dead. What would be your recommendations to salvage anything out of this?

Thanks

Yep. My first ever apple tree had the same thing happen to it. Within three years you'll be back where you were. Sucks, but it'll live.

I think the others guys assumed it is common knowledge so didnt mention it, but if it was a grafted crabapple very good chances that what is growing now is not the variety you had planted. No biggie wait to see what it becomes or graft it over to something else next year.

Thanks everyone, I'll get that done this weekend. I assume it's grafted, it's called a Hunters Jewel that's sold by Wolfrath's nursery here in Appleton and marketed as deer trees. I really don't care what it ends up being as long as it has apples on it and helps pollinate. One of these days I'll try grafting....maybe.

Let the rootstock grow for a couple of years and re-graft. Not difficult at all and the guys here can help.

It could still be the variety you bought. I have had many trees die for various reason and they have all grown back above the graft.