Geotextile?

Good for you Jim.

135yds of fill later...

20150508_164702.jpg

We did 5 15yd truck loads of taconite tailings today. We're doing 5 more Monday, and then we're going to assess the remaining need.

They let u put a landing in, nice. How long is your road?

I have to have 25x something (I forget what depth from the asphalt) for the driveway per the township. I also needed room to turn out/in a 53' trailer semi and that was very clear from the get-go with the wetlands guy. Since the shoulder/ROW doesn't count against my impact, it doesn't cost me extra when I convert it either. :)

The silt fence is sold as 100', and I'm a bit beyond it now (need to clear brush this weekend and add another fence). The project states 250' of linear impact. I haven't measured it personally.

The land services supervisor was out a week or two back, when I just had the field stone down, and he complimented me on the work. They like what I'm doing so far. Now I just need to keep it from growing too wide going across, and I should be golden.

Culverts are in. Should make land on the other side by noon tomorrow if I guessed right. :)

20150512_085734.jpg

20150512_093629_1.jpg

20150512_144823.jpg

Looks like it's keeping you busy. Looking good.

240yds of tailings down, 15 still by the street - I'm able to drive across but need to cut trees to do anything other than back up again.

20150513_131057.jpg

Looks great Jim! Did they haul you those tailings out of Brainerd or elsewhere?

Came from a pit up in Crosby. It's about 45 minutes one way.

I had 25yds per trip on Monday and Wednesday (2 trucks in unison), and was almost able to keep up with them while moving rock to the back.

If I was allowed to make the road wider, we could've dumped in the roadway and pushed it over, but that was spilling over and crushing my silt fence and making a wider bed than I'm permitted for. As it is, I'll need to rent a mini-ex to clean up my edges, but that'll wait until later this summer. I need to get home and tend to my business for a few weeks.

This is what my first 45 hours of seat time looked like, only I had to back up until today.

255 yards are spread, probably need another 200 - but it's time to head home.

U should be proud looks awesome. I like how u pulled it off right by those cottages.

Nice job!

Thanks guys!

Aside from the gray battle ship McMansion (complainer #2), the overwhelming majority of residences on the lake are older cabins with a smattering of updated and rebuilt seasonal homes. New homes on our road are well under 3% of the 140 or so total. I've had several dealings with the neighbors over the past week (other than complainer's 1&2), and everyone's been very positive on the road's construction and our future plans to build. I've gotten to do some PR work explaining how I've been working around the weekend traffic, and that was well received too. So it's been a good week. It's also nice being able to drive across the swamp. :D

I swept up this morning before heading home. We're expecting a good day or so of rain starting right about now, so that'll help clean up the asphalt.

20150516_102018.jpg

And got a right side up, upside down, accidental selfie in my main culvert (the one further from the street is primarily for overflow). This should be pretty close to a normal water level, although it's been raining a bunch so it might be a little higher.

20150516_094210.jpg

The iron staining clears up pretty quick. I was pleased that by Wed afternoon the swamp was back to it's normal hues, because Tuesday it was very red and I was nervous about getting calls on it.

Took 4 more truck loads to cross a muddy area just beyond the swamp, but I have functional access to my high ground now. :D

This is the next stop for my cargo container.

20150604_164317.jpg

I took this quick before heading home today. I'm very tired and it shows. :oops:

Clearing trees with a root grapple and 7,000# behind it is really efficient. I went from 6' of clearance to around 18' in a couple hours just shoving downed trees to the sides of the trail. We'll buck these up and process them into firewood over the summer.

Youtube is trying to stabilize this, so I might have a better version if that works. Keep a barf bag handy if you get sea sick easily. :D