Giant Miscanthus

Real world miscanthus seem to be doing better in zone 4, I have some of the Illinois strain that have been growing for 10+ years and is good, but a lot of that has been winter killed or damaged. I’m optimistic for the real world variety. It’s off to a good start, I’m in year 2 with it

Does anyone have any experience with MG in zone 4b? It seems to be on the edge of its range. A few companies out there advertise that their variety grows up to Canada, but I’ve heard of some people having issues in colder climates (zones 4 and colder). I have a few growing right now as a test in an unprotected area and I don’t plan on pampering them. While they sound appealing and my test strip looks good for its first year of growth, it’s concerning to drop a big chunk of money into something that might get frozen out before it’s established.

Im 4b in NW Wisconsin and have a couple test areas with it it growing... I will snap a pic of it today if I get out to the farm. No issues with it growing here... might not have the growth that the southern people have but in density plantings it will make a nice perennial screen. Maybe takes a year longer to get that nice height established. But it will establish and start spreading.

Dunn County Wi, usda 4b, on heavy clay; GM in its 4th year

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 34
  • x.jpg
    x.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 34