Garlon 3a for woody browse in CRP

H80Hunter

5 year old buck +
I was recommended this by the FSA office to spray some woody saplings creeping into my CRP field.

Can anyone help me understand what I should be mixing to spray? I’m only familiar with glyphosate where it’s a straightforward ounces per gallon mix.

Here is the full label. Check out page 6 for how much per acre based on what you’re controlling.

also I think page 3 for how far to stay from water.
http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld0AU010.pdf

What if I’m spot spraying and not spraying on a per acre basis. I’m still not sure how to read labels that well.

Spot spraying isn’t an exact science. (With me anyway)

Gly is 2 qts per acre. And I use 3 oz per gallon in a pump sprayer.

Garlon calls for pints per acre on the label. 2 pints per quart. So do the math that way. If it calls for 2 pints / acre use about 1.5 oz per gal in a pump sprayer.

Usually when we spot spray we always apply way more spray to a plant then if using a boom sprayer so you might end up over doing it/ using more than expected.

And at least read the warnings on the label :).

https://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/gtr/gtr_nrs96.pdf

Here’s everything you need to know on how to kill trees straight from the US Forest Service.

Once you pick your poison, go read the label.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I basal/stem spray a lot of 1 part Garlon 4 (the ester vs. amine) to 4 parts diesel which serves as the carrier/penetrant. Not sure the diameter of your woody encroachers but hit the bottom 8-10" of stem with a low pressure stream...dead.

I just did some work for the PA DCNR spraying barberry, MFR and autumn olive. The mix also contained gly, but it was Garlon 3A at 4 ounces per gallon, using water and surfactant as base. The state no longer allows cutting herbicides with diesel. Don't be afraid to spray foliage and root collars for best results.

What about MSO instead of diesel?

I didn't mean to imply diesel couldn't be used, it is just no longer recommended. I can't see why MSO would be an issue. I used regular cooking oil as a stop-gap once and had the same results as with basal oil.

Cooking oil? Good to know. Certainly cheaper than mso.

I used milestone to spray small groves of black locust and individual box elder trees on my land. It worked great and not targeted trees and bushes were not bothered by it. I am not sure if it is approved for use on CRP land.

I basal/stem spray a lot of 1 part Garlon 4 (the ester vs. amine) to 4 parts diesel which serves as the carrier/penetrant. Not sure the diameter of your woody encroachers but hit the bottom 8-10" of stem with a low pressure stream...dead.

Do you need a special sprayer for the diesel garlon 4 combo or will the standard cheap pump sprayers work? I'm going to try some basal spraying since that sounds a lot faster than cutting the brush and spraying the stump.

Ive used the cheap 1.5 gallon sprayers. I got them for $10 or so at TSC thinking I’d chunk it when the oil rotted the seals but it’s still going strong.