Getting the ground work started on the Orchard

That's what I'd been thinking, but it seems really far when I lay it out on the ground.

No planting until I come back next week after my nerve frying (ablation). My hands are wonky this morning and I still need to be able to drive home yet. :(

Your trees look awesome! I have done a lot of clearing just enough to plant with the idea of opening things up later. Seems like nowdays, 50% of my time is spent "freeing up" what I've already planted. Also, thanks for the feedback on the brush cutter. Looks like something that might come in handy around my place as well. Good luck with the ablation.

DSC022491.jpg

25' it is.

The remesh really does vanish out there.

DSC022361.jpg

A couple trees moved out of the way to dry a bit.

DSC02232.jpg

DSC02231.jpg

This is just a section I hit with the brush cutter. I'll need to get those trees down before long as well.

DSC02240.jpg

Still a ton of work to do before the ground freezes, but I'm making progress. I sure wish I didn't have my knee ortho follow up today as it's perfect working weather up there.

Looking good jim! For spacing on B.118, I used 20' for my deer orchard. Keep up the good work & thanks for posting the photo's!

I could really piss off my line hunting neighbors by working out on this corner during rifle season. It wouldn't impact my friends hunting at all. :D

I'll keep plugging away until I can get these buried. I need to chop up more of the SW corner to make room for all of them on the grid, and I need to get more of the bigger downed stuff out of the Southern row's space, but I should be able to get them all in their permanent homes this fall. Pushing the flags in was pretty easy, so I don't anticipate it being all that tough digging either. It's a good ridge with at least reasonably dark top soil.

My back is aching just looking at the pics! ;)

My back is aching just looking at the pics! ;)
I think it would be a whole lot less work for Jim to plant those trees at my place!:D

Keep up the pictures, Jim.

Nerve bake went well. We'll see what tomorrow brings. :)

Well, I have 3 in the ground and a broken shovel (hit a root). Since I had a fire going, I switched to tree processing and got some more of those down and bucked. I did too much work bucking and cutting tops up on Thursday (hands wigged out), so I took it a bit slower today and didn't have any nerve problems.

First shovel of dirt revealed nice top soil.

IMAG1275.jpg

Each of the two holes I dug down were 9" of top soil over sand. The third, I just dug out the sod and placed the root ball in the hole.

The Foster Buckets© worked perfectly. Lifted the trees by the trunk and the whole thing came out minus the bottom layer of pea gravel.

Then it's just a matter of back filling the hole and watering in.

I've got window screens cut for all of them, and will get gravel when I buy my second roll of remesh. I have the weed cloth already, but won't put it down until I can cover it with the rock.

4 More went in today between raindrops. Not quite half way. :)

I got white crushed marble for my mulch. Should look nice, and keep the critters out.

More cutting, and only one more tree planted today. I need to get the remesh and gravel across the swamp before I can plant more.
IMAG1282.jpg

Half way there! :)

Still need the lumite, window screens, and gravel cover, but all my trees are in the dirt! :D

I guess I forgot to update this back in November. I worked in the late evening after dark opening weekend of rifle season and got all the trees set for winter with screen and gravel.

I was out in the orchard today checking on the trees and all is well. No sign of rodents.