Full cash rent or leave standing crops?

Shares is probably more common than per acre rental.Cash rent can be better for landowner because he always gets the payment even if crop doesn't make.On 1/3s owner gets 1/3 of crop.This year we didn't harvest any of my 100 acres of beans,good thing I had insurance on the crop.At least I got 70% of 5 year average. Most properties you don't have to create a business to deduct costs you just have to make a profit sometimes.

Would be interested to learn how you file expenses without a business entity?

Do y’all sign contracts with farmers? My farmer mentioned it to me that he normally does 3-5 years but I’m going to tell him i don’t sign anything over on my property. I don’t want to be bound to anything. I’m still considering pulling my 60 acres of tillable out of rotation after this cycle.

Do y’all sign contracts with farmers? My farmer mentioned it to me that he normally does 3-5 years but I’m going to tell him i don’t sign anything over on my property. I don’t want to be bound to anything. I’m still considering pulling my 60 acres of tillable out of rotation after this cycle.
I wouldn’t do anything signed over one season at a time.

I don’t have a contract per se, but my farmer sends me a check in January every year. In the note is says field rental.

Kind of a contract?

I don’t have a contract per se, but my farmer sends me a check in January every year. In the note is says field rental.

Kind of a contract?
That’s what I got this year too. But he called me and said he normally gets a contract. I get it from his end but unfortunately for him I didn’t buy the property for farmers!
After my beans were harvested my fields were wastelands. Would be much better served as early succession with a couple larger plots mixed it. Just not brave enough yet to pull the trigger

Another thing that I’ve considered if I have him leave standing corn……..is that my plots are on the outside edges of my fields. The wildlife hammers the outside edges. So when I “buy” that corn , I’m essentially buying the worst parts of the field, with the least ears.

Another thing that I’ve considered if I have him leave standing corn……..is that my plots are on the outside edges of my fields. The wildlife hammers the outside edges. So when I “buy” that corn , I’m essentially buying the worst parts of the field, with the least ears.

In my area, deer will hammer 1st 15-18 rows. Beans are hard to grow as the deer destroy them.

Absolutely. My dad left the outside 12 rows this year in a spot. Didn't have a single ear in it. Lol

If you arrange for some crop to be left, spell it out in no uncertain terms in a written lease. No way would I have a random farmer working on my land without a lease.

Absolutely. My dad left the outside 12 rows this year in a spot. Didn't have a single ear in it. Lol

If you arrange for some crop to be left, spell it out in no uncertain terms in a written lease. No way would I have a random farmer working on my land without a lease.
What do you mean with the last part? Like you wouldn’t trust someone to farm it without a contract?

I learned that the hard way. On second year of lease farmer decided to only pay half the lease price because crop was not as good as he wanted. Then they agreed to lime 1st 3 years and i dropped the lease price a bit as concession. They only limed the 1st year.

I would write in the lease agreed upon crops, winter planting, liming, access points, trimming/removal of trees near field (you must agree), payment amount & times. There are probably more to consider.

I learned that the hard way. On second year of lease farmer decided to only pay half the lease price because crop was not as good as he wanted. Then they agreed to lime 1st 3 years and i dropped the lease price a bit as concession. They only limed the 1st year.

I would write in the lease agreed upon crops, winter planting, liming, access points, trimming/removal of trees near field (you must agree), payment amount & times. There are probably more to consider.
I’m looking for an excuse to drop the crops so if I get screwed that will make my decision super easy.

What do you mean with the last part? Like you wouldn’t trust someone to farm it without a contract?

No offense to anyone here, but in my experience, farmers are most likely to break agreement of all the business folks I have dealt with. I know 3 in my area that are well known for harvesting 2nd year and not paying land owner at all or shorting them by at least half.

Get it in writing, that's the only way to enforce it. And have locked gates on your property so you an control access.

Most guys are honest, but you don't want to get stuck with the 1 who isn't. It's just normal business to have a lease. Ask around for names who have a solid rep. I prbly wouldn't go with a big shark who rents most his ground and leases his machinery.

Last edited:
Most guys are honest, but you don't want to get stuck with the 1 who isn't. It's just normal business to have a lease. Ask around for names who have a solid rep. I prbly wouldn't go with a big shark who rents most his ground and leases his machinery.
Yeah my guy is salt of the earth type. Super honest. I have zero concerns about his character

It's no difference than having a rental house,You don't have to have a business to rent a house.If you claim losses you will want to claim profit sometime.You can claim your mileage if you say you are checking crops or fences and deduct your equipment.I don't though.I do deduct cost of fertilizer or expenses that I have on farm ground.Some states are different but in kansas if you don't have a written contract with farmer they can sub lease your ground and they control all the recreational rights.Most USDA offices have lease templets.There are also regulations on how to kick a farmer off your land.usually certified mail no later than 30 days prior to March 1st.

I could see a farmer not wanting to put a bunch of work - aka stay of when wet, lime, fertilizer, cover crops on a one year contract.

I trust my farmer more than I trust myself to care for my tillable ground. He’s done every single thing he told me he’d do, and everything I’ve asked him to do. No contract.

But he also knows his lease money means almost nothing to me and if he doesn’t do what he says, he’s gone in a NY minute.

I'd suggest a lease so everyone knows what's what - if doing cash per acre payment, the whole payment should be received in the spring before any work is done in the field.

You might want to also consider having the farmer provide proof of Public Liability / Farm Liability insurance - farming can be one of the more dangerous professions with big equipment and lots of chemicals and hate to have an accident related to farming activities on your property come back to bite you - sure it's not likely, but better safe than sorry.

I only have 6.5 acres of mediocre crop ground. It was hay ground before that I purchased it last year on my west border. I got a local farmer to plant it in corn in exchange for doing some other work like fire breaks, putting in a cover crop of wheat over winter and a couple of other things. I also kept some of the corn aside. It was a deal I was happy with because he was able to do some work I didn't have the equipment or time for.